Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting attic converted in 2 weeks

Options
  • 05-01-2017 1:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭

Hi,

We are getting the attic coverted in 2 weeks time.

I know this is asked alot of times but just hear me out.

I was wondering what your opinion is regarding wiring and future proofing.

When we got our extension done 3 years ago I ran cat 6 all over the bottom of the house and put my central point (Patch panel, Switch, Modem, Synology NAS) in the front room which in hine sight was a bad idea.

Current setup downsatirs,

All cat6 cable running downs stairs is patched to a patch panel.

Is there a way of running one cat6 cable from the modem or switch down in the front room to the attic? If memory serves me right all the lats (not sure that's the right wording) inside the wall are running horizontilly and it would be a disater / near impossible to run it up inside the walls to the attic.

I want to run cat6 cable, speaker cable (for surround sound) and Sat cable to different pointsaround the attic. I want to have CCTV (IP) out the front and the back of the house (just under the roof at the top of the house) but if I don't have a direct connection to the switch down stairs it probably won't be worth it as I would have to use wifi extenders etc.

what do you think would be the best option? Any hel would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
    BobbyT28

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,018 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would bring all the upstairs Cat6 cables to an upstairs patch panel, connected to a switch and connect the switch to the downstairs central location with a Cat6 cable (I would run two cables for redundancy or future expansion).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

I would bring all the upstairs Cat6 cables to an upstairs patch panel, connected to a switch and connect the switch to the downstairs central location with a Cat6 cable (I would run two cables for redundancy or future expansion).

That's what I'm gonna try do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭BobbyT28

Any decent unmanaged switches you can recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Check it first. Cheapest option would be to run a single cable to the front room. But they might have run the upstairs through the attic and down a single channel into the front room.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,018 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

BobbyT28 wrote: »
    Any decent unmanaged switches you can recommend?

No, sorry .... but I have plans to acquire this one if I do not read anything that dissuades me :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00CUG8ESM/ref=pe_1958571_166681491_em_1p_0_lm

Unmanaged version
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B003UWXFM0/ref=pe_1958571_166681491_em_1p_1_lm

They are available in 16 port versions.

• Advertisement
Advertisement