Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nowlan Park Possible for Rugby World Cup 2023

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭cats pyjamas

It would be great if it is used. 12 stadia were submitted with only 8 required.

Its the only gaa stadium which is roofed on 4 sides!

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Are there any further development plans for the park. I know there has been alot of improvements over the last few years. Any plans to extend roof on the O Loughlin road side of the ground?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

That's great. We certainly have enough hotel beds which is a reason why semple stadium was overlooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

There's certainly "fancier" venues listed. I see Castlebar listed. No doubt Enda Kenny feathering his own little nest there ;)
    Not sure Nowlan would be picked of the final 8. It's a good venue but not sure it's quite up there with some of the others just yet.

gobo99 wrote: »
    Are there any further development plans for the park. I know there has been alot of improvements over the last few years. Any plans to extend roof on the O Loughlin road side of the ground?

Not sure really above and beyond the past few years. Maybe improve the seating in parts of it but I don't know.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

Just FYI. The 12 venues will not necessarily be cut back to 8. 8 is the minimum but there could just as easily be 9 or 10 venues used if the bid is successful.
    Derry and castlebar are the two at biggest risk of being cut IMO. Nowlan park would be at risk for the chop if they cut it to 9 I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

gobo99 wrote: »

I thought they looked to exrend the roof when the old one blew off a few years ago but were tutned down.
    If the Park gets selected for the RWC I imagine there'll be some upgrades to toilets, dressing rooms, media facilities etc. I'd also love to see something done with the uncovered seating. That hasnt been touched in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Dunmoreroader

Depends on how inclusive they want to be i.e. spreading the venues around the regions or keep to the rugby heartlands. If its the former, Nowlan Pk has a good chance of inclusion, if the latter, not so much. Its the only decent venue in the Southeast, love going to NHL and A.I. qualifier hurling matches there, would be great boost to land a match or two and the investment that would precede the rugby. Walsh Park down here sh1te by comparison alas.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Mankbag

Depends on how inclusive they want to be i.e. spreading the venues around the regions or keep to the rugby heartlands. If its the former, Nowlan Pk has a good chance of inclusion, if the latter, not so much. Its the only decent venue in the Southeast, love going to NHL and A.I. qualifier hurling matches there, would be great boost to land a match or two and the investment that would precede the rugby. Walsh Park down here sh1te by comparison alas.

Naturally they want to make it as widespread as possible. It couldn't work were the matches confined to Dublin, Belfast, Limerick and Cork.

That's why Nowlan Park is in with a good chance of being selected as a venue, assuming continuing development there. A 30,000-capacity stadium with good road and rail links 75 miles away from Dublin: it'd be a no-brainer.

I think it'll be more the quality of the venue and the broader venue i.e. The town city being considered. Nowlan park would require some works to bring it up to scratch, but not a whole lot I think.
    The hotels and general capicity for visitors is a big consideration I believe which would be a plus. Thurles was passed over for to this.
    The location nearest to Dublin is a plus, as the Games will be centred on Dublin.

• Advertisement

The location nearest to Dublin is a plus, as the Games will be centred on Dublin.[/QUOTE]

No, they won't be. This is an all-island bid. Only three of the potential 12 venues are in Dublin.

Mankbag wrote: »
    The location nearest to Dublin is a plus, as the Games will be centred on Dublin.

No, they won't be. This is an all-island bid. Only three of the potential 12 venues are in Dublin.[/QUOTE]

That's what I meant! If 3 venues are in Dublin out of the 12 potential then it's fairly Dublin centric ;) (which I've no problem with btw).

road_high wrote: »
    No, they won't be. This is an all-island bid. Only three of the potential 12 venues are in Dublin.

That's what I meant! If 3 venues are in Dublin out of the 12 potential then it's fairly Dublin centric ;) (which I've no problem with btw).[/QUOTE]

So 25 per cent of the venues being in the capital makes it Dublin-centric. Fair enough. I'd have thought that Cork, Limerick and Belfast being major venues would make it a fairly well spread out tournament.

Out of curiosity, why should you have a "problem" - or not - with this one way or the other? The games are going to be held where the stadia are located. I can't imagine too many people are arguing against holding matches in the Aviva or the RDS.

Mankbag wrote: »
    That's what I meant! If 3 venues are in Dublin out of the 12 potential then it's fairly Dublin centric ;) (which I've no problem with btw).

So 25 per cent of the venues being in the capital makes it Dublin-centric. Fair enough. I'd have thought that Cork, Limerick and Belfast being major venues would make it a fairly well spread out tournament.

Out of curiosity, why should you have a "problem" - or not - with this one way or the other? The games are going to be held where the stadia are located. I can't imagine too many people are arguing against holding matches in the Aviva or the RDS.[/QUOTE]

Christ you really like arguing with people just for the sake of it, don't you? I'm really not interested in this conversation and I'm done, thanks.

Advertisement