Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tulip bulbs

Options
  • 04-01-2017 10:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭

I live in an area where spring is late, high altitude etc..

Do you think I'd get away with planting tulip bulbs now and have them flower in May ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

_Brian wrote: »
    I live in an area where spring is late, high altitude etc..

Do you think I'd get away with planting tulip bulbs now and have them flower in May ??

Only one way to find out!.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭lottpaul

If your site is not too exposed, gets some sunshine and above all is not waterlogged/even damp then you should be ok, but based on my own experience most bulbs are "programmed" to flower at a certain time in their first year (based on where they were grown before sale) and it's only in the second and following years that they adapt to their new conditions.
    Always worth a try though - what have you to lose?? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Growth may be a little stunted in the first year but they should be ok after that.

Advertisement