Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call to Prayer - Dublin 8

Options
  • 05-01-2017 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I've been hearing the call to prayer every day at 12:30 near the phoenix park. I can't figure out where it's coming from, does anyone know?

Don't really have a problem with it, just curious.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

South Circular Road Mosque maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭SB_Part2

The SCR Mosque is a bit away from the Phoneix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I live on the South Circular Road and I never hear a call to prayer so doubt you would hear it in the Phoenix Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,997 ✭✭✭conorhal

Yeah, I've heard it, but since the only time I'm home at 12:30 is a Saturday or Sunday, and I'm usually dying of a hangover I haven't bothered to find out where the wailing is coming from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

This is nuts!

I thought I was going mad the day after Stephens' Day last week and heard the Call To Prayer, it was quite clear where we were standing the African Plains looking at the Giraffes.

The Giraffes looked quite interested too, they must be Muslims :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

This is nuts!

I thought I was going mad the day after Stephens' Day last week and heard the Call To Prayer, it was quite clear where we were standing the African Plains looking at the Giraffes.

The Giraffes looked quite interested too, they must be Muslims :D

You must have had a tankful on you if you saw giraffes :D:D:D.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Sight808 wrote: »
    I've been hearing the call to prayer every day at 12:30 near the phoenix park. I can't figure out where it's coming from, does anyone know?

Don't really have a problem with it, just curious.

What side of the Phoenix Park?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I believe its coming from the RKH in Kilmainham.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

What country are you living in. ????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

It's coming from an exhibit in IMMA

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

You must have had a tankful on you if you saw giraffes :D:D:D.

In the zoo? There are plenty giraffes in the zoo. :confused:

Anyway, the African plains are in the most northern area of the zoo, quite close to the Nephin Road/Blackhorse Ave junction, I suppose given the right conditions the sound might travel across from Kilmainham/IMMA, but through the sounds of the city, it must be fairly loud over beside the Museum.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭malarkus

My balcony faces IMMA and I've heard it clearly from that direction every day over Christmas period at exactly 12.25. The mosque on SCR is too far I think, so an exhibit is likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 mairtinc

I'm in Clancy Quay and can hear it loud and clear. Last time today around 12:30.
    Wondering if it's coming from IMMA or a mosque? Not too bothered with it but has to be really annoying if you live nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

OldBean wrote: »
    It's coming from an exhibit in IMMA

Do you know that for sure? I can't see anything on the IMMA site that specifically mentions it. It's definitely coming from there or very close to it anyway. Same time everyday for about a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭malarkus

Do you know that for sure? I can't see anything on the IMMA site that specifically mentions it. It's definitely coming from there or very close to it anyway. Same time everyday for about a month.

Can't see anything on website but we've tweeted them to ask out of curiosity. Definitely sounds like it's coming from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭OldBean

100% sure :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 aniogain

IMMA response:
    "would be amazed if it has that range though, you often can't hear it outside of the courtyard. Maybe on a very still day?"

I guess it is coming from RHK! Five of us in three different apartments on Parkgate Street hear it all the time. I was sure it was one of the other apartments here because it's very loud. Some range! Must pop over and see what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,894 ✭✭✭yosser hughes

It is coming from IMMA at the RHK. It's part of this exhibition: http://www.imma.ie/en/page_237086.htm

Advertisement