Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PB or not PB...that is the question

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,683 ✭✭✭Cartman78

On fupping antibiotics :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Really bad sinus/throat infection - totally wiped out at the minute so running/exercise not even on the radar this week.

Very frustrating - I try very hard to live a healthy lifestyle but seem to pick up every bug going. Take a few vitamins/supplements too but nothing seems to work :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,301 ✭✭✭ariana`

Cartman78 wrote: »
    On fupping antibiotics :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Really bad sinus/throat infection - totally wiped out at the minute so running/exercise not even on the radar this week.

Very frustrating - I try very hard to live a healthy lifestyle but seem to pick up every bug going. Take a few vitamins/supplements too but nothing seems to work :(

You have young kids though right? It's very hard not to pick up every bug going for those few years. Plenty of fluids & rest along with the antibiotic and don't make the mistake of trying to make a comeback before you are 110% well again. Hope you get well soon x

ariana` wrote: »
    You have young kids though right? It's very hard not to pick up every bug going for those few years. Plenty of fluids & rest along with the antibiotic and don't make the mistake of trying to make a comeback before you are 110% well again. Hope you get well soon x

Hi – thanks a lot for the reply…I deffo had the Monday Morning Augmentin Blues earlier on.

Have 2 kids alright – a 5 yr old and 2.5 yr old….love them to bits but they are basically glorified germ traffickers :pac:

I guess my previous post was a bit ranty but literally sick of being sick at this stage…..would be a lot easier to take maybe if I was a drinker, a smoker, cake addict etc.

Anyway, probably no harm my Achilles get a break for a couple of weeks….before I head into John Treacy 10 Mile training.

10/11/2017

5K – Threadmill – 23:21 – SK

My first cardio exercise in 2 weeks! Have been feeling a lot better the last couple of days so reckoned a gently indoor jaunt probably wouldn’t do any harm.

Took it fairly easy I think – wasn’t out of breath at any stage so hopefully I can get back in the groove in the next couple of weeks.

The missus is encouraging me to the Run in the Dark next week – hadn’t really planned on it but it’s for a good cause so could use it as a training run rather than a race maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

Yeh :D

• Advertisement

12/11/2017

10K – Road – 46:24 – AF

Hadn’t really planned on going on this weekend but yesterday was such a glorious sunny day it seemed a shame not to.

Didn’t want to push too hard as I’m still kinda in recovery mode but settled into a comfortable 4:40 per km pace early and kept it going.

Felt a-ok all the way round so happy enough.

13/11/2017

8K – Threadmill – 35:14 – SK

Another solid run to get the week started – as ever with a run of this distance on the threadmill it was almost more of a mental challenge than a physical one.

In other running related news, I ordered my first ever running head torch online today. The club are starting 10 mile midweek runs so a torch is a necessity if I’m going to take part – I think a group run might be the way forward for me for ‘long’ runs….struggling to do any sort of distance on my own lately.

16/11/2017

Run in the Dark - Limerick 10K

9.06K – Road – 38:22 – AF

Very happy with this after the last couple of weeks – had aimed for 42:30 for 10K and nailed the pace…albeit over 9K due to the course being amended at the last minute because of heavy traffic around UL.

There was a decent turnout – have seen estimates online of 200+ which sounds about right I think. Didn’t recognise any regular heads for clubs/races so figured I’d probably end up being near the front even though I wasn’t racing. Sure enough, a mini-group of maybe 6 or 7 of us headed off at the start with a couple of lads opening up an early gap. Settled into a nice groove @ 4:10 pace and passed a couple of guys around 2.5K.

Headed back into running traffic then as the course was basically a 2.5K out and back (x 2 for 10K) so this slowed me down a bit…got passed by a fella then near the 5K mark which was slightly annoying but then saw he was doing the 5K so didn’t mind so much :rolleyes:

Anyway, kept the pace going as best I could while dodging the masses on the way back out again. The guy ahead of me was about 2 mins ahead or so and there was nobody close behind really so it was just a matter of grinding out the pace and not ploughing into people who had no sense of spatial awareness :pac:

Wasn’t too disappointed to see that the course was short tbh….was tiring a bit at the end which was to be expected. Wasn’t knackered or anything but knew there wasn’t a whole lot left in the tank. Finished in 2nd place, no injuries, no post-sinus infection shenanigans and contributed to a fantastic charity initiative so a good night out.

I’d recommend listening to the Mark Pollock interview on An Irishman Abroad if you get a chance - certainly inspired me to go for a run on a crappy wet Wednesday night in November :D

16/11/2017

5K – Threadmill – 20:23 – SK

After yet another frustrating morning at work, a quick blitz on the threadmill was required to clear my head.

Probably serves little or no purpose from a training point of view but burned off a few calories and a stress buildup.

Forgot to say in my non-race race report above that I arrived historically early for the race last night somehow so actually had time for both a proper warm up and faffing about with gear. Did a proper cool down as well so probably clocked up around 13K in total last night.

17/11/2017

9.6K – Road – 46:03 – AT

A Late Week Slowish Medium Distance Effort (?)

Aimed to run at 4:45+ per km and achieved that….fatigue set in around 7K…both quads felt tired. Nothing to worry about I think – a good roll on the BackBaller tonight will sort me out.

Don’t have any major plans for the weekend – might sneak in a 10-12K on Sunday but will see how I’m feeling.

• Advertisement

19/11/2017

Intervals - 12 x 400m – Road – AF

Yet another higgledy-piggledy weekend which involved spending most of Saturday in A+E with the young fella (all ok now – he’s made a Lazarus type recovery since) and general unscheduled child related shenanigans.

Anyway the dust settled a bit yesterday afternoon so needed a session with Dr. Tarmac, didn’t feel like a long slow run or a short fast one so did some intervals for the first time in ages.

Went well enough – a couple of outliers but most in the solid if unspectacular 1:30 – 1:35 range.

21/11/2017

6K - Treadmill – 25:01 - SK

Only realised today that I’ve been spelling treadmill incorrectly for possible all of my life….luckily nobody reading this seems to get a grammar/spelling pedant.

Had planned this as a pyramid-style time trail – aim was to run 5 mins at 13.5kmph and increase the pace by 0.5kmph every 5 mins which would have brought me up to 5 mins at 16kmph to finish.

Didn’t quite make it obviously – got to 15.5kmph and a combination of tiredness and boredom (and my lunch break end closing in) meant that I cut if slightly short and stopped at 6K.

Not a bad workout all the same – will try to get out on the road tomorrow at some stage.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sick again goddammmit....the missus and the young fella had a nasty viral infection thingy last week and, quelle surprise, I picked it up as well :rolleyes:

All bunged up again and knackered.....in that limbo of not being sick enough for antibiotic but unable to do anything other than sit on the couch moaning.

Also had an interview last week (which went bizarrely well in the circumstances...I think) so spent any spare time I had prepping for it.

So, sorry for the rant, needed to vent somewhere :D

Am dosing myself with vitamins and all sorts of good things so hopefully that'll stand to me when I get back on the road

30/11/2017

3K - Treadmill – 14:16 - SK

Still struggling with the tail end (or possibly the beginning of another) virus/cold…..thought I was nearly over it yesterday but still meh today.

Decided to do a bit of exercise anyway – I’m hoping that the mental benefits will outweigh any physical damage I might have done :o

Foolhardy maybe but time will tell – cleared the head anyway and didn’t push too hard.

01/12/2017

5K - Treadmill – 22:11 - SK

Can’t remember anything about this ‘run’ but my watch tells me it happened and I have a vague recollection of sweating profusely on Friday afternoon :D

04/12/2017

8K - Treadmill – 33:59 – SK

Still struggling with my sinus/head-cold so running outdoors is a no-no at the minute.

The Dungarvan 10 isn’t that far away now and I had hope to have a couple of solid 10 milers done with the club at this stage but it simply isn’t an option at the minute. Can’t seem to shake this thing at all despite taking pro-biotics and every vitamin under the sun.

Anyway, the plan for this week is to get a good solid 4-5 runs in on the treadmill if possible. The combination of my lingering cold and polar weather front later in the week means I’m unlikely to do any real running for another bit.

Am hoping that I can maintain fitness on the treadmill and get back to normal asap

05/12/2017

8.1K - Treadmill – 34:00 – SK

Possibly my most enjoyable workout ever on the treadmill…..actually set out with a plan and stuck to it for possibly the first time ever :)

Did 2 mins @ 14 kmph, 2 mins @ 14.5 kmph, 2 mins @ 14 kmph, 2 mins @ 14.6 kmph etc……..ending up with 2 mins @ 15.4 kmph.

There’s probably a name for that kind of session but I have no idea what it is….maybe Incremental Inverted Pyramid Intervals (IIPI)??

My sinuses finally seem to be clearing up so hopefully turning a corner on that front.

06/12/2017

8.13K - Treadmill – 34:00 – SK

Basically a repeat of yesterday’s IIPI session :D

Another solid effort – in hindsight I could probably have headed outside but having been sick to varying degrees for the last month I don’t want to take any chances.

07/12/2017

5K - Treadmill – 19:57 – SK

29K on the treadmill in 4 days – surely that has to be some sort of national record!?!? :D:D:D:D

A variation on my recently discovered IIPI session – this time my slow 2 mins was at 15kmph with the intervals going up by 0.1kmph.

Gonna be tied up with Christmas and family related stuff over the next couple of days so it’s looking like Sunday at the earlier before I do anything again.

Pretty happy with my treadmill running this week I have to say – not ideal but feel like I’ve recovered my fitness a bit so hopefully back to some real running soon

11/12/2017

8.06K - Treadmill – 34:00 – SK

Estimated calories consumed since last update (to the nearest million) : 627 million

Estimated calories burned : 147

Well, as predicted, I did virtually no exercise since last Thursday apart from a couple of long walks with the dog, some calf raises and a bit of core and weights stuff.

A couple of Irish Coffees, some Ferrero Rochers & birthday cake meant a bit of a deviation from my normal monk-like diet as well.

Anyway, all that goes to explain while I was feeling a bit leggy and blueugh today – came very close to hitting the big red stop button a few times but ground it out to finish the 34 minutes.

I think I’m getting a bit of treadmill fatigue as well – itching to get outside for a run so hopefully this cold weather goes away soon

12/12/2017

7.5K - Treadmill – 33:07 – SK

Still feeling a bit wheezy/congested so yet another indoor session.

Changed it up slightly today with a greater mix of interval speeds so it was something approaching a fartlek I guess.

Felt better than yesterday so the Ferrero Rochers must be full burned off at this stage.

The John Treacy 10 is starting to loom on the horizon now – I have to admit I’m way behind where I’d like to have been in terms of mileage but hoping that the treadmill is giving me at least a solid aerobic base to work with

• Advertisement

14/12/2017

8K - Road – 35:27 – AF

Finally, finally, finally….I’ve done a run that wasn’t on a fupping treadmill.

Seems like a long time since I’ve ran outdoors and it felt great to be out there. Was lucky with the weather – there’s been hailstones and driving rain here all morning but it seemed to ease off around lunchtime.

It was still only about 4 degrees and spitting rain with a dirty North wind but I thoroughly enjoyed every single step of it.

Aimed to run at a steady 4:25 mins per km and bar a couple of outliers I was bang on the banana pace-wise.

15/12/2017

7K - Road – 32:11 – AF

A bit of a nothing run really but another few miles in the legs and some very fresh, crisp air to wake me up after a morning of staring at mind-boggling VBA code.

I think the recent stint on the treadmill certainly didn’t do me any harm – will hopefully get out for something approaching a long run over the weekend.

17/12/2017

16K - Road – 1:19:40 – AF

16 x 5min km’s done :pac:

Was a bit sluggish starting off but managed to knuckle down and grind it out. Can’t say I really enjoy running at that speed tbh but need to get a few miles in the legs and can work on getting faster over the coming weeks.

The Dungarvan 10 is only 48 days (:eek:) away now so plan to get a fair few 10+ milers in.

18/12/2017

6K - Treadmill – 25:19 – SK

A mid-intensity workout to start the week – no problems after Sunday’s long run so all good

19/12/2017

10K - Road – 43:06 – AT

Decided to do a fairly full on time trial to see where I’m at….the aim was to hold at 4:15 pace (42:30) and I was going fairly solid for the first 7K before a bit of a dip.

Not a bad workout though – a quick check online and it seems that it’s comfortably my fastest 10k training run of the year.

Signed up for the Mallow 10 Miler earlier today so my 2018 spring calendar is starting to fill out nicely now so fingers crossed I can keep the show on the road.

17K - Road - 1:22:07 - AF

My longest run in a while...had actually planned 16K but was slightly off on my estimate.

Upped the pace a bit from previous 'long' run and found it OK.

24/12/2017

8.25K - Road - 38:09 - AD

A bit of a festive struggle today...had planned a much quicker run but it descended into a slog.

Going for a run after lunch probably wasn't a good idea in hindsight (and foresight indeed).....felt stodgy and bloaty so was just glad to get a few miles in either way

30/12/2017

17K - Road - 1:21:38 - AF

So I've switched inadvertently from frequent short runs to infrequent long runs :-)

Was tied up over the last few days with crap weather, sick kids and family meetups so hadn't a chance to get out.

Did another different route today - very hilly and long sections directly into a dirty wind but found the pace and distance very comfortable.....not sure if I'll be in sub 65 mins condition for Dungarvan but I'm happy with the progress.

Anyway hope everyone had a good Christmas and Happy New Year to anyone that reads this :-)

I've had a weird year on numerous fronts but maintaining this log has helped keep me running consistently so all the feedback, advice and encouragement (and Thanks) are appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

If your able to do a solo near sub 43min 10k TT in mid December, sub 65min in Dungarvan is well attainable.

31/12/2017

Intervals - 15 x 400m - Road - AD

My last run of the year and the first ever wearing a headlamp. Found it pretty decent although it probably helped that I am super familiar with the roads I was on.

Didn't burst a gut doing these by any means but probably did most of them at around 3:50 km pace.

Briefly toyed with the idea of doing a local 5 Miler today but nothing to gain from doing it really I think.

02/01/2018

8K - Road – 33:48 – AF

There’s no sign of the storm in Shannon yet so was glad to get out for first lunchtime blitz of the year.

Ran reasonably hard and it felt good – probably haven’t felt this good on the road since early Autumn.

No niggles and, despite the missus and both kids all currently on antibiotics, no colds :cool:

• Advertisement

03/01/2018

6K - Treadmill – 25:48 – SK

A pretty mundane workout – tried to shake it up a bit so it was probably a quasi-incremental-intervals-fartlek style effort.

Not a lot to be said about it really – didn’t go too mad pace wise and legs and body still feeling ok despite literally everyone I know having the flu and/or very heavy colds.

Advertisement