Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Junior Cycle L2LP Curriulum

Options
  • 05-01-2017 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm starting in a special school in January and I've got a class of 14 - 18 year old children, some of whom are doing the Junior Cycle Level 2 course. I seem to encounter a cyclic loop every time I Google for this bloody thing, can anyone point me in the direction of the actual PDFs with the Learning Outcomes and all those things you need for planning? I'm looking for Language & Communication, Maths and S.E.S.E.

I've actually been looking for about eight hours now and it's impossible to find them. Do they exist? Are they totally mythical? Should I somehow earn them?

It actually boggles the mind how stupid the Irish education system is. One Google search should find that info. I have enough to be doing and I'm sure any other person does too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

I have limited knowledge of this but I didn't think the new JC covered any of that at level 2. I thought it was just the five Priority Learning Units which have learning outcomes listed in the Guideline document. These are Communicating and Literacy, Numeracy, Personal Care, Living in a Community and Preparing for Work. And a few short courses - Forensics and Animal Care are the ones I'm familiar with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

Thanks Arlessienne,

It seems you're correct, I had skimmed through the guidelines but I'm just looking for something concrete to work from at this point. What I'm actually after are the Communicating and Literacy, Numeracy curricula. Do you know if there are PDFs available anywhere?

The class teacher gave me these word documents with grids in them (Element/Learning Outcome/Indicative Content/Evidence) but they don't look like they're the official one so I'd like to cross-reference to make sure nothing's missing.

Thanks again for your help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭aratsarse101

There is nothing concrete with the Junior Cycle anymore. There is no curriculum. They have something called a specification. It's a it of a fudge but you have flexibility to do what you like really. There won't realistically be a lot of consistency but that doesn't seem to matter so much anymore. Do what you like as long as it's relevant and you feel it's advantageous to your group.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

I don't think what you're looking for exists yet. Special schools would have previously been using some of the level 2 QQI/FETAC modules and in the last few years, these would have been written at local level, which is why I'd imagine the documents you've been given don't look official.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭05eaftqbrs9jlh

That's all really helpful, thanks so much everyone. I was able to glean from the notes they gave me and the guidelines what is expected of me from a planning perspective. There are some useful notes as to the activities to undertake with students.

Can I follow my initial question up with this next one (and several more on the same topic)? Anyone who has worked in a special school: What exactly is expected of the students from an assessment perspective? I've read what it says in the guidelines, but what does it really mean? Will they have to complete assignments and is there any structure or official guidelines for me to follow? I know roughly what I want them to learn because I met the students personally and I've written out some yearly plans based on the sketchy curricula I was given, but from the actual qualification perspective, what is expected of them (and me!)?

Sorry, I'm in at the deep end; in that I've taught in mainstream and special needs schools at Primary level but now I'm essentially overseeing Secondary students so I just want to make sure I'm doing everything I can

o.O Hence why I'm here 3am on a Friday on my laptop instead of out acting the maggot. :D

Advertisement