Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Getting Hamster advice...

• 04-01-2017 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭

So Ive decided after some research Im going to get a pet hamster, more than likely a syrian.

I was mulling over the prospect of getting rats or a ferret but decided against it.

A hamster just seems more suitable.

Anyway I was thinking of going with a bin cage as from almost everything ive read pet shop cages are just too small. Ill find the biggest one I can get and probably attach another to it just for more space, id like it to be as big as possible. Anyone with any experience making these? Any cons to this type of cage?

Also looking for advice on the best substrate? found a lot of conflicting opinions about this topic.

And what is the best diet for a hamster? I remember when I had them as a child I fed it a mix from the petshop, will this suffice? I read you can give some vedge too.

I suppose thats it really, I'll have plenty of toys, hide spots and chews for him when I get sorted.

Any opinions or advice would be appreciated, anything Ive left out or should know?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've made bin cages in the past, op. I'm wrecked now but will come back in the morning when I'mNot fiddling around on my phone and can do a proper reply!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I've made bin cages in the past, op. I'm wrecked now but will come back in the morning when I'mNot fiddling around on my phone and can do a proper reply!!

Thank you, it would be much appreciated!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

It's been years since iv had hamsters but they're fun little guys. Never made a proper bin cage but did a lot of research on them, used to use one as a transport cage. Just make sure there's nowhere they can get a hold into with their teeth.

I used carefresh and kitchen towel as a substrate. They generally pick a corner as a toilet so it's possible to litter train them into going in a jar or container although I was never successful. Stay away from that cotton wool type bedding, there's mixed opinions on wood shavings too.

I used to use bags of pre mixed hamster food, can't remember which one. Didn't like the pet shop premix that you bag yourself as hamster, gerbil, rabbit and guinea pig food all seemed to be labelled up as one and they all have different nutritional needs.

Used to turn our bath into a playground with loads of toys and leave her in there when I was cleaning the cage as it was escape proof. If your buying a wheel buy the biggest one that'll fit in your cage, preferably a rat wheel, it's easier on their backs.

Ok, now that I have a keyboard I can write a proper reply!!!

I would agree with everything Zapperzy said re the substrate (Carefresh is great, if you've a bin cage it's perfect, if your cage has bars it goes EVERYWHERE though. You can use wood shavings too).

For my bin cage I used the large IKEA Samla boxes (says currently out of stock in Dublin, but they are usually there). I used two and cut holes in the lid of one and the bottom of the other and put them on top of each other, for extra room (I taped them together so they always sat right and for security- hammies can be great escape artists!!). I used one of these as a mezanine shelf on the bottom, with a ramp I made out of lollipop sticks leading up to it to so Twitch could get up. The bottom level was mostly taken up with the wheel (I'd recommend the Karlie Wonderland wheel (rat size) as it doesn't squeek and is so smooth for them to run on.

You have to make sure to punch loads of air holes in the boxes or take out a panel and cover with chicken wire- ventilation in bin cages is really really important. I used a hot poker to create holes for that and also for attaching things I made or bought (like ramps, dangle toys, some of these platforms) with strong cable ties (I didn't have a drill at the time, now I'd just use one!).

You can have great fun with bin cages, I'd really recommend looking up some cage tours on Youtube. (Erins Animals in particular is a great hamster resource, she does toy making tutorials too). The main cons with bin cages are that you have to create loads of good ventilation, and you have to make sure that they're secure (get some of the samla clips if you're going with that type!). It can also be tricky attaching things to it, but you have the space to make some great little adventure playgrounds for hammies if you have some imagination and a decent drill!

I also made a cage out of an old ikea study desk, if you're interested. I did a thread on making it here. At the end of that thread you can see one of the bin cage setups I had too (that was a bit of a hack job, we made a much cleaner one afterwards. It's a lot of experimentation!!).

I miss having hamsters. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭willmunny1990

I don't live anywhere near an IKEA unfortunately but I was looking at this in my local woodies http://www.woodies.ie/wham-133-ltr-crystal-box-lid-1101187

And maybe attach another smaller one to it with a tube.

• Advertisement

I don't live anywhere near an IKEA unfortunately but I was looking at this in my local woodies http://www.woodies.ie/wham-133-ltr-crystal-box-lid-1101187

And maybe attach another smaller one to it with a tube.

That looks grand, I just automatically go with IKEA!

Be careful with a Syrian and a tube. The tubes you typically buy can be too small for a decent sized Syrian, and they can get stuck and dehydrate really quickly. We learned the hard way that when you cut a hole for a tube unless you get the fit BANG ON it leaves room around the tube in the hole- and hamsters are magicians, they can get through the TINIEST of cracks. If you're putting them next to each other I would just cut two equivalent holes and make sure they are 100% flush and incredibly secure. Or do what I did and put them on top of each other, with a hole in the lid of one and the bottom of the other. That makes the same surface area for the hammy take up much less room in your house. Plus hammies like climbing so it gives them another type of activity which is different to just running around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hi there!

I have a Roborovski dwarf hamster so not entirely the same but I have owned Syrians in the past.

With my syrian in the past, we always used plain sawdust from a pet shop and a bag mix of food but gave him fresh veggies each week. Only small pieces and veggies that were high water content, rather than high sugar content.

With bagged food, I would be very careful of sugar content. I've had a diabetic dwarf before and it was due to the food :(

For bedding, I always give tissue paper or the already shredded tissue you can get from the store. They like to carry it around and there is no worries of them getting caught in it, inhaling it. Etc.

I am so happy to hear how much research you have done. There are usually so many uneducated people getting hamsters :(

Advertisement