Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horizon (name) gone?

• 05-01-2017 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭

I noticed any mention of horizon is gone from the virgin media site. I assume this is a branding exercise, and the same box is being used? Also they seem to have launched a website for watching TV

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

You're right, they appear to have dropped the Horizon brand. It's Virgin TV now. Even the Horizon Go website has been moved to virginmediatv.ie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Kurn

It's much cleaner look, shame the don't role out better boxes, instead of wallpapering over mold!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Kurn wrote: »
    It's much cleaner look, shame the don't role out better boxes, instead of wallpapering over mold!

they are...a 4k box is in production with capabilities of 5 recordings looks as ugly as sin from the pics seen of it so far

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,161 ✭✭✭cubix

IF virgin are bringing out a new box I take it there will be no updates for existing horizon box. The epg one in particular when switching between channels you only get info on what is playing and and have to side scroll to get what's on next.

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭OfTheMarsWongs

Just noticed this today when I went to download the Horizon app to a new phone. It's called the Virgin TV app now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

all that is Virgin UK and TiVo and its been stated in the past Ireland wont be adopting the Tivo platform

No. However, it seems Ireland will get the same box but with the Horizon front end.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/media-and-marketing/virgin-media-leaves-horizon-behind-in-television-platform-rebrand-1.2934445

They better sort out the damn navigation clunkyness/sluggishness first
    The technology underpinning the Horizon set-top boxes, which were first introduced to the Irish market in 2013, will remain the same, Mr Farrell said. A software update scheduled for later this year will provide support for 4K or Ultra HD viewing.
    Customers with older, pre-Horizon set-top boxes will be encouraged to upgrade, he added.
    There will be uproar if folks have to give up their TiVo box for the Ex Horizon rubbish.
    It is also expected that Virgin Media in the UK, which uses set-top box technology known as TiVo, will switch to the platform used by Liberty’s companies across Europe.

The UK is getting (as in rollout has started!) the V6 box but with the TiVo front end. My understanding was that the same box was to be rolled out in other Liberty markets with what up till now we were calling the Horizon EPG. I think the Irish Times has its wires crossed on that aspect.

Maybe some of the more technically minded can explain if 4K really is as simple as a software update?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,592 ✭✭✭✭L1011

icdg wrote: »
    Maybe some of the more technically minded can explain if 4K really is as simple as a software update?

I believe the Intel chipset in the box can support it so it should be possible as an update.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,879 ✭✭✭ozmo

They want €60 to upgrade - but free for new customers...(plus other discounts)

How long do you have to be not a customer - to get their cheap new customer deal?

Can I cancel and rejoin?

“Roll it back”

Advertisement