Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Regaining fitness

• 04-01-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi

All I am looking for some guidance and some personal experiences of which route you think best for me to take when getting into shape.

A little background, up until about 18 months ago I had been in decent shape and enjoyed lifting weights and some running. Some personal circumstances lead me to gain quite an amount of weight over the past 12 months or so and have done absolutely no strenuous physical exercise in that time.

When choosing an exercise programme I must say that my knee is quite badly off due to a cruciate injury a number of years ago. I don't have any certain goal in mind but am looking for long term improvement with set goals along the way possibly. Btw I'm 30 5.8 and just now weighed in at 13.7 St. I have lead a healthy lifestyle before so I understand some of the things involved ie I'm not a total novice.

I would be grateful for your suggestions here and also some personal experiences from people who have started out in poor shape and overtime gained a decent level of fitness.

I can tell you that when I had a decent level of fitness I felt much better in general and there were knock on effects also.

Edit: I should also mention that the weight gain was caused mainly by large quantitys of alcohol consumption, five or so pints a most nights which went hand in hand with lots of fast food.

I now don't drink alcohol and plan not for the foreseeable future. If anyone has any good meal planning resources or tips on good meals to batch cook. Spices are something I love using
    TIA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Bandage

I'm no expert here but would a couch to 5km type programme be somewhere to start? Not sure if you're a gym member but mix it up with some swimming, exercise bike and/or weights and stepping up as you go along.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Well I think a good start would be to get your knee assessed by a physio before returning to any strenuous exercise, even something like swimming which is generally considered good for exercising with injuries but like all things, swimming technique done wrong can bring its own difficulties.

That aside, can you swim and do you enjoy it?.

Advertisement