Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk / Blackrock Property

Options
  • 05-01-2017 12:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I'm currently looking at purchasing in Dundalk or Blackrock. I'm 50/50 at the minute - i've some people saying stay in town. Others say go to Blackrock (re-sale value one of main reasons).

I notice houses for sale in Medebawn, Mount Hamilton and Carlinn Hall in town. Anyone anything to tell me about these areas? I would be interested to hear any views.

The whole Blackrock address thing i'm conscious of - but 4/5 years from now theres a strong possibility I won't be based in the region. Therefore i'd like to think the extra 30-40k I might pay for Blackrock - I am likely to get back with demand for property there.

Any thoughts welcomed !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Mount Hamilton isn't built yet and you'd do well to steer clear. It's a bog. Cementing a bog doesn't make the bog go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Californeeway

If I was to buy in Dundalk I'd make sure to be beside the train station as being beside the rail line in a commuter town will be a big bonus in a few years. Also you're just a walk away from the centre on nights out, taxi's are a nightmare these days.

Blackrock has a bit of a premium built in to the house prices alright. It's good for pubs and restaurants but you won't spend much time swimming around in the sea! Not sure about quick reselling, some of the houses I've seen there have been on daft for a while.

Medebawn isn't exactly in the centre of town its just off a busy road that connects about 12 other housing estates and retail park. Carlinn Hall is also just outside town but handy being beside the college and a matthews coach stop. It's had its issues which can be found on another thread but I'd imagine that's sorted. A lot of the other new builds on daft aren't actually built just yet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭10green bottles

Can't understand the whole " taxi's are a nightmare these days" thing and not trying to take the thread in another direction but whats the problem there?
    I don't live in town but whenever i'm it and need a taxi i ring one and its there within at least 10 mins(i use all the taxi firms,if one says delays i ring another)
    Dundalk on the whole has a very good taxi service.
    And no,i'm not a taxi driver,

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Californeeway

Can't understand the whole " taxi's are a nightmare these days" thing and not trying to take the thread in another direction but whats the problem there?
    I don't live in town but whenever i'm it and need a taxi i ring one and its there within at least 10 mins(i use all the taxi firms,if one says delays i ring another)
    Dundalk on the whole has a very good taxi service.
    And no,i'm not a taxi driver,

In general they're great I agree. My point really was in relation to the hours of 2am to 4am in that I remember it being much easier to flag one down over the last few years compared to very recently. It would be much handier to be able to walk home and a notable advantage of living in close by.

I've genuinely never had an issue flagging a taxi coming home from a night out. I'll generally walk towards Brus and either have one before I get there or when I get there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭ErinGoBrath

MugMugs wrote: »
    Mount Hamilton isn't built yet and you'd do well to steer clear. It's a bog. Cementing a bog doesn't make the bog go away.

We have a booking deposit down on one of these so now I'm starting to worry!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭event

Are you from dundalk?

event wrote: »
    Are you from dundalk?

Yep

The houses are piled. You can see the drivers down the back of the site. Whilst the houses should be relatively sound experience says that the same level of care isn't given to footpaths and driveways. Check out what scope they've given for drainage too.

I've walked that land and it's marsh at the best of times. Just make sure you've dotted your I's and crossed your T's.

Having bought a new build not far from you, I've learnt to never trust a mass build. And don't bother asking Duffy for reassurance. He'd sell snow to the eskimos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The houses are piled. You can see the drivers down the back of the site. Whilst the houses should be relatively sound experience says that the same level of care isn't given to footpaths and driveways. Check out what scope they've given for drainage too.

I've walked that land and it's marsh at the best of times. Just make sure you've dotted your I's and crossed your T's.

Having bought a new build not far from you, I've learnt to never trust a mass build. And don't bother asking Duffy for reassurance. He'd sell snow to the eskimos.

In fairness, Willow Grove is built on the same marshland.

• Advertisement

In fairness, Willow Grove is built on the same marshland.

And from memory both homes and the road are well elevated. Mount Hamilton is sloping the completely other direction.

Thanks for the info lads

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Think positively - maybe in twenty years your 2 story house will be a nice bungalow with a basement :-)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

The houses built first up near the Carrick Road entrace to Mount Hamilton shouldn't be too bad but anything further back than 50m I'd avoid like the plague. Grew up nearby and that whole piece of land sandwiched between the Carrick and Ardee roads is total marshland year-round. As mentioned above, piling might help, but you only have to look at the rigmarole surrounding The Marshes Shopping Centre to see what happens when you build on a marsh.

I wouldn't trust any large-scale developer to spend whats necessary to do it right to avoid long-term issues. And I'd guarantee 'Urban Life' is nowhere to be found in ten or twenty years when your house is flood or split down the middle. Steer clear IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Balmers Bog on the Dublin Road is almost completely built on but the water levels have to go somewhere (Marshes SC) and it will be the same at Mount Hamilton. The houses may be ok but but any build closer to the centre will have to be built at levels to escape extreme weather/rainfall that can happen. I'd be worried if I were in Railway Terrace even as the annual flooding on the Ardee Rd just after the former brewery could be pushed higher by a build at Mount Hamilton (and Balmers Bog backing on to the Ardee Rd too). As for Mount Hamilton well due diligence needs to be done on whether the houses will be on piling above the highest flood levels and with signed agreements with builders on future risk of flooding if it occurs otherwise it will be all caveat emptor from them imo. But Pearse Park, Friary, Anne Street through to the Long Walk, Avenue Rd, St Mary's Rd etc etc was all marsh land too in the past so if drainage is appropriate...well time will tell.

As for OP I wouldnt be overly thinking about the premium on Blackrock as as has been mentioned that premium doesnt mean that there will be an easy sell on in the future. But there are pros and cons to both and depend on what yer looking for eg with family Blackrock, Dublin Rd, Haggardstown et would probably be more suitable. Single or couple with no kids and will be heading out at the weekends then in town itself and if commuting then as close to the train/coach stops as possible is what id be looking at.

Advertisement