Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards for Bali in April

Options
  • 05-01-2017 6:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭

Going on my first surf trip in April to Bali. Going to Padang Padang surf camp, so will be taken to waves every day suited to my ability. I'd say I'm at the lowest level of intermediate. I surf almost every day for 2 hours, but usually pretty terrible mushy waves without much shape. My main board at the min is a 5'7 Chilli Miami Spice - just under 31 litres. I'm 5'11 and around 68 kg, so the board still has a decent amount of foam for me.

My question is this: Should I even bother bringing my Chilli? Looking at pics from the surf camp from last April, the waves all look okay for my board, but everything I've read online suggests a longer, narrower board with a pulled in tail. Is that really necessary for an intermediate surfer looking for weaker waves around the Bukit? Should I search the shops here (Sydney) for some second hand boards to take instead, or should I just rent boards from the surf camp. They've told me they've a pretty large selection, but I'm just not sure I want to wait and see what they have for me.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially people who've surfed the bukit before. Keep in mind I won't be padding out in overheard Ulus or anything like that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭saltrock2007

Hi Punk_one. You're in sydney? just ask the locals at your break if they've been to bali (they more than likely will have) and they'll tell you what they bring. You surf mushy waves there? Surfing a 5'7 when you're 5'11 is good going, you're fit so. That board is for mushy waves though, and you could do with something more pinny, padang padang and bingin are pretty critical barrells. You might want to bring something 6'1 with a tighter tail, the waves are fast and hollow. I wouldnt buy a new board in Sydney, you'll get them stupidly cheap over there in Kuta. If you're looking for mellower waves, go for dreamland or belangin. If you're feeling like a bit of travel, medewi up northwest of bukit is really fun intermediate wave
    punk_one82 wrote: »
    Going on my first surf trip in April to Bali. Going to Padang Padang surf camp, so will be taken to waves every day suited to my ability. I'd say I'm at the lowest level of intermediate. I surf almost every day for 2 hours, but usually pretty terrible mushy waves without much shape. My main board at the min is a 5'7 Chilli Miami Spice - just under 31 litres. I'm 5'11 and around 68 kg, so the board still has a decent amount of foam for me.

My question is this: Should I even bother bringing my Chilli? Looking at pics from the surf camp from last April, the waves all look okay for my board, but everything I've read online suggests a longer, narrower board with a pulled in tail. Is that really necessary for an intermediate surfer looking for weaker waves around the Bukit? Should I search the shops here (Sydney) for some second hand boards to take instead, or should I just rent boards from the surf camp. They've told me they've a pretty large selection, but I'm just not sure I want to wait and see what they have for me.

Any advice would be appreciated, especially people who've surfed the bukit before. Keep in mind I won't be padding out in overheard Ulus or anything like that.

Advertisement