Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EPH Ember

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭mneylon

LizardKing wrote: »
    since connecting the app to alexa I'm noticing more issues with the app. keeps giving error RF connection error and have to go out and back in a few times to get into it.

Hopefully they fix these niggles
    It's been doing that to me for the last few days and I don't have the Alexa skill setup (or if I do I'm not using it!)
    With the change in weather it's not the time for the damn thing to start causing issues!

• Subscribers Posts: 48 AnneRyan

I'm having lots of RF connection errors today. Have reset it 3 times and it's dropped again. Not sure if it's the ember app or that I've got Vodafone Siro WiFi installed about a month ago. Wasn't using heating until the last few days of course.
    Dual 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Is it the app or the wifi
    Gonna smash it......
    Any advice ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭Páid

AnneRyan wrote: »
    I'm having lots of RF connection errors today. Have reset it 3 times and it's dropped again. Not sure if it's the ember app or that I've got Vodafone Siro WiFi installed about a month ago. Wasn't using heating until the last few days of course.
    Dual 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Is it the app or the wifi
    Gonna smash it......
    Any advice ?
    Can you position the WiFi module so it's closer to the router? Or halfway between the router and the heating controls?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I have a two zone plus water EPH system in my house. There is a main control with blue digital display and two temperature controllers, one downstairs and one upstairs...

How do I change these out for nest controllers? Do I just replace the two temp gauges or does the main controller go as well?

I get hot water via solar and also have a combi boiler.

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I have a two zone plus water EPH system in my house. There is a main control with blue digital display and two temperature controllers, one downstairs and one upstairs...

How do I change these out for nest controllers? Do I just replace the two temp gauges or does the main controller go as well?

I get hot water via solar and also have a combi boiler.

I'd be interested in knowing this as well. I'd *love* to swap out the Ember for something else that I could actually integrate with the rest of the house

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 48 AnneRyan

Update, positioned the gateway (box with green light) in line if sight and now back working again. Why did they not say that instead of just NEAR the programmer. Although it was working fine last winter in the other position which suited better.

All fine, FOR NOW !

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rmacken

Hi All, probably best sending a support ticket through to EPH, but just wondering if anyone’s Alexa control is experiencing issues - it discovers and finds the thermostat but just keeps going around in a circle saying “waiting for ember”, app works on phone.

rmacken wrote: »
    Hi All, probably best sending a support ticket through to EPH, but just wondering if anyone’s Alexa control is experiencing issues - it discovers and finds the thermostat but just keeps going around in a circle saying “waiting for ember”, app works on phone.

Try disabling the skill and re-enabling it in Alexa app.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 rmacken

Páid wrote: »
    Try disabling the skill and re-enabling it in Alexa app.

Thanks but no joy unfortunately - I have sent a support ticket, will update here just in case it may help someone else. Thanks again.

Anyone have EPH Ember working in Home Assistant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Anyone have EPH Ember working in Home Assistant?

I wrote the integration and use it to change the temperature at different times of the day.

I installed Home Assistant core on a RaspBerry Pi 3+ but EPH Ember doesn't appear in the list of integrations and there doesn't appear to be a configuration.yaml file either.

It's been a while since I set it up but I don't think it appears in the UI configuration. You will probably have to manually add the configuration to your yaml

https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/ephember/

I read that link. I cannot find configuration.yaml on the pi.

These are the instructions I followed - https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

I read that link. I cannot find configuration.yaml on the pi.

These are the instructions I followed - https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

There has been a move away from manually updating YAML in HA over the last 6 months or so. I'm a few versions behind so not sure where you can manually edit it from in the new version.

Based on the link you provided I'd expect to see it in
    /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I’m currently using this system on a 4 zone. I’ve found it great since I had it installed last year. I currently don’t have any thermostats installed. Would ye recommend getting these installed on the water tank and in each zone?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭THE ALM

I installed Home Assistant core on a RaspBerry Pi 3+ but EPH Ember doesn't appear in the list of integrations and there doesn't appear to be a configuration.yaml file either.

Install the 'file editor' addon under supervisor. When you install and launch this you can open the file editor window where you can browse the file system and you will find the configuration.yaml listed.

Got it working, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rock Paper Scissors

Guys is it a big /expensive job to get extra zones added to this system?

I currently only have 2 zones, hot water and radiators, but would like an additional zone added.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Alfasudcrazy

I just got the gateway unit today in the post and after some initial difficulties managed to get it paired and set up correctly and initially the app was showing my water and central heating temperatures (my two zones) but now both readings are just blank. I repaired the unit with the gateway and the app and powered off and on etc but still showing no readings. ??

The temperature units themselves on the wall are showing the temperatures. ??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭TeaServer

I just got the gateway unit today in the post and after some initial difficulties managed to get it paired and set up correctly and initially the app was showing my water and central heating temperatures (my two zones) but now both readings are just blank. I repaired the unit with the gateway and the app and powered off and on etc but still showing no readings. ??

Is the controller attached to the boiler showing the temperature for each of the thermostats? I had an issue after pairing the gateway that the thermostats had to be repaired to the controller too. Try that.

/T

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Guys is it a big /expensive job to get extra zones added to this system?

I currently only have 2 zones, hot water and radiators, but would like an additional zone added.

You probably got your answer already but it's new pipework, valves, possibly new controls. It's not massive money but it's a disruptive job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,026 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

I find they are very sensitive to the quality of battery you use. Cheap batteries will work for a while but then the RF link to the boiler goes down. Replace them with Duracell and it's back working.

Make sure you can see the temperature of the zones on the boiler controller and try boost on the controller. If both of them aren't working change the batteries and see if they are paired properly.

Mine has stopped working with Alexa, I deleted it all, reinstalled the skill, reset the hub and no dice - can't find the devices. Any advice (other than get something that works :pac: )?

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

Mine has stopped working with Alexa, I deleted it all, reinstalled the skill, reset the hub and no dice - can't find the devices. Any advice (other than get something that works :pac: )?

Same story here.. You'd think they'd be able to get it right.. Got a Air Fryer last week that works with Alexa & Google... So can't be that hard

Looks like some sort of 'update' then. Thanks Skippy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Just to give my tuppence to this thread.

I got the EPH gateway over xmas because I had the EPH system already installed in the house. There was an update on January 4th for the Ember app. I have it working with Alexa, but cant figure out how to get the 'boost 'function working with Alexa? For the most part, it works fine for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Skippy along

newbie2 wrote: »

I got the EPH gateway over xmas because I had the EPH system already installed in the house. There was an update on January 4th for the Ember app. I have it working with Alexa, but cant figure out how to get the 'boost 'function working with Alexa? For the most part, it works fine for me so far.

As far I'm aware of Alexa will only turn on and off the different zones you have set up. Pretty poor really.

It was setting the temp but that was before Ember broke it last year, must try setting it up again.

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »

Dumb question, but what's the skill called? I see two and neither come with much in the way of explanation of features

Advertisement