Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Bike (Circa €1000) B2W

Options
  • 05-01-2017 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭

Hi all

Hope I could dip into your expertise to recommend a road bike for me. Looking for the best possible one I can get for €1000 under bike to work scheme.

I'm 35 and 5ft 11 if it matters. For occasional use maybe once or twice a week for exercise (but may catch the bug)

Ideally want to get one that I don't have to add to or upgrade parts.

Many thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

I got this for commuting and the odd once-a-month longer spin (~60-70k)

https://www.canyon.com/en/road/endurace/2016/endurace-al-6-0.html

Absolutely love it. You order direct from manufacturer so it's cheaper given the parts (105 groupset, Aksium wheels, etc). They are set up for bike to work and have an online sizing guide. Delivery was pretty prompt as they had my bike in stock. Comes "ready to ride" so just straighten bars and put on wheels, but I did have to tinker with brakes a little, but was probably my own preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭route66

This Cube would do the job and comes in under budget: 2017 Cube Attain Race

(Fitzcycles are also one of the better Bricks & Mortar places to buy a bike)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Any restrictions placed by your employer on where you can buy? Does it need to be a bricks & mortar shop or can you go online?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Depends on the employer, some have elected single shops and others dont mind as long as you have a pre-purchase invoice.

Canyon are based in Germany but provide the stuff you need to give to the employer and accept wire transfers. Not sure about other online places tbh. If your finance person is sound enough they should be able to do it ;)

EDIT: Ah, I guess that was directed @ OP, Beasty? Misunderstood

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭flying11

http://www.pedalon.co.uk/acatalog/giant-tcr-advanced-3.html#aGNxx6104823

I think this is a great bargain - €870 (£750) for a 2016 Giant TCR Advanced 3 which is a seriously impressive carbon frame from a very reputable brand. Lifetime frame warranty too.

The 2017 version of the TCR Advanced 3 is basically the exact same with just a different paint scheme and is retailing for approx €1400 (£1200)

• Advertisement
Advertisement