Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPH Ember

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭seanvox

We mostly just use the app for boosts and changes to the schedule, next we would boost off the controller and lastly we would boost from the thermostats (but very rarely).

I would recommend contacting EPH directly, they've got back to me really quickly the few times I've had a question.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

However I am noticing lately that if have the set the thermos in the sitting room to give heat, and even when the fire symbol is on, the rads don't heat up. also if we have the thermostat on in the sitting room to give heat and then switch the bedroom thermostat on to give heat, it nearly cuts the heat going to the downstairs zone.

The first problem sounds like your motorised zone valve may not be opening, or, more likely, that you have a TRV on the radiators that's set to cut out at too low a room temp. With the second issue its normal when you have one zone heating and then turn on the second zone that the water temp in the rads in the first zone will be cooler for maybe up to 10 or 15 mins, as the boiler now has to heat all the cold water in the 2nd zones rads as well. If they (downstairs rads) don't ever get back to the correct temperature though it may be that the boiler is undersized, or again that the TRVs on the downstairs rads are kicking in early to shut down the rads as they hit their set temp, which may be lower than the thermostats target temp.

• Registered Users Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

I noticed that there is an Alexa skill now for Ember. I enabled it, authorised my account by providing the Ember login but Alexa doesn't find any devices.

Anyone get this working?

https://www.amazon.com/EPH-Controls-EMBER-Thermostats/dp/B0814YV22G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Ember&qid=1574263577&s=digital-skills&sr=1-1

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

Páid wrote: »
    I noticed that there is an Alexa skill now for Ember. I enabled it, authorised my account by providing the Ember login but Alexa doesn't find any devices.

Anyone get this working?

https://www.amazon.com/EPH-Controls-EMBER-Thermostats/dp/B0814YV22G/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Ember&qid=1574263577&s=digital-skills&sr=1-1

Good to see this is coming, I've a Google Home not an Echo so can't try it unfortunately. I noticed you can sign up for beta versions of the Android Ember app in the Play Store now, so maybe a beta version of the app supports this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone get this working?

based on posts from earlier in the thread this might only be for people using their new thermostat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Hi guys just a query really. I have a 4 zone system at the moment so getting the wireless programmer & gateway to start with. Just wondering am I as well to get the room thermostats & cylinder thermostat form the get-go or will it work sufficiently without?

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RedSteve

I’m buying a house and they have the Ember PS installed, but just dumb thermostats around the house.
    Is it possible for me to swap them out for their smart stats?
    And instal the gateway myself?
    Is the system HomeKit compatible too?
    The website doesn’t give much information.

Reading thru the thread it doesn’t sound too reliable.
    Would I be better off swapping the system out before we get moved in?

RedSteve wrote: »
    I’m buying a house and they have the Ember PS installed, but just dumb thermostats around the house.
    Is it possible for me to swap them out for their smart stats?
    And instal the gateway myself?
    Is the system HomeKit compatible too?
    The website doesn’t give much information.

As a basic system it's reliable. The remote connectivity had had a couple of outages but the normal timers / thermostats will continue to work

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

RedSteve wrote: »

It's fairly reliable, but has had some downtime in the last year.

I wouldn't upgrade to the smart stats and gateway if I was you though. It's €100+ just for the wifi gateway!!

There are better systems out there which allow different temps at different times for each zone. This is long overdue in Ember and there seems to be no plans to add the functionality.

I'd get something that is supported better, with smart TRVs and the temp/time functionality. Most other smart heating also have Siri/Alexa/Google Home support if you're into that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 RedSteve

The water tanks comes with the EPH motorised valves connected. Are they compatible with other systems or would they need to be totally removed and replaced if I wanted to go with another system? Thanks for the help tho lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I have an R37-hw with a couple of CM2S, for upstairs and downstairs.
    What do I need to be able to use Ember? Do I need to replace everything? I have a feeling I do...
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭stamjoe

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I have an R37-hw with a couple of CM2S, for upstairs and downstairs.
    What do I need to be able to use Ember? Do I need to replace everything? I have a feeling I do...
    Cheers

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Is the app gone from the Android Play Store?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,150 ✭✭✭rameire

Ush1 wrote: »
    Is the app gone from the Android Play Store?

I have sent them a message on their website.
    The links on their website to the app are also dead links.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Pique

rameire wrote: »
    I have sent them a message on their website.
    The links on their website to the app are also dead links.

Well that's not a good sign!!

Pique wrote: »
    Well that's not a good sign!!

EPH replied.
    They applied an update.
    Usually this takes a couple of hours.
    But due to Covid, the update can take up to 7 days to apply.
    so it will be back up and running soon.
    Just need Google to dot the t's and cross the i's and press the any key.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,469 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

EPH replied.
    They applied an update.
    Usually this takes a couple of hours.
    But due to Covid, the update can take up to 7 days to apply.
    so it will be back up and running soon.
    Just need Google to dot the t's and cross the i's and press the any key.

Kinda crazy that the app is removed from the play store though?

And the App is back.

And the App is back.

Anything interesting in the update?

matrim wrote: »
    Anything interesting in the update?

No
    Nee, La’, Nā, Ne, M hěi, Vtla, Ne, Ne,
    Nej, Nee, Ei, Ei, Non, Nein, Ochi, ʻAʻole, Loh, Nahin, Nem, Nei
    Tidak, Uimh, No, Īe, Ani, Nihil, Nē, Ne, Méiyǒu, No, Nei, Næh
    Nie, Não, Nahīṁ, Nu, Net, Net, žiadny, št, No, Nej, Illai, Mị̀,
    Yok hayır, Ni, Nahin, Không, Dim, Cha.

• Advertisement

Alexa integration is now working using the Ember Programmer skill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Alexa integration is now working using the Ember Programmer skill.

Set this up last night ... its pretty basic ... on / off / set temps.. have not figured out a boost option or command.

I tried create a routine but not sure it will work.

when you say heating off the heating is set to off (and not auto)
    when you say heating on it is set to on (all the time)

you need to say heating auto to set back to auto.

For a routine there is no option to set to auto, just on and off.

Hopefully they add a boost option to the command set as otherwise its more hassle (unless I am missing something)

Thanks

I've only tested on and off so far. I haven't created a routine.

What I would like to do is say "Alexa turn on Zone A for 30 minutes" but it turns Zone A on and it stays on.

Still, it's progress.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Can't find the Ember programme skill anybody point me in the right direction please

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

I hope they fix some of the issues the app has been having the last few days possibly due to IoS 14.
    I also wish they'd give us the ability, either via the app or via Alexa (I really don't care how) to set temperatures for different times of the day.

In alexa app go to skills and games and search "ember programmer" it should be first result.

I think there is another app for people using the newer controllers. (Ember Thermostats)

mneylon wrote: »
    I hope they fix some of the issues the app has been having the last few days possibly due to IoS 14.
    I also wish they'd give us the ability, either via the app or via Alexa (I really don't care how) to set temperatures for different times of the day.

since connecting the app to alexa I'm noticing more issues with the app. keeps giving error RF connection error and have to go out and back in a few times to get into it.

Hopefully they fix these niggles

LizardKing wrote: »
    since connecting the app to alexa I'm noticing more issues with the app. keeps giving error RF connection error and have to go out and back in a few times to get into it.

Hopefully they fix these niggles

I've noticed that a few times recently and haven't hooked up with alexa.

matrim wrote: »
    I've noticed that a few times recently and haven't hooked up with alexa.

May not be related to Alexa integration so .. just seemed to notice since I setup - thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

LizardKing wrote: »
    In alexa app go to skills and games and search "ember programmer" it should be first result.

I think there is another app for people using the newer controllers. (Ember Thermostats)

Great! Found it thank you

Advertisement