Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PB or not PB...that is the question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭Cartman78

11/05/2018

7.35K – Road – 32:21 – NB

Had planned some intervals at lunchtime but work was super busy so had to skip that and sub in with a late evening trot instead.

13/05/2018

MUNGRET 10K 2018

10K – Road – 39:30 – AD

Another duel in the sun (and wind!) and another reasonably comfortable sub-40 effort.

Arrived in plenty of time so did a decent warm up and stretching.

I had done this race about 3 years ago so knew what was in store – mainly 2 very long and tough hills from 6K through to 8K.

There was a pacing group for 40 mins so my cunning plan was to stay slightly ahead of them – headed off at a nice pace and had open road ahead of me….I could hear the pace group behind me the whole time which was grand.

Was feeling grand at halfway – was about 10 yards ahead of the pace group and passed a couple of guys who went out too fast.

1)     3:42
    2)     3:54
    3)     4:06
    4)     3:57
    5)     3:53

I knew the drags/hills after the Crescent Shopping Centre/near the Hospital were going to be tough and surely enough they were a total b1tch…..the remnants of the pace group pulled level with me at the top of the first climb so it was a bit of a slog to keep contact with them after that as I mooched up the second hill.

6)     3:54
    7)     4:04
    8)     4:04
    9)     3:54
    10)  3:59

Finally got to the ‘summit’ and got my breath back for the last couple of km….fair play to the paced from Dooneen….he hung around for me and another lad and kept us going…another drag in the last kilometre into the wind was tough going as well but just about had enough in the tank to keep the pace going.

Finished in the Top 10 and reasonably happy with my time – I think it’s about the maximum I can do based on my current training budget. Feeling tired today so will take a break and see how I’m fixed for tomorrow.

Won’t be racing for another month or so…..

Busy week last week…..trying to juggle work and family and running so something had to give….felt a bit jaded/tired as well to be honest so a few days off probably won’t do any harm.

15/05/2018

8K – Road – 36:19 – AF

19/05/2018

10K – Road – 42:49 – NB

21/05/2018

8K – Road – 34:10 – AF

The run last Tuesday was a quasi-recovery run after the 10K race….was knackered then for a day or two and didn’t do a whole lot of anything really apart from a few core bits and bobs.

Was much happier with the run on Saturday evening – probably not too far off a PB for my punishing local route. And again today at lunchtime, felt fresh and strong so happy with that.

I’m conscious however that I’m in danger of falling back into my habit of every session being a) relatively short and b) relatively flat out….will try to mix it up if I can with some longer/slower runs and some more structured intervals etc.

I’m satisfied with the level I’m at right now generally but I feel like I’m deffo performing at my max potential (~39:30 mins for 10K) taking my training into account….hopefully I can move the dial in the right way in the coming weeks

22/05/2018

12.3K – Road – 58:08 – NB

24/05/2018

9K – Road – 40:01 – NB

25/05/2018

intervals – 15 x 400m – Road  – AT

Not a bad week this week – not sure if 12.3K counts as a long run but at least it was longer and slower than most of the stuff I’ve been doing lately.

The intervals today went very well but was knackered and very hot after about 10 of them so just jogged back to the office instead of turning myself into a complete sweaty mess.

27/05/2018

7.15K – Road – 31:37 – AF

29/05/2018

10K – Road – 45:50 – NB

02/06/2018

5.3K – Trail – 30:29 – NB

03/06/2018

4.1K – Trail – 22:00 – NB

05/06/2018

5K – Trail – 27:21 – NB

Oh dear….my mojo is gone AWOL again.

The 2 runs from a couple of weeks ago were a bit of a struggle from what I can remember….have been feeling leggy for a while…both Achilles really stiffened up, they’re generally ok while actually running but the first few steps getting out of bed in the morning aren’t pleasant.

On holidays then last week in a forest type resort in Wales – managed a few jogs/runs in absolutely glorious surroundings which was great but I ran out of steam totally as the week went on.

A combination of hay-fever type symptoms, carrying a 15kg loony 2 year old around a LOT and just generally relaxing/switching off meant that running fell off the radar.

Have no real appetite for it right now either tbh….feel completely pooped so not sure if I’ll bother going to the Bilboa 10K on Friday night. Hopefully I’ll get a resurgence of energy and interest in the next day or so and I’ll be able to give it a lash on Friday – have done that race probably 10 times on the last 12 years so would like to make it if possible.

12/06/2018

6K – Road – 26:28 – AF

Really had to drag myself out the door last night – was very close to just vegging on the couch…..still feeling meh generally; enjoyed the holiday last week but I can’t say I feel re-energised and relaxed after it :)

Anyway, no real target to this outing…just wanted to get the legs turning over and see if the race on Friday evening is in any way plausible. I’ll probably go anyway just as a social outing tbh….and they do have nice t-shirts this year according to their Facebook updates :P

• Advertisement

13/06/2018

8K – Road – 35:20 – NB

A solid lunchtime effort –nothing spectacular but felt a smidgin sharper than I have recently.

Still struggling a bit with hayfever and being half-crippled by my 3 year old on holidays, but will give the Bilboa 10K a lash tonight.

It’ll be more of a social outing tbh, will be happy with  sub 41 mins

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Best of luck with it.

BILBOA 10K 2018

10.05K - Road - 41:07 - AD

As predicted, a bit of a struggle but happy enough with it overall.

Ran fairly well for the first half all things considered...hit the 5K mark at 19:54 and knew at that stage that any outside chance of a sub 40 was long gone.

Completely went to pieces after that tbh....the long drag of a hill at 6k sapped me altogether and from then on my main goal was not to walk and/or DNF.

Slogged it out for the next couple of kms before finally hitting the turn from home and the long downhill finish.

Hit 10K on the Garmin at 40:57 which is roughly where I thought I'd run taking the last few weeks into account.

Not sure what the next steps are...should probably go for physio to get Achilles loosened but not too bothered tbh. There's a bunch of races coming up but it doesn't look like I'm going to do myself justice in my current state.

Anyway enough moaning, just need to get the head down and put some decent training in.

Very poor turnout in Bilboa last night btw...worst I've seen in all my time doing it. My shoddy time even snuck into the top 20 which was surprising.

Splits from Bilboa 10K (was too lazy to type them out on my phone the other day: 

1)     3:43
    2)     4:01
    3)     3:57
    4)     4:00
    5)     4:00
    6)     4:07
    7)     4:22
    8)     4:32
    9)     4:26
    10   3:46
    Not too bad in hindsight actually - glad I didn't DNF. My PB would have got 5th place on the night

17/06/2018

14.25K – Road – 68:41 – NB

A Father’s Day Slow Short-Long Run – tried to keep the pace at 4:45ish and bar a couple of outliers wasn’t too far off it.

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]This was on my extra hilly route as well so a good workout; still feeling a bit leggy but not as bad as in recent weeks[/font]

• Advertisement

18/06/2018

8K – Road – 36:00 – AF

Will be tied up tonight and most of tomorrow, so lunchtime today was shaping up to be my only running window for a couple of days.

Conditions were a bit sticky, but it mercifully started to rain about half way round.

Was aiming for 4:30 pace and hit it bang on the banana – not a spectacular run by any means but always nice to nail the pacing.

20/06/2018

10K – Road – 44:54 – NB

Another solid tempo-ish run…..slowly getting back into the groove I think.

Had to put on a bit of a shift for the last mile or so to dip under 45 mins but kept up a steady pace overall

22/06/2018

Intervals – 8 x 800m - Road – AT

Had a rough morning with a chaotic toddler so was in dire need of some headspace and athletic mental therapy by the time lunchtime rolled around.

The weather is decent here in Nenagh but not too hot and a light breeze to keep things cool.

Went for the classic 8 x 800 at 10K pace – enjoyed it and feel a helluva lot better than I did before lunch.

1)     3:13
    2)     3:10
    3)     3:13
    4)     3:12
    5)     3:06
    6)     3:07
    7)     3:15
    8)     3:08

24/06/2018

14.25K – Road – 66:52 – NB

We wisely decided not to embark on a mission to the beach so once I had the paddling pool inflated (a fairly challenging upper body/core workout) I was able to sneak out for a run before it got too hot….slapped on some suncream and had the water bottle in hand and actually found this to be relatively easy.

I know my “long” run is still less than 10 miles but feel like I’m making marginal progress again after a few weeks of stagnation.

Lunchtime running is unlikely to be an option this week as I don’t want to flood my keyboard J Will wait and see how the week goes….have a 5 mile race scheduled for Friday evening. Not quite in PB shape for it but won’t be a million miles off it hopefully

26/06/2018

8K – Road – 37:01 – AF

Was wary about running in the midst of a heatwave but it was actually grand once I got out – not too humid/sticky and a gentle breeze.

Tried to keep it at a steady and comfortable 4:30 pace – will put the discrepancy down to the heat :D

So no running since Tuesday – I’m a bit wary about the 5 Mile Race tonight…..although I’m definitely not overtrained for once.

The heat is obviously going to be a major issue – will be happy to match last year’s time of 31:42 but not going to kill myself doing it either way

29/06/2018

BRUFF 5 MILER

8K – Road – 32:45 – AT

Not my finest hour by any means but have never ran in that kind of heat at that pace before so happy enough overall I guess.

Did a gentle enough warm up and felt ok – although the pavlova and ice cream I’d consumed at the office bake sale was slowly coming back to haunt me :-)

Anyway, splits below – obviously went out too fast and blew up a bit at halfway but I don’t think it would have made a lot of difference either way to be honest taking the heat and my recent training into account.

1)     3:43
    2)     3:58
    3)     4:00
    4)     3:59
    5)     4:16
    6)     4:08
    7)     4:13
    8)     4:13

Went for a free rub down afterwards just to loosen out the calves a bit…..was told by the therapist that I had….(drum roll)….a very tight left ITB, extreme tension in my right glute, right hamstring in ‘a mess’, and finally…minor tears in both Achilles.

Didn’t know whether to laugh or cry tbh…..I’m deffo overdue a trip to my physio and might be a wee bit tight here and there but genuinely don’t feel as banjaxed as that opinion would suggest.

Will make an appointment this week and see what the story is….am a bit snowed under with work and kids for the next few days so running not an option right now anyway.

Had planned to do Dundrum 10K on Wednesday – will give it a miss now…the course is indeed flat and fast but will also be hot and sticky and I don’t think it’s worth my while to travel that far to run what would be a crappy time

List of Excuses for recent running break:
    1)     The heat!
    2)     My left Achilles
    3)     My right Achilles
    4)     The World Cup
    5)     General meh
    6)     A surprise cold/sore throat courtesy of my 3 year old, he’s so generous with his bugs
    7)     The heat!

Went for physio late last week – as expected, there was no tears in my Achilles (my physio was fuming at the prognosis I was given).

As usual my calves were super tight which was causing most of my issues, also had some tightness in my hip/ITB which was also a pleasure to have loosened out.

Wasn’t really in the humour for running over the last week or so tbh – actually done a fair bit of cycling with the young fella on the back and have been doing core and light weights most evenings.

11/07/2018

8K – Road – 35:35 – NB

A bit cooler today (only in the low 20’s) so popped out at lunchtime to blow off the cobwebs.

Still have some stiffness in the calves/Achilles but overall not too bad.

In a bit of a limbo really atm regarding races and targets – had been contemplating a late summer crack at a half marathon but don’t think I’m going to be in shape for it properly now. Will plug away for a bit anyway and see how it goes

14/07/2018

10K – Road – 45:57 – NB

Slept for about 10 hours on Friday night so was feeling reasonably refreshed on Saturday. Went cycling with the young fella in the morning as well  - only did about 12K or so but a 15kg babbling weight on the back surely counts for something :-)

The run itself was grand, although I fear I’m slipping back into Aimless Plodding Mode again. No real appetite for racing at the moment – not in optimal shape at all and don’t like doing races just for the sake of it.

My calves/Achilles still feel very heavy – hopefully all the foam rolling and stretching will kick in soon

16/07/2018

8K – Road – 35:32 – NB

Not a bad lunchtime workout with the ‘bonus’ of a rain shower for the last 2k. Got bored running at 4:30 pace again so put in a wee bit of zip for the 2nd half

18/07/2018

8K – Road – 34:39 – AF

The cooler temperatures are definitely better for the lunchtime outings – felt pretty good for this one and could have kept going at that pace if I’d had more time I reckon.

Doing a good bit of core and stretching lately so hopefully that’s starting to pay off a bit

• Advertisement

20/07/2018

10K – Road – 44:49 – NB

Headed out the door with no real plan in mind – was going to do my normal 8K lunch loop but changed plan about 500m in and went another way completely.

Turns out Nenagh is blessed with an almost infinite amount of flat ring roads which are accompanied by wide and smooth footpaths. After doddering for much of the first km (4:53) I settled into a nice pace and then formulated a sub 45 min goal as I progressed.

It turned out to be a lot hotter and stickier than I had initially thought so had to work reasonably hard to claw back a bit of time near the end…all in all a good workout. Will try to follow it up with a longer and slower run over the weekend

22/07/2018

14.25K - Road - 67:26 - NB

Didn't make it out til late evening - would rather have been doing this at 8.30am tbh. 

Got on ok in the end though and capped off my most solid running week in a while.

Still not happy that my 'long' run is less than 10 miles but it's all relative I guess :-)

24/07/2018

Intervals - 8 x 800m - Road - AT

Another solid and unspectacular outing on my latest comeback - was feeling very sluggish on the warm up and first interval but settled into a nice rhythm after that.

1)   3:31
    2)   3:18
    3)   3:20
    4)   3:17
    5)   3:16
    6)   3:18
    7)   3:18
    8)   3:13

I might have a race on Saturday evening - a rare calendar quirk has meant that a trip home to Mayo has coincided with a local 10K. Will see how things go anyway and will give it a lash if I can make it

26/07/2018

8K – Road  – 37:00 - AD

Move along, nothing to see here :-)

A pretty bog standard, mid-range, mid-paced, mid-day run….the unusual weather (windy AND humid) making it seem harder than it was.

Re: my potential race on Saturday – I probably won’t know for sure if I’m doing this until an hour or two beforehand so will have to wait and see how the day goes.

28/07/2018
    BALLA 10K
    10K – Road  – 41:57 – AT
    Another non-performance I’m afraid.

The plan was to go out conservatively (~4 min km pace) and then push on in the last few kms if things were going ok.

The reality was that I couldn’t get going at all at all – felt tired at the start and only got more tired as the race went on. Was waiting for a second wind to arrive but there was nothing in the tank.

1)   4:10
    2)   4:00
    3)   4:03
    4)   4:07
    5)   4:05
    6)   4:16
    7)   4:27
    8)   4:22
    9)   4:11
    10)4:05

The course was pretty tough – lots of long drags into a headwind which didn’t help, but it was just disappointing not to be able to get going properly.

I’m hoping that my mojo (and second wind, and finishing kick) return at some point….I know my training has been patchy at best but can’t recall ever feeling so fatigued and jaded during a 10K before. Not too bothered about the time really but it was a real grind from about 3K onwards….the only positive from the evening was that I didn’t stop and start walking at any point.

30/07/2018
    8K – Road  – 37:04 – NB
    A gentle trot at lunchtime to get some fresh air and clear the head. Legs still feeling heavy and sore….debating whether I should take some time off running altogether or just keep plugging away

01/08/2018

8K – Road – 36:01 – AF

Another mildly underwhelming lunchtime run – both Achilles stiff/sore again for the first few minutes but became more tolerable as time went by.

Feel like I’m at a tipping point of whether to keeping plugging away at it and hope my form returns, or lock all my runners in the shed for a month and see what happens after that.

03/08/2018

10K – Road – 46:17 – NB

A much more enjoyable run today thank god – still a few niggles niggling about but felt a bit better than I have on recent runs.

It was pretty hot too so not a bad effort to be only 4 minutes slower than my race last weekend over the same distance.

06/08/2018

10K – Road – 43:59 – NB

Bump…..was on holidays last week so took a bit of a running break too to let the body refresh a bit.

Did one run up in Mayo and was very happy with it – didn’t feel like I pushed too hard and felt I had more in the tank for the first time in ages.

Had half planned another run or two but didn’t make it out between all the spa treatments and creamy pints of Guinness :-)

Also executed a very strategic strike on Kildare Village since last update – came back with a pair of NB 1400’s and a pair of Nike Pegasus….hoping that the combo of retail therapy and rest will set me up for the autumn.

15/08/2018

8K – Road – 36:59 – AD

Yet another comeback :-)

Still battling a lingering head-cold but badly needed some headspace so hit the road for a plod.

It went pretty ok in the end – no major aches or pains. Have been doing a lot of stretching etc at home over the last few days so must keep it up.

16/08/2018

Intervals – 8 x 800m – Road – AF

Braved the tropical conditions in Nenagh this afternoon to bang out a few intervals.

Legs were feeling ok after yesterday so put in a solid set:

1) 3:20
    2) 3:13
    3) 3:10
    4) 3:14
    5) 3:15
    6) 3:18
    7) 3:14
    8) 3:11

Fairly consistent pacing I think and felt like I could have done a couple of more without blowing up.

Onwards and upwards :-)

• Advertisement

18/08/2018

7K – Road – 31:14 – NB

Had a hectic day and had planned a longer workout but ended up with a very narrow window in the end……so did the usual default speed session.

Felt grand for the first couple of kms but went a bit flat in the middle section before rallying towards the end.

Ended up having an even more hectic day on Sunday – miraculously got a ticket for Croke Park so was on a bus at 7.30am enroute for Dublin.

Avid readers of this log might remember I’m a Mayo native but having spent 20+ years now in Limerick, I think I qualify under the residency rule :-)

A great day – plenty of carb loading, emotional trauma and 20,000+ steps according to the Garmin.

21/08/2018

8K – Road – 36:08 – AF

Something of a recovery run following recent exertions – pretty standard stuff in hot enough conditions.

Advertisement