Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What happens to the driver that kills someone on the road

• 04-01-2017 11:32pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭

I couldn't find any cases specifically in Ireland. So tonight a person was killed on the M50 by a lorry and it looks like the lorry driver is innocent since the person was walking on the motorway and assumed to be killing himself, so what will happen to the driver or what will likely to happen to him if it is found that it could not have been avoided. Will he go to prison for manslaughter anyway?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,921 ✭✭✭gifted

Could you not wait till all the facts are known before putting it up on Boards?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 331 ✭✭Johnboner

gifted wrote: »
    Could you not wait till all the facts are known before putting it up on Boards?

This is not the first time it has happened and I just wanted to know what happens in such scenarios, obviously this is not the first time this has happened here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭midnight city

If the driver is not at fault in cases like that then they will not go to prison.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

...and why is it important to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,346 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

The Gardai will investigate and if it is found due to careless or dangerous driveing then the driver will be prosecuted.

I don't know why you're assuming that the guy killed was walking on the M50 as there is nothing in the news about that, he could have been another driver that stepped out of his car due to a breakdown. In the UK, I've read that there are a substantial number of motorway accidents and deaths from truck drivers verering into parked cars on the hard shoulder, presuambly because of the monotony of driving on the motorway leading to lapses of concentration that suggest that the hard shoulder is the left lane.

• Advertisement

me_irl wrote: »
    ...and why is it important to you?

Curiosity as I know some countries sentence people to prison even if it is not their fault.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 43 Senator Palpatine

This thread is probably in bad taste.

To answer your question, nothing will happen to the driver, nor should it.

And the poor driver's conscience should be clear.

RIP the poor troubled individual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,212 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Like train drivers, even though they could do nothing to avoid it, they live with guilt for the rest of their lives.

The Gardai will investigate and if it is found due to careless or dangerous driveing then the driver will be prosecuted.

I don't know why you're assuming that the guy killed was walking on the M50 as there is nothing in the news about that, he could have been another driver that stepped out of his car due to a breakdown. In the UK, I've read that there are a substantial number of motorway accidents and deaths from truck drivers verering into parked cars on the hard shoulder, presuambly because of the monotony of driving on the motorway leading to lapses of concentration that suggest that the hard shoulder is the left lane.

I am more interested what happens in general not in this particular case. Just wondering if you are innocent do you still get sent to prison even for a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Johnboner wrote: »
    I am more interested what happens in general not in this particular case. Just wondering if you are innocent do you still get sent to prison even for a few months.

Why would an innocent person get sent to prison?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,351 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

If your driving was not responsible for the incident then no you wouldn't be going to court or prison.

fg1406 wrote: »
    Why would an innocent person get sent to prison?

Same reason some innocents get the death penalty and then get pardoned after being executed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭fg1406

Same reason some innocents get the death penalty and then get pardoned after being executed.

So what you're saying that if the DPP prosecute on the basis of a Garda investigation and that driver is found guilty in a court of law, they could still be innocent?

fg1406 wrote: »
    So what you're saying that if the DPP prosecute on the basis of a Garda investigation and that driver is found guilty in a court of law, they could still be innocent?

Yes

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,403 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

So tonight a person was killed on the M50 by a lorry and it looks like the lorry driver is innocent since the person was walking on the motorway and assumed to be killing himself

Let me stop you right there. This will be subject to an investigation. Let's not speculate.

And you've already got your answer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement