Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tractor on the Great Southern Railway

• 04-01-2017 9:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    I remember my father telling me about a man who drove a specially modified tractor (to fit the wheels to gauge of the of the rail tracks) from Tralee to Limerick while the rail line was at that time recently shutdown. I'm a bit fuzzy on the details, but I was wondering would anyone here have heard of a similar story or give more details about this event. I can't seem to find anything about it on the internet.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,247 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

It sounds highly unlikely that a farmer would have to the trouble of adapting his tractor wheels for rails as a tractor would have easy moved up and down the lies with it's own tyres. Besides the novelty factor, it wouldn't have done a lot of good all told.

Perhaps he or somebody saw one that was used on permanent way trains or on the trains that lifted the track up and the story grew a little. There were tractors used in Dublin Port and Sligo to shunt small wagons. They only stood down a decade ago.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=16269&d=1418269141

There are knowledgeable others posting on here who may know better than me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Tractors were quite common delivering freight around Cork city up to the about 1980s. How CIE made money out of these I don't know, small bits of freight delivered at a snails pace. I never saw them on rails though.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bigfellalixnaw

I think my father said it was a Grey Harry tractor that was used on the railway. I think your man did it to raise money for charity. And I'm pretty sure if was done after the line became disused.
    Does this ring any bells with anyone here?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭k mac

Permanent way in at athenry used to use a small tractor with rail gear for maintenance up till about 25 years ago

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Magpie1951

https://youtu.be/zfFm5tAfOn4

See video of the Athenry Per Way tractor at 2:11 mins onwards in the above video kindly provided by Southern Yard's youtube channel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,542 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

Recall seeing a pic on this book of a MF35 fitted with flanged wheels (presumably bolted over the road wheels) and small 'train' of per way bogies. Don't remember what the location was.

http://andalus.ie/books/tales-of-the-permanent-way/

Also remember reading somewhere that the Cork Summerhill (ex C&YR) stub was traversed by a railway-owned Fordson tractor to reaffirm right of way for a time after it was disconnected (obvs. on tyres).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Bord na Mona escapee maybe ?

K1aPQ8o.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

or the more sensible straightforward approach :

gzxUYVo.jpg

Saw a pic floating around of a Fordson(?) beefed up front and rear with dumb buffers for shunting Alexandra docks. Don't recall if it had flanged wheels or not.

Recall seeing a pic on this book of a MF35 fitted with flanged wheels (presumably bolted over the road wheels) and small 'train' of per way bogies. Don't remember what the location was.

I don't suppose you have that photo by any chance?

• Advertisement

I don't suppose you have that photo by any chance?

I'll have a look, but won't be able to post it here, copyright and all that.

I'll have a look, but won't be able to post it here, copyright and all that.

Yeah, sure no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Magpie1951 wrote: »
    https://youtu.be/zfFm5tAfOn4

See video of the Athenry Per Way tractor at 2:11 mins onwards in the above video kindly provided by Southern Yard's youtube channel.

Well spotted. smile.png

Advertisement