Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attacks in Dublin City Center Organised on Facebook

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

Now it was at the height of the st Stephens day shopping and shoppers were getting punched also it wasn't reported due to political correctness ( allegedly) http://theliberal.ie/political-correctness-stops-reporting-of-a-massive-riot-of-250-mostly-african-irish-youths-in-dublin-on-st-stephens-day/

Lot of people commenting with what looks like genuine stories.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Lot of people commenting with what looks like genuine stories.

Really?

I count five comments. Ony the one from an actual claimed witness:
    Was there. Maybe like 20% at most were black.

The story itself is not exactly top notch journalism:
    Reminiscent of a scene from Baghdad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 279 ✭✭SkinnyBuddha

Pretty sh1t riot if it involved 250 youths and only resulted in 5 assualts

• Registered Users Posts: 82,630 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Now it was at the height of the st Stephens day shopping and shoppers were getting punched also it wasn't reported due to political correctness ( allegedly) http://theliberal.ie/political-correctness-stops-reporting-of-a-massive-riot-of-250-mostly-african-irish-youths-in-dublin-on-st-stephens-day/

There's Twitter and Youtube, neither have any evidence to back up the events that are alleged to have taken place.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

The liberal?

The Iona Institute basically

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

I'm not believing any of it I just wanted to show how it's being reported differently now

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JanuaryJones

I've no idea why this hasn't been reported until now. I was in Henry St on St Stephens day, coming out of Arnotts at about 6.30, heading down to Liffey Street. Huge gang of lads, running and shouting and being generally intimidating , had to move myself right into the shop fronts so as not to get pushed over, they were running towards Mary St end, got myself back into Arnotts, which closed at 7pm . Came back out 10 or mins later and started to walk back down toward Liffey st to get home. Gang came running back up at speed, followed by a patrol car just as I was rounding the corner in Liffey Street.

I didn't see anyone injured, however it was really scary and very intimidating. I honestly have no idea why it wasn't heard off before today. No one would believe me when I got home. It may have something to do with the gang being predominantly black, and not wanting to incite racial hatred most likely, I really don't know. Was surprised when I read about it today after so long and a little relieved as I was beginning to think I imagined the whole thing.

And yes, I created an account to post this, am a long time reader of boards , not a poster but the disbelieve here was annoying me.

I would love to know why it was kept so quiet and no video footage is available etc, it's very odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,058 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Strange how there's not a stitch of footage on YouTube too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,720 ✭✭✭SteM

Ronan H wrote: »
    Strange how there's not a stitch of footage on YouTube too.

Sure you're living in the past apparently, according to a poster above all the kidz are using vine these days!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,475 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

According to LovinDublin.com; the youths involved in this mass brawl were from Blanchardstown & Tallaght.

https://lovindublin.com/dublin/over-200-youths-clashed-on-henry-street-in-a-massive-brawl

It's a very strange thing as to why this story was not reported on until 10 days after St Stephens Day.

If we had a lot more details on this story; a more clearer picture to give it a purpose would have made more sense.

It is a very confusing story as to what was reported to us so far. I hope more details to it will come to light very soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,712 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

According to LovinDublin.com; the youths involved in this mass brawl were from Blanchardstown & Tallaght.

They're just picking up the Indo story, I'd happily bet the farm on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Odd there is no cctv or footage from camera phones, no damage to premises etc. I've a friend who was working in Mary st on the 27th, no one in work mentioned it. You'd think a mass brawl would be a talking point.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭h2005

No way this happens without footage. Would have thought there'd have been a thread on here that day if what is described actually took place!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

And yes, I created an account to post this, am a long time reader of boards , not a poster but the disbelieve here was annoying me.
    I actually take your post at face value because there's no hysteria in it.

A large gang of lads ran by, screaming and shouting, and ten minutes later ran back again being herded by a Garda car.

Sounds very plausible.
    I would love to know why it was kept so quiet and no video footage is available etc, it's very odd.
    Because it sounds like a very unremarkable incident. A large group of young fellas wandering around acting the tit is very common.

On a busy street a gang of 20 or 30 youths can easily make it look like there are "hundreds" involved. People are insanely bad at estimating crowd sizes, especially when they're standing in the crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

seamus wrote: »
    Because it sounds like a very unremarkable incident. A large group of young fellas wandering around acting the tit is very common.

I'd say something happened but it is massively overblow and happens on smaller scale quite often (as the article says). It wouldn't take much to intimidate Irish people (or at least not me).

"These gangs arrive mainly at weekends and fight among themselves. They don’t appear to be using drink or drugs but they make a mess."

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I don't think this would be kept under wraps for ten days if it was actually a riot. The "Love Ulster" parade riot in 2006 was reported instantly and was all over social media as well. There would have been tweets, vines, facebook posts, youtube vids etc that would have been picked up by the websites that make 90% of their articles out of tweets. A serious incident like that usually prompts a Garda press release, which would have led to the same vague article pasted on a dozen news sites at the same time and it wasn't.

At 7pm on Stephen's Day, the shops would almost all be closed and shoppers gone home. 250 rioters would lead to more than "as many as five assaults". And do Store St Gardai even cover Mary St? It's right beside the Bridewell Station.

More likely a group of skangers had a fight among themselves and the guards broke it up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 250 ✭✭Clarebelly

Twas no orgy of violence.

Now this is how it is done.
    Young folk have a lot to learn from our traveller brethren..........
    All hell broke loose in a County Galway town for a time on St Stephen’s Day when a group of Travellers became embroiled in a drink-fuelled street brawl.

Gardaí had to call in reinforcements in Loughrea on Monday evening after a row between Travellers escalated into a full-blown fight on Main Street.
    Onlookers say that more than a dozen men used fists, iron bars and hurls to beat each other.

Some businesses and publicans went into ‘lockdown’ and shut their premises for a period until the fracas was brought under control.

As well as the main ‘flashpoint’ on Main Street, there were some other public order incidents at an estate in the town, and elsewhere at premises on the outskirts, which were connected to the main incident.

Travellers from Offaly and Midlands, who travelled to Loughrea for the festivities, clashed with local Travellers.

A Garda spokesperson confirmed to the Connacht Tribune that there was a “large scale public order incident” in the town on Monday, December 26, which included men armed with iron bars, hurls and other weapons. At least one arrest was made.

Former Mayor of County Galway, Michael Mogie Maher, was in town at 7am on December 27 and spent hours clearing up the mess that was made on St Stephen’s Day, one of the busiest of the year for revelry.

There was a lot of blood on the pavement of Main Street – it was like they killed a pig, there was blood everywhere,” said the Fine Gael representative.

http://connachttribune.ie/gardai-out-in-force-to-quell-traveller-brawl-931/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

So a bunch of lads ran down the street shouting and then ran back again? No wonder no-one is reporting it, because basically nothing happened. Jesus, people really need to start questioning why the media is reporting non-stories like this.

Store street cover down as far as capel st. I remember being young and seeing all the dealers running down and standing outside lenehans on Capel st as it was the Bridewell district and not Store st and they Guards wouldnt cross over

Edited to add, I meant fruit sellers, wrapping paper sellers, cheeky charlie sellers not dealers as in Drug dealers my apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

Store street cover down as far as capel st. I remember being young and seeing all the dealers running down and standing outside lenehans on Capel st as it was the Bridewell district and not Store st and they Guards wouldnt cross over

Ah fair enough. Store St probably were called out to move a group of lads on then. The wording is vague enough that the "source" might not even be the Gardaí though.

Also, I think it's a bit disingenuous to use the word "attack" in the headline, especially with all the connotations that word has at the moment. "Attack" implies a premeditated assault on someone or, worse, something terrorist-related. If it was anything, it was a group arranging to fight each other - sure, they are attacking each other, but that isn't the image brought to the reader's mind on seeing the contextless headline.

And "manageress"? Really?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭blue4ever

The article in the Tribune about the brawl in Galway - has a very interesting line

"Garda spokesperson confirmed to the Connacht Tribune"

That sentiment/reporting/accuracy is lacking in the Indo article.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Muhammed_1

The incident appears to be real.

It wasn't very serious in some ways but serious in others.

A large group of mostly young black men runs down the road as a gang. Not very different to a flash mob, or a flash dance.

The problem is the lack of respect shown towards the people and the shops in the city centre. Young people always pushed the boundaries and tested them. The problem in Ireland is that no boundaries wil be enforced, and the gangs wil eventually cop on to that.

I feel the Guards will be unable to stop this behaviour and therefore it will get worse. The Guards are pretty incapable in this country.

Its astonishing that someone mentioned above that the Guards won't cross the road to apprehend criminals. That the criminals cross the road knowing that the Guards won't, because the other side of the road is in another police district.

The Guards really are dispicable in this country. Keep in mind that they won't cross the road to catch drug dealers but they'll happily throw old ladies in jail.

We're lucky not to have had gangs in the past in thsi country, besides the criminal gangs, and the travellers, and the IRA and others. Now we'll have black crime too.

Will some politician represent an alternative vision for Ireland which doesn't involve the destruction of our culture and country?

I detest liberals and liberalism, as they have caused these problems, with their naive and childish views.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Muhammed_1, what has led you to the conclusion that this incident as reported, was real and that it signifies the breakdown of society and the introduction of gangs?

From what I have read, including the "eyewitness" account above, some teenagers ran down the street and back up again. Citing this as an indicator that we are going to be overrun by a new gang warfare (other than the ones already happening) in the city is extremely alarmist.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Muhammed_1 wrote: »
    Young people always pushed the boundaries and tested them. The problem in Ireland is that no boundaries wil be enforced, and the gangs wil eventually cop on to that.

What exactly informs this opinion? Policing policy hasn't changed, so if this 'copping on' by 'gangs' was to happen, it would have already happened, and we'd already be in this post-apocalyptic scenario you paint.
    Now we'll have black crime too.
    :rolleyes:

The incident appears to be real.

It wasn't very serious in some ways but serious in others.

A large group of mostly young black men runs down the road as a gang. Not very different to a flash mob, or a flash dance.

The problem is the lack of respect shown towards the people and the shops in the city centre. Young people always pushed the boundaries and tested them. The problem in Ireland is that no boundaries wil be enforced, and the gangs wil eventually cop on to that.

I feel the Guards will be unable to stop this behaviour and therefore it will get worse. The Guards are pretty incapable in this country.

Its astonishing that someone mentioned above that the Guards won't cross the road to apprehend criminals. That the criminals cross the road knowing that the Guards won't, because the other side of the road is in another police district.

The Guards really are dispicable in this country. Keep in mind that they won't cross the road to catch drug dealers but they'll happily throw old ladies in jail.

We're lucky not to have had gangs in the past in thsi country, besides the criminal gangs, and the travellers, and the IRA and others. Now we'll have black crime too.

Will some politician represent an alternative vision for Ireland which doesn't involve the destruction of our culture and country?

I detest liberals and liberalism, as they have caused these problems, with their naive and childish views.

The people I was referring to are dealers selling fruit without a licence, they just wanted to push them out of the area where they could sell,and they choose not to follow them they arent high class hardened criminal in that case Im sure they would cross the boundry

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭ahlookit

Pythonesque.

Apart from the drugs gangs, organised crime gangs, the IRA, the CIRA, the RIRA, the INLA, what gangs have we had? None!

This was when I was a kid. about 15 years ago. My grandmother sold papers in Mary st and I would help her sometimes and we would see them. They would cross the road and the guards would walk down as far as the end of Mary st the dealers would be outside Lenehans and then they would walk back up. The dealers would follow them a few minutes later, It was like a game of cat and mouse.

** By dealers, I meant fruit (etc) sellers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

This was when I was a kid. about 15 years ago. My grandmother sold papers in Mary st and I would help her sometimes and we would see them. They would cross the road and they guards would walk down as far as the end of Mary st the dealers would be outside Lenehans and then they would walk back up. The dealers would follow them a few minutes later, It was like a game of cat and mouse.

Ah well that's a totally different story. I think people thought you were talking about drug dealers. I think we're all agreed the fruit and flower sellers are not causing havoc in the city. :):)

Ha I see in my first post I just called them dealers, apologies, thats what my Grandmother called them...long before drug dealers were running around

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 267 ✭✭Muhammed_1

ahlookit wrote: »
    Pythonesque.

Apart from the drugs gangs, organised crime gangs, the IRA, the CIRA, the RIRA, the INLA, what gangs have we had? None!

I intended that as a joke.

More correctly I suppose I intended it as satire of the Guards.

I could have included rampaging Christian Priests too.

Advertisement