Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacks in Dublin City Center Organised on Facebook

Options
  • 05-01-2017 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭

Did anybody read this article Attack On Shoppers? This is very scary and a lot of innocent people hurt in the process,
    What is happening in Dublin???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sounds like made up rubbish, how could it take 10 days for this to come to the media if tens of thousands would have been in the area to witness it at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Id say it has been sitting on someones desk since the holidays...Classic Irish "Breaking News" ten days later

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Sounds like made up rubbish, how could it take 10 days for this to come to the media if tens of thousands would have been in the area to witness it at the time?

Also, this line:
    The incident worsened shortly after 7pm as thousands of shoppers descended on the city centre to take advantage of the post-Christmas sales.

What time do shops stay open til on Stephens day?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

The only thing new about that is that it was arranged on Facebook, I can remember kids in my hometown organising big scraps through word of mouth. People would turn up in a field and a few punches would be thrown and then that would be it. This doesn't seem all that different really.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,384 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

That's what I thought

Shoppers descending at 7PM

Sounds like a fake news plant to me

• Advertisement
    M

“At one point about 90 to 100 youths came running up the street together. They were all shouting at the same time and filming themselves with their phones,” a Mary Street sales assistant said.
    No evidence of any video of the riots with this article, surely there should be hundreds of clips uploaded from all those involved and from the shoppers who would have also had phones to record this.

An assistant manageress of another shop said: “We heard it was all arranged on Facebook. A crowd of kids meeting up for a fight. I was very worried about leaving the shop to go home.
    A ha ha ha ha, did a journalist for a national newspaper actually use the term manageress in 2017?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

sounds like sensationalist rubbish to me.

More likely a load of teenagers hanging around. Some scuffle happened and he said/she said/ blah blah/ blown out of proportions.*

dont believe the 'we closed our shops shutters to protect customers' at 7pm nonsense. while shops do this from time to time, i'd suspect it was more the shop was closing anyways (but on stephens day, i'd expect the shops were closed already at 7).

as few as five gardai were on hand to deal with the situation and directed the teenagers to leave the area.

Sounds like there werent that many trouble makers around...more so people watching a small bit of an incident.

Best 'quote' of the article

“I’d like to tell them to stop their stupid behaviour,” he said.

*although if some videos turn up showing a larger crowd rioting, i'll take that back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

What a NO story! It's absolute garbage - lets have a look at some of the 'facts'

250 involved - If that were the case there would have had to have been a serious deployment and a riot plan invoked by the Garda - and you will note that the strapline says 'as little as five gardaí at the scene" - is this an agenda led article?

250 and 5 people injured - I like those "fight club" odds - was it in a handbag boutique.

7pm on Mary St -Jasus stray dogs were the only witnesses then. No shoppers about St Stpehen's Night on Henry Street and shops mainly closed and any that did open shut at 5.

With all those testosterone fueled youths -all tech savvy - and not a clip to be seen. The "goto" Youtube has a clip "Fight Breaks out on Henry Street" - it's two years old.

I've re-worked their by-line in the attached to lend some credence to the story!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I would have thought that this would be all over social media and the "shoppers" would be onto Joe Duffy and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

I just read the comments at the bottom of this tale - staggering the amount of people that took it at face value - one calling for the Garda to be armed and another for the re-introduction of the Borstel system!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭donaghs

Strange how nothing about it in the news until now. If this the first draft of the account, will probably have to wait and see to get the drip-feed details on what actually happened, or if it was anything major at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

NO shops were open in town at 7pm on St.Stephen's Day except maybe a newsagent so that just rubbishes the whole story really.

M

In the era of fake news this story is a prime example of 100% fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

Well something must have happened...if there is smoke there is fire....I wouldn't be so quick to brush this off as Nothing news,,,,It is very strange that it only came out today, is the Indo known for printing fake storeys?,,,I would have thought they would be pretty reliable!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Fox Hound wrote: »
    Well something must have happened...if there is smoke there is fire....I wouldn't be so quick to brush this off as Nothing news,,,,It is very strange that it only came out today, is the Indo known for printing fake storeys?,,,I would have thought they would be pretty reliable!

What's clear is that what was reported didn't happen, irrespective of any smoke/fire metaphors.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

I thought the same. The report I read had a quote from a witness saying loads of people were recording it, but if you go looking for footage there's nothing to be found. It's unlikely in this day and age that there's loads of footage just sitting on peoples phones and not put straight on you tube.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

The Indo. Reliable! Please tell me you're having a laugh.

It's the Indo - it's practically the Sun at this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,317 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

The Indo. Reliable! Please tell me you're having a laugh.

The innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

“I’m black and look younger than I am and I was afraid the teenagers would think I was a member of one of the gangs and attack me. The store manager walked me to my bus stop.”

Kinda makes it sound like there was a ethnic tinge to the gangs.

Who knows these days when you can't trust the news to be true or the truth to be news. A lot of news stories are just copy and paste from someone elses news story.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Fox Hound wrote:
    Is the Indo known for printing fake storeys?,,,I would have thought they would be pretty reliable!

They ran an article the other week saying Kym Owens (the girl seriously injured in Maynooth) may have actually been hit by a car. It wasn't covered in a single other news outlet and they deleted it without comment, explanation or retraction a few hours later.

So I would say yeah, they have been known to print fake stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

psinno wrote: »
    “I’m black and look younger than I am and I was afraid the teenagers would think I was a member of one of the gangs and attack me. The store manager walked me to my bus stop.”

Who knows these days when you can't trust the news to be true or the truth to be news. A lot of news stories are just copy and paste from someone elses news story.

I was going to highlight that line. One of the clearest signs there's a sinister ulterior message behind this bull**** story.

Easy Rod wrote: »
    I was going to highlight that line. One of the clearest signs there's a sinister ulterior message behind this bull**** story.

Or it could be why there are only 3 stories about it. Works both ways.
    Would be easier to know if they were independently sourced but I suspect they aren't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Mary63

I stopped off in Citywest because my daughter wanted to buy KFC food.She came back to the car and said she wasn't allowed into the restaurant.I went to buy the take out then and the security guard said no unaccompanied teenagers were being allowed in.As I walked back to the car I noticed a big gang of black teenage males being chased by security Guards and then about five cars with security men inside circled the carpark.I got out of there as fast as I could and never went back.

I think Dublin has got so violent, its young men being attacked and stabbed for looking sideways at someone and often attacked for no good reason but because someone was angry.Teens are now going out carrying knives and they think nothing of using them, before it was a punch that would be thrown.I don't know what is causing all this hatred.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

"The incident worsened shortly after 7pm as thousands of shoppers descended on the city centre to take advantage of the post-Christmas sales."

Yeah........ the thousands of shoppers, all with cameras on their phones.
    The thousands of shoppers who have not posted any image or footage of this "riot" on social media.

Mary63 wrote: »
    I stopped off in Citywest because my daughter wanted to buy KFC food.She came back to the car and said she wasn't allowed into the restaurant.I went to buy the take out then and the security guard said no unaccompanied teenagers were being allowed in.As I walked back to the car I noticed a big gang of black teenage males being chased by security Guards and then about five cars with security men inside circled the carpark.I got out of there as fast as I could and never went back.

I've been up to Citywest dozens of times visiting various places there and never seen any problem around that shopping centre. You must've been unlucky tbh.

I was down in the Whitewater shipping centre in Newbridge the Christmas before last and there was a big fight between a load of teenagers while I was there. Doesn’t mean I'll never go back though.

Did your anecdote have to include the colour of the teenage males skin by the way?

Did anybody read this article Attack On Shoppers? This is very scary and a lot of innocent people hurt in the process,
    What is happening in Dublin???

What's the story with spelling centre the American way nowadays by the way?

psinno wrote: »

Or copy and paste from Facebook which is even worse.

pilly wrote: »
    Or copy and paste from Facebook which is even worse.

I think the worst are "people are pissed off about X" (according to 5 people on twitter).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Funny enough, typing St Stephens day Mary Street into YouTube yields no results...

Advertisement