Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacks in Dublin City Center Organised on Facebook

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

psinno wrote: »
    I think the worst are "people are pissed off about X" (according to 5 people on twitter).

Yeah, last nights headline was "Celeb BB rocked by racism scandal" already! Because of a few tweets!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Fox Hound wrote: »
    if there is smoke there is fire
    Uuh...no there's not. Very possible to have a lot of smoke and not a single flame.

It's one of the dumbest metaphors out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I was in town St Stephens day, I also live a stones throw from Mary st and heard nothing....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Muhammed_1

The disbelief is strong on Boards.

The Guards said as follows.
    Officers at Store Street Garda Station are continuing to investigate the orgy of violence as a public order incident.

This group have been causing absolute havoc in the city over the last few weeks.

“They’ve been threatening security staff with knives but what happened on St Stephen’s Day was far worse though,”
    said a source.

It seems that this was a large group of black and minority youths. That is implied as the black person working in a shop says that they were afraid that they'd be associated with one of the groups.

It is appropriate to mention the colour of the youths skin if the colour of their skin was a characteristic feature of the group. If the group was majority black it is acceptable to report that.

The Police say that this incident was real. The lack of reporting suggests a cover up.

I don't think this problem can be resolved and I expect serious violence among youths in Dublin in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Muhammed_1 wrote: »
    The Police say that this incident was real. The lack of reporting suggests a cover up.

Nope. The Herald quote 'a source'. It's an unattributed quote, and not even ascribed to the Store St. gards.

The lack of reporting suggests a non-story. Your distaste for multiculturalism seems to be clouding your critical comprehension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

....The Police say that this incident was real. The lack of reporting suggests a cover up....

What about the lack of video footage? 250 youths (according to the report) fighting on a street in the city centre and not one piece of video footage on social media? These would be the same youths that put every part of their lives on social media. What they have for breakfast, what movie they're at etc but not one of these people puts anything on social media? This is some cover up!

Officers at Store Street Garda Station are continuing to investigate the orgy of violence as a public order incident.

This group have been causing absolute havoc in the city over the last few weeks.

“They’ve been threatening security staff with knives but what happened on St Stephen’s Day was far worse though,”
    said a source.

That clearly suggests that the quote is from a Garda source. If the source is not a Garda source then the paper is being deliberately misleading.

I can only comprehend what's written in the paper.

If that source is not a Garda source then please take it up with the Indo.

As for the lack of video footage. I cannot say why that might be if indeed it is true but the absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

Dubguy
    I was on Henry Steet and it was like being at an underage disco full of angry teens in Nairobi. They were highly aggressive towards other people of their own age group and very intimidating even to adult man who's lived in inner city Dublin all his life. Ireland just isn't what it used to be anymore.

Did someone vote for this?
    Can this discuss this issue?

alastair wrote: »
    Your distaste for multiculturalism seems to be clouding your critical comprehension.

Can you stop attacking posters please and can you instead attack the points made please.

Labelling and name calling doesn't work anymore. Sticks and stones etc.

That clearly suggests that the quote is from a Garda source. If the source is not a Garda source then the paper is being deliberately misleading.

Tabloid misrepresentation! How unexpected!

There's no linkage between the Store St. assertion of a public order incident and the quotes from 'a source'. Ask yourself why not. This is an issue for your comprehension skills, not the tabloid yellow journalism.

Can you stop attacking posters please and can you instead attack the points made please.

Labelling and name calling doesn't work anymore. Sticks and stones etc.

Just calling it as I find it. Honesty is the best policy etc.

Points you raised fully addressed btw.

• Advertisement

The Police say that this incident was real.
    There is no evidence that anything happened. No reliable eyewitness statements, no reliable journalist reports (7pm on St. Stephen's Day, really?), no videos or screenshots, and no official statements.

There is just as much evidence that five people got into a scrap on Henry St and some journalist desperate for a column filler made the rest up.

This bit in particular made me laugh:
    as many as five people are believed to have been assaulted.
    It reminds me of this:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

seamus wrote: »
    There is no evidence that anything happened. No reliable eyewitness statements, no reliable journalist reports (7pm on St. Stephen's Day, really?), no videos or screenshots, and no official statements.

There is just as much evidence that five people got into a scrap on Henry St and some journalist desperate for a column filler made the rest up.

This bit in particular made me laugh:It reminds me of this:

Or, the media are applying 'Cologne levels of radio silence' because they'd rather set their heads on fire then report a negative story about ethnic minorities, so you get a mealy mouthed article that's light in facts. Queue the picture of the one black lad on the local winning GAA team as an example of multicultural success....

I presume the black lady working in the newsagents is 'not a reliable wittness'? Or the Guards that arrived in squad cars that scattered them?
    As for those complaining that this can't have happened because they can't find the youtube video, get with the future folks, whatsapp and vine are were it's at these days!

conorhal wrote: »
    Or, the media are applying 'Cologne levels of radio silence' because they'd rather set their heads on fire then report a negative story about ethnic minorities, so you get a mealy mouthed article that's light in facts. Queue the picture of the one black lad on the local winning GAA team as an example of multicultural success....

1. Cologne was far from unreported.
    2. Mealy-mouthed journalism is the Herald stock in trade, regardless of ethnicity, gender, or any other categorisation.
    3. Multiculturalism is a fact of life. Time to get used to it.

Indo wrote:

“This group have been causing absolute havoc in the city over the last few weeks.

“They’ve been threatening security staff with knives but what happened on St Stephen’s Day was far worse though,” said a source.

What appears above is a single paragraph in the newspaper report, and a complete paragraph. It's intended to be understood that the quoted source is a Garda source.

The text immediately above that quote in the paper is a separate paragraph, as is the text immediately below that quote. It's hard to see but the gaps are slightly bigger between paragraphs than between lines.

What I have quoted above is the entire paragraph from the paper and it's definitely intended by the reporter that the quote be attributed to an unnamed member of the Guards.

If the quote wasn't from the Guards it wouldn't have been included in the same paragraph.

Have I mis-comprehended?

Perhaps someone could ask the Indo?

I'm aware the Indo in a terrible newspaper but aren't they all nowadays?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

1. Cologne was far from unreported.
    Not true.
    2. Mealy-mouthed journalism is the Herald stock in trade, regardless of ethnicity, gender, or any other categorisation.
    True
    3. Multiculturalism is a fact of life. Time to get used to it.
    Not true.

What appears above is a single paragraph in the newspaper report, and a complete paragraph. It's intended to be understood that the quoted source is a Garda source.

The text immediately above that quote in the paper is a separate paragraph, as is the text immediately below that quote. It's hard to see but the gaps are slightly bigger between paragraphs than between lines.

What I have quoted above is the entire paragraph from the paper and it's definitely intended by the reporter that the quote be attributed to an unnamed member of the Guards.

If the quote wasn't from the Guards it wouldn't have been included in the same paragraph.

Have I mis-comprehended?

Combining assertions into a single paragraph might well be intended to 'imply' a linkage, but there's actually nothing published that confirms that linkage. If there was, you'd expect that they would, you know, publish it. It's standard tabloid misrepresentation and bluster.
    Perhaps someone could ask the Indo?

I'm aware the Indo in a terrible newspaper but aren't they all nowadays?

No, they're not.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

As for those complaining that this can't have happened because they can't find the youtube video, get with the future folks, whatsapp and vine are were it's at these days!

What's that about Vine, Grandpa?
    Near the end of 2016, Twitter announced plans to shut down the Vine app. The company has now announced that the six-second looping video service app will be officially discontinued on January 17.
    http://pitchfork.com/news/70694-vine-dies-on-january-17/

Not true.

Heh. How did you get to hear about it then?
    I know how I did - through the reporting of it - ALL OVER THE MASS MEDIA - for weeks on end.

and yeah - Sorry to confirm it - but multiculturalism isn't going away, nor is it anything new.

Tabloid misrepresentation! How unexpected!

There's no linkage between the Store St. assertion of a public order incident and the quotes from 'a source'. Ask yourself why not. This is an issue for your comprehension skills, not the tabloid yellow journalism.

There is a clear linkage.

The quote directly follows a reference to the Garda, and to Store Street, and to officers from Store Street.
    The quote is in the same paragraph as the reference to the Guards, and the paragraph contains nothing else.

Sloppy journalism. The reporter should have clarified that it was a Garda source and not merely a source.

If that quote is not from a Garda source then the journalist is being deliberately misleading.

Can you stop referring to my comprehension skills please?

There is a clear linkage.

No there's not. There's an insinuated linkage, which is enough for the lazy reader, but it's not an actual asserted linkage.

http://www.poynter.org/2014/anonymous-sources-leaving-journalisms-false-god-behind/249037/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

pilly wrote: »
    Fox Hound wrote: »
    Did anybody read this article Attack On Shoppers? This is very scary and a lot of innocent people hurt in the process,
    What is happening in Dublin???

What's the story with spelling centre the American way nowadays by the way?
    I'm dyslexic...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

I presume the black lady working in the newsagents is 'not a reliable wittness'? Or the Guards that arrived in squad cars that scattered them?

Vine's where it's at - ha,ha!
    https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/oct/27/twitter-vine-video-sharing-mobile-app-shut-down-costs

Either way, some footage is making it's way onto some sort of social media if the reports of 250 youth being there are to be believed.

Or, the media are applying 'Cologne levels of radio silence' because they'd rather set their heads on fire then report a negative story about ethnic minorities
    You mean the story about Cologne that's incredibly light on facts, that the media haven't stopping going on about for the last 12 months?
    Do a google search for "Angela Merkel" and "refugees" in 2016 and invariably Cologne will have been mentioned in the article, regardless of what it was about.
    I presume the black lady working in the newsagents is 'not a reliable wittness'?
    No. "We heard it was organised on facebook". Real rock solid stuff there. Pulitzer prize-winning.
    Or the Guards that arrived in squad cars that scattered them?
    There are no quotes from any Gardai in the article.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

A ha ha ha ha, did a journalist for a national newspaper actually use the term manageress in 2017?

No. Well, not "journalist" anyway, and "newspaper" is a stretch.
    But agree the whole thing is nonsense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

It seems very strange alright. I wouldn't take anything in the Indo/Herald/SW etc at face value. On the other hand, I witnessed something similar, albeit on a smaller scale, around a year and a half ago in the same location. Around 60-80 teens running up and down Henry Street and Mary Street roaring and screaming, threatening passersby, hitting and kicking each other. Some shops closed for a while. I didn't see any reports in the media at the time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

It seems very strange alright. I wouldn't take anything in the Indo/Herald/SW etc at face value. On the other hand, I witnessed something similar, albeit on a smaller scale, around a year and a half ago in the same location. Around 60-80 teens running up and down Henry Street and Mary Street roaring and screaming, threatening passersby, hitting and kicking each other. Some shops closed for a while. I didn't see any reports in the media at the time.

This sort of thing, locals kids in gangs running into shops and causing havoc is a regular thing in the north inner city. I pity the shop owners. Nothing racial about it.
    The old 'I'll say ya touched me tits' scares off most of the security staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

If this was a gang of white teenagers after hours would be calling for them to be jailed.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,629 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

PucaMama wrote: »
    If this was a gang of white teenagers after hours would be calling for them to be jailed.

Where in the article did it say they were not white?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Very strange that it was never mentioned anywhere before. Remember the last sort of similar thing, that donnybrook up in Howth a few years ago? Everyone knew about it a day later since it was all over the internet, there was a big boards thread and all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Now it was at the height of the st Stephens day shopping and shoppers were getting punched also it wasn't reported due to political correctness ( allegedly) http://theliberal.ie/political-correctness-stops-reporting-of-a-massive-riot-of-250-mostly-african-irish-youths-in-dublin-on-st-stephens-day/

Advertisement