Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors appointment

Options
  • 05-01-2017 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Just wondering about the legality of asking someone to delay an investigative medical procedure due to work being short staffed?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Just wondering about the legality of asking someone to delay an investigative medical procedure due to work being short staffed?

Are you too unwell to work? Usually scheduled appointments do not count as absence due to illness so leave is at the discretion of the employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Bellaboring

davo10 wrote: »
    Are you too unwell to work? Usually scheduled appointments do not count as absence due to illness so leave is at the discretion of the employer.

Not unwell. Symptoms that in worried are cancer due to family history.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭ForstalDave

Why is it short staffed, People on holiday or not enough employees? it would look very bad for a compnany to delay a medical exam if it turns out to be cancer

Why is it short staffed, People on holiday or not enough employees? it would look very bad for a compnany to delay a medical exam if it turns out to be cancer

Holidays I think... I'm not really sure. I really don't want to delay but I'm just wondering is it legal before I argue my case with them?

• Advertisement

Holidays I think... I'm not really sure. I really don't want to delay but I'm just wondering is it legal before I argue my case with them?

Yes it is legal, you are requesting leave to attend a scheduled appointment. A Doctor will not certify you unfit to work on the day you attend a scheduled appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

So it's voluntary?

Nothing illegal so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Regardless of legal etc. Go get the tests or whatever done...
    Some things are more important than work.

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Regardless of legal etc. Go get the tests or whatever done...
    Some things are more important than work.

But presumably most people would like to have the tests done and keep their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

But presumably most people would like to have the tests done and keep their job.

Ask your doctor for a note stating you're too unwell for work.

• Advertisement

toadfly wrote: »
    Ask your doctor for a note stating you're too unwell for work.

You're advocating fraud.

A sicknote to cover for a optional and voluntary test?

CruelCoin wrote: »
    You're advocating fraud.

He can ask for it, but he won't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes it is legal, you are requesting leave to attend a scheduled appointment. A Doctor will not certify you unfit to work on the day you attend a scheduled appointment.

Correct.

OP it there any option to negotiate, eg you dont attend as scheduled but work pay for the cost of having the test done privately on a different day? ( As opposed to months later which the public system is likely to offer.)

Mad that we've seen rwo threads in one day pointing out how harsh the lack of any sick leave legislation is in thos country.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

CruelCoin wrote: »
    You're advocating fraud.

An optional and voluntary test for cancer. Then yes if thats what he needs to do.

Most docs will give a note for this type of thing.

An optional and voluntary test for cancer. Then yes if thats what he needs to do.

No they won't, a sick cert means you have an illness which prevents you from attending work. A scheduled appointment by its definition means that you are planning to attend an appointment, and planning, in advance not to be at work.

But he doesn't need to do it....It can be done at another time, like say, when the employer isn't short staffed.

OP, if your work have asked you to work because they're under pressure, bringing any kind of language along the lines of "legal" is likely to end any chances you have of moving up in that company.
    Massive red flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Some people here saying the appointment is planned and voluntary that I don't understand.
    The OP has Symptoms that need further investigation, as recommended by their doctor I presume.

I think the important information the OP needs to check is:-
    If the OP cancels this appointment, when is the next available appointment that they will get?

I know my wife cancel an appointment for investigation for back pain (Arthritis) and got the next appointment 6 months later.
    If that was the case here I would say it is unacceptable to cancel this appointment.
    If the next appointment in in the next few weeks, then maybe the delay is okay.

Just look at the news today - David Bowie found out 3 months before his death of his cancer, a while all cancers are different it is not something I would want to delaying getting checked.

ForestFire wrote: »
    Some people here saying the appointment is planned and voluntary that I don't understand.
    The OP has Symptoms that need further investigation, as recommended by their doctor I presume.

I think the important information the OP needs to check is:-
    If the OP cancels this appointment, when is the next available appointment that they will get?

I know my wife cancel an appointment for investigation for back pain (Arthritis) and got the next appointment 6 months later.
    If that was the case here I would say it is unacceptable to cancel this appointment.
    If the next appointment in in the next few weeks, then maybe the delay is okay.

Just look at the news today - David Bowie found out 3 months before his death of his cancer, a while all cancers are different it is not something I would want to delaying getting checked.

I don't think anyone is arguing that the op shouldn't get the tests done or that they should be delayed. The op asked if it was legal for his employer to refuse time off to have a scheduled appointment with a Doctor even though he is not ill, yes it is as the op is not sick. Symptoms for all illnesses can vary, the op is having the tests because there is a family history, not because he is sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭ForestFire

I don't think anyone is arguing that the op shouldn't get the tests done or that they should be delayed. The op asked if it was legal for his employer to refuse time off to have a scheduled appointment with a Doctor even though he is not ill, yes it is as the op is not sick. Symptoms for all illnesses can vary, the op is having the tests because there is a family history, not because he is sick.

Just to clarify, the op is getting the tests done because they have symptoms and there is a family history.

So what is the definition of not delaying the tests? 1 week, 1 month, 3 months?

That's why I'd advise the op to check if they cancel when is the next appointment, and then decide what is best for themselves and bring this info back to employer as their only option for a serious investigation.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

OP as far as I'm aware for non emergency procedures you could be asked to schedule with company... if you have symptoms don't put it off if you can at all.

I know you may not want, nor do you need to, divulge information on the nature or reason of tests but I think if you share some of the information with your boss it would be a cold hard person to ask you to reschedule investigations or tests related to cancer.

In my case I shared some details with my boss he was trying to comfort me all was ok...but was also understanding of appointments at short notice.
    In the case of potential cancer diagnosis time is important. I had cancer diagnosis/ biopsy result on Wednesday and surgery following Tuesday. I'm not trying to scare you just it's not an appointment for verucca or sore toe.

Hope it's nothing serious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭FrStone

He can ask for it, but he won't get it.

Then he needs to get a new gp. No point having an uncooperative gp...

Go to the appointment your health is more important than work will ever be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I work in a hospital, a depressing number of people cancel appointments because they cannot take time off work. For public appointments you can be waiting months for another slot. Employers should be aware of this.

I would advise attending the appointment. If it's a public appointment and you decide not to go, you MUST ring up in advance and cancel it. Keep trying until you get through. If you don't make contact and don't attend, you will be discharged.

Thanks guys. Told the head guy in work what was going on and he was really understanding when I explained how worried I was. So personally I'm able to go.

Raging that it is legal to prevent people from attending appointments though. And that I'm dependant on the good grace of my employer. For gods sake most of the population work during clinic/surgical hours, it's not exactly reasonable to expect we can schedule them outside Monday - Friday 9-5. And as someone suggested I could have called in sick (missing a full day not a half) which benefits no one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,637 ✭✭✭brightspark

Personnally I'd try to reschedule the appointment for either earlier or later that day if possible, failing that I'd take the time off anyway after advising my employer of how serious the appointment was (without going into details of course, just tell him if it wasn't serious you wouldn't take the time off), I'd also offer to make up the time.

Can you ask a colleague to cover for you?

Ultimately it's your life and a job is just a job.

have you enquired from NERA? They might know what law if any covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Raging that it is legal to prevent people from attending appointments though. And that I'm dependant on the good grace of my employer. For gods sake most of the population work during clinic/surgical hours, it's not exactly reasonable to expect we can schedule them outside Monday - Friday 9-5. And as someone suggested I could have called in sick (missing a full day not a half) which benefits no one.

Would you consider dropping your TD a note about this?

It won't get the situation changed for you, but it's pressure from electors that starts to get issues on the table for law changes.

All the best with your tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

They certainly give it for less. In any case, the mental stress about the possibility of having cancer, and going undiagnosed with be mentally draining...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Slightly different question on the same point.
    I have a medical condition which means I need to see a doctor every few months for review even when I'm perfectly well. Mostly this would only be an hour or so but would that time be taken out of my Holiday Leave or how would it be dealt with?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 renmorenewbie

Annual leave...in much the same way as a dental appointment .... I too have follow up clinic appointments and work up the time or take it from annual leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

Gael23 wrote: »
    I have a medical condition which means I need to see a doctor every few months for review even when I'm perfectly well. Mostly this would only be an hour or so but would that time be taken out of my Holiday Leave or how would it be dealt with?

How can you expect a definitive answer on boards.ie?

It will depend on a number of factors:
    What type of job you do, your relationship with your employer, the length of service you have etc.

Go speak to them and find out - either you can make some arrangement or you will need to take days off..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Gael23 wrote: »

It depends on your company. Some may let you take it as a medical appointment others may ask you to take it as annual leave.

Advertisement