Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daytripper Festival 2017

Options
  • 05-01-2017 3:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭

I wonder will there be a Daytripper Festival in 2017 ???

heard rumblings that the festival is going to be partnered up with the Tramore Ska and Reggae Festival. That would make sense as theres a strong Ska following in Waterford and a lot of previous Daytripper acts were of the Ska/Reggae genre

Although us Waterford people give out about it each year (acts are crap, RSC is too far out etc) its a great thing for the City each summer

Still holding out for Tears For Fears to headline the festival

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

PTH2009 wrote: »

heard rumblings that the festival is going to be partnered up with the Tramore Ska and Reggae Festival. That would make sense as theres a strong Ska following in Waterford and a lot of previous Daytripper acts were of the Ska/Reggae genre

Although us Waterford people give out about it each year (acts are crap, RSC is too far out etc) its a great thing for the City each summer

To be fair, most people love it including myself, always a small minority will give out and find some reason to complain, half of them I'd be surprised actually at it.
    Roll on summer one in gas works, been to every one so far, madness not to be.(no pun intended)

To be fair, most people love it including myself, always a small minority will give out and find some reason to complain, half of them I'd be surprised actually at it.
    Roll on summer one in gas works, been to every one so far, madness not to be.(no pun intended)

• Registered Users Posts: 38,349 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Only year I didn't attend was last year due to other things but enjoyed seeing The Darkness, Kaiser Chiefs, Walking on cars and Madness the previous years

The realization is that the organizers can only afford has been/once famous acts (nicest way I could put it lol) but it sells as the acts that play have some good tunes and it's a day out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I'd say King Kong Company will definitely be there. After that, who knows?
    I'd like to see an Irish night, Villagers, Jape, Lisa Hannigan, O Emperor, there is a ton of good Irish acts these days, the above is just an example.
    And for the dance night, Underworld, Basement Jaxx, Grove Armada, Orbital or someone from that era.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Zero hope of Orbital or Underworld, as much as I'd love it! I just can't see them getting the gate to match their fees.

• Advertisement

Was it JAMES that were in a bit of a huff when they played a few years ago because they thought they were headliners ???

I'd love to see Duran Duran play daytripper but there's no way in hell daytripper could afford them

2017 should be broke up into 3 nights like previous years

Fri- Dance night- Fatboy Slim, Underworld, king Kong kompany etc
    Sat- 80's night with the likes of Tears For Fears, Human League and Bros etc
    Sun- Alternative/rock with Sultans of ping, the Undertones, Tom Chaplin (guy from Keane) etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,387 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

ive never been to this, out of fear of being happy:D

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Theres a rumour going around that this years daytripper will actually take place on the last weekend in August instead of the first weekend of July, if thats the case, then in my opinion, its a great move.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Theres a rumour going around that this years daytripper will actually take place on the last weekend in August instead of the first weekend of July, if thats the case, then in my opinion, its a great move.

Is that clashing with Electric Picnic?

iseegirls wrote: »
    Is that clashing with Electric Picnic?

Nope, thats the first weekend of September this year.

https://www.electricpicnic.ie/information/ticket-info

• Advertisement

Aquos76 wrote:

Better chance of better weather, good move

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭azimuth17

Is it true that this year's event will be held on the new Waterside car park?

Would assume it will be yeah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Having it the week before the picnic will affect numbers. It's a bad idea if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Ireland is so full of music and arts festivals now-a-days, it's so tough to know what weekend would be in anyway better than another. There's also other events like if Waterford does well in the hurling, does that have an effect if they were playing on the weekend of the music festival.

Having it late August seems to be a good idea, promote it heavily in Waterford City when people are in around for Spraoi and other summer events.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

iseegirls wrote: »
    Ireland is so full of music and arts festivals now-a-days, it's so tough to know what weekend would be in anyway better than another. There's also other events like if Waterford does well in the hurling, does that have an effect if they were playing on the weekend of the music festival.

Having it late August seems to be a good idea, promote it heavily in Waterford City when people are in around for Spraoi and other summer events.

Would having it as part of Spraoi not be a better idea ?. As using it as the highlight of it ?. Basically the VIP paid for part of music acts ?.

From what I heard, the headline act that they want this year can only do that weekend so thats why they are running with this weekend.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    From what I heard, the headline act that they want this year can only do that weekend so thats why they are running with this weekend.

Who is the act do u knw ???

Who is the act do u knw ???

I don't I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

looks like being last weekend in August, but there is a valid reason to go that late

• Advertisement

I think yer man jamiroquai would be a good headliner

He's bringing out a new album and is doing a summer tour around Europe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

Will Bob Dylan be there singing about harmonicas and getting a few lacks in muldoons?

I think yer man jamiroquai would be a good headliner

He's bringing out a new album and is doing a summer tour around Europe

Was always a fan of him, great songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Smell the glove

Really hope it's not someone like Jamiroquai, awful band, awful frontman. For the 90's night would love to see something like Richard Ashcroft being supported by someone like Cast or Kula Shaker but have no idea would that be within price range. I remember Paul Weller played in South years ago, wonder could they afford him for the 80's night, or if he is even doing anything this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Glennns

Came across sumthing to nite looks like ub40 are booked for d 26th of august for day tripper 2017

Glennns wrote: »
    Came across sumthing to nite looks like ub40 are booked for d 26th of august for day tripper 2017

I saw something like that also, but haven't they played day tripper in the past?

FC12CE4B-3420-46A1-ADC3-EBEA3C0C8C1B_zpsjul0fvxx.png

Yeh they played there 2 yrs ago seems like they booked again? Played a great gig last time, unusual that they b back again

great to see this festival still going, unfortunately i cant ever see myself going to it. sounds like its well run to

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    great to see this festival still going, unfortunately i cant ever see myself going to it. sounds like its well run to

Ah yeh it is well run, didnt go last year as I didn't like d location out in d regional sports centre, hopefully it b back in town this year, rumours it b on waterside? Ub40 were unreal last time they played, always sumthing there to suit every1 tastes over d 3 days

• Advertisement

Glennns wrote: »
    Ah yeh it is well run, didnt go last year as I didn't like d location out in d regional sports centre, hopefully it b back in town this year, rumours it b on waterside? Ub40 were unreal last time they played, always sumthing there to suit every1 tastes over d 3 days

unfortunately there hasnt been anything to attract me down to it yet but good to see it continue

Advertisement