Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

toddler too moody after naptime, help!

Options
  • 05-01-2017 4:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭

Every day when my daughter (she is 2 years 2 months) wakes up from her nap she is very moody and demands mommy to hold her in her arms for around 30 minutes or so before she actually wakes up properly. If mommy is busy and cannot attend on that particular day, she resorts to a tantrum when you put her down on her feet. When she is with me alone she is usually fine fine but if mommy is in the room she wants her cuddles or else.

Does anyone else have a similar situation, what advice can you offer us please? Also, when your toddler wakes up from nap how do you deal with it?

thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Does she wake herself or do you wake her?
    Does she wake hungry?
    Does she nap in her own bedroom?
    Does she go to sleep on her own?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

armabelle wrote: »
    Every day when my daughter (she is 2 years 2 months) wakes up from her nap she is very moody and demands mommy to hold her in her arms for around 30 minutes or so before she actually wakes up properly. If mommy is busy and cannot attend on that particular day, she resorts to a tantrum when you put her down on her feet. When she is with me alone she is usually fine fine but if mommy is in the room she wants her cuddles or else.

Does anyone else have a similar situation, what advice can you offer us please? Also, when your toddler wakes up from nap how do you deal with it?

thanks

Our daughter was like that as well, like an absolute WEASEL when she woke from her nap. We tried everything and the last thing we tried was cutting the nap out altogether. She was like a new baby. Gets up around 8am, gets sleepy around 6.30 and will ask to go to bed by 7. Obviously it might not be the case with your LO, but it seemed as though ours wasn't really tired enough at nap time to actually go straight to sleep, and by the time she dozed off it was time to get up and she was just groggy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭armabelle

Moonbeam wrote: »
    Does she wake herself or do you wake her?
    Does she wake hungry?
    Does she nap in her own bedroom?
    Does she go to sleep on her own?

1) We wake her because we don´t want her napping too much else she doesn't sleep through the night so we give her a set time every day to snooze
    2) I don't think she wakes hungry, she gets many chances to eat in the day
    3) not in her own bedroom, in the car sometimes but usually on the sofa in the living room
    4) She never goes to sleep on her own yet

thanks for your questions

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭otwb1

armabelle wrote:
    1) We wake her because we don´t want her napping too much else she doesn't sleep through the night so we give her a set time every day to snooze

3) not in her own bedroom, in the car sometimes but usually on the sofa in the living room

My 2.5 year old is like that if he doesnt get a decent nap. if you can at all I'd set a regular nap time and start teaching her how to sleep in her own room. My guy will quite happily sleep for 2-2.5 hours in the middle of the day and sleeps for 11/12 hours at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

armabelle wrote: »
    Every day when my daughter (she is 2 years 2 months) wakes up from her nap she is very moody and demands mommy to hold her in her arms for around 30 minutes or so before she actually wakes up properly.

Have a niece that age and have gone to check if she was awake from nap. As I don't mind her often I'm always keen to go to get her up before she is ready and is still a little groggy. Now if I see she is awake, then unless she is jumping instead of still lying down, I just go back downstairs and wait another half hour.

If she's up pick her up, down, then leave her down.

• Advertisement

otwb1 wrote: »
    My 2.5 year old is like that if he doesnt get a decent nap. if you can at all I'd set a regular nap time and start teaching her how to sleep in her own room. My guy will quite happily sleep for 2-2.5 hours in the middle of the day and sleeps for 11/12 hours at night.

Thanks. We meet a lot of people with kids who sleep this much here. When we moved to Ireland this was very new to us as we had never heard of toddlers sleeping this much. Maybe the climate has something to do with it.

my daughter will never sleep more than 9.5 hours in the night. She will only sleep through the entire 9.5 hours when she naps no more than 50 minutes in the day.

Have a niece that age and have gone to check if she was awake from nap. As I don't mind her often I'm always keen to go to get her up before she is ready and is still a little groggy. Now if I see she is awake, then unless she is jumping instead of still lying down, I just go back downstairs and wait another half hour.

If she's up pick her up, down, then leave her down.

That is why I started this post. I feel like we should be able to put her down without her winging. If mom is here it is impossible. In general she moans for just about everything with mom around.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I think waking her is the issue,If I wake my 2 year old she is extremely cranky too.
    Maybe she needs longer during the day and less sleep at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Sleep begets sleep. If they have a decent nap they'll sleep well at night ( usually) the general idea at that age is only about 5 hrsv awake. So she may not be going down at night because she's over tired and the window is missed?

Also id say she's cranky because you are walking her as others have said. You'd be cranky if you were superb every day too while asleep! I usually carry my toddler around for a few minutes and then he sees a toy and he's off.
    The sofa could be the other issue. It's nit as comfy as a bed. I wouldn't worry about needing someone to go asleep as that is very common for all ages of children.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

If you were woken when you were asleep, would you be particularly happy?

When my daughter was 2 years and 2 months, she slept a good 2.5 hours sometime between 12 and 3pm every day. She was also very much a 10hour night time sleeper. Never was one of these babies that sleeps 11 or 12 hours. If she did not get enough sleep during the day and became overtired, she woke even earlier the next morning. Sleep begets sleep for us anyway, the more rested she is, the better she sleeps.She's now 2 years and 7 months and sleeps 2 hours roughly around 12:30pm .And she takes herself up to bed, she gets tired.

For a couple of weeks I'd suggest trying to leave your daughter sleep her full nap, in her bed. See what happens. Give her time to adjust and for her nightime sleep to adjust. Rule of thumb for us was about 5 hours from waking in the morning, she went for a nap, and then about 4-5 hours from end of nap til bedtime. If there's outdoor exercise in one of those time blocks, even better.

As for the general moaning - she's at a moany age :) If she has her mum for everything and she's tired.....then of course she's going to moan. Goes with the territory. You do have to keep encouraging/teaching them to stop moaning.Just one of those things.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,937 ✭✭✭implausible

My wee girl was like this when woken up. We developed a "don't poke the bear" system and just let her sleep, whether that was in the car or on a couch. Interestingly, she was in much better form if she woke and I was in another room. By the time she'd wake up, get up and toddle in to find me, she'd be grand. Otherwise it was clinging and whinging for half an hour every time. She still slept a full night. The only time the nap affected night time sleep was if it was after 5.

Advertisement