Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Doctors appointment

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Gael23 wrote: »
    Slightly different question on the same point.
    I have a medical condition which means I need to see a doctor every few months for review even when I'm perfectly well. Mostly this would only be an hour or so but would that time be taken out of my Holiday Leave or how would it be dealt with?

Same here but I work up an extra hour or two in the same week by working late or coming in early and that covers it.

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭bob50

Can i ask you guys

I have a medical problem and need to go into hospital next month to have a week of tests and iv antibiotics given to me and what i would like to know, can i go sick for this week or must i take it from annual holidays

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,113 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

bob50 wrote: »
    Can i ask you guys

I have a medical problem and need to go into hospital next month to have a week of tests and iv antibiotics given to me and what i would like to know, can i go sick for this week or must i take it from annual holidays

Thanks in advance
    I would say that you need to get a medical certificate from your consultant in that case. The only reason you might want to take it as holidays is if your employer doesn't pay you when your off sick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Also, strictly speaking you're not allowed to take holidays while out sick. But...

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Also, strictly speaking you're not allowed to take holidays while out sick. But...

You're not allowed to be forced to use annual leave.

Some companies have policies saying you're not allowed to use leave to cover sickness - but some don't. In the latter case, its not so clear cut.

Also, the op is not actually too sick to work at the moment. So some HR professionals would decline them sick leave too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

sundodger5 wrote: »
    Regardless of legal etc. Go get the tests or whatever done...
    Some things are more important than work.

this thing that he said

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

You're not allowed to be forced to use annual leave.

Some companies have policies saying you're not allowed to use leave to cover sickness - but some don't. In the latter case, its not so clear cut.

Also, the op is not actually too sick to work at the moment. So some HR professionals would decline them sick leave too.

You cannot be on holiday while sick. It's nothing to do with company policy. Holidays are there for employees to recuperate, which they cannot do if sick.

Some companies will not strictly enforce it though.

Advertisement