Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Something iffy about that bashir guy...unlike most of the guests on the show who are open and want to have a genuine conversation, he seemed evasive/dodging questions.

Took umbrage at being asked where he was from. Ffs.

Says he has changed his name 3 times too - bit odd....

Falsely pretended to be “akons cousin” in night clubs to attract women .... wtf like ? Creepy

• Registered Users Posts: 16,050 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Sam Hain wrote: »
    When Norris went "yum, yum, yum". Creepy.

A bit like him then. Only one guest on I thought was good tonight and that your man in the middle. Brenda Fricker is before my time so did not really care and Norris I never liked. I find him full of himself, stuck up and creepy.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Watched there on rte +1. Have to say Brenda Flicker was a breath of fresh air. The honesty in how she was feeling so sad and lonely. She's an Oscar winner. U really wouldn't think. Not an ounce of BS or self importance about her.

That kind of honesty is what we need to hear more of from people, not some facade ****e.

Great interview, she should have been given the full show.

Had to turn off asap when the young fella suggested when people ask where are u really from, there really saying your don't belong here. Get over yourself. Too entitled people are becoming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

The dude in the middle was a pain in the hole.

I ask everyone who I meet where they are from? It is a very normal Irish thing to do. Sometimes I am told to mind my own business - that is fine.

I am getting pissed off with these wannabee victims.

I thought the babe rapper was fairly pleasing on the eye. vewy Gangsta - I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

There is so much I want to say about that guy in the middle tonight. I think some introspection is needed on his behalf as much as maybe all of us need to. He probably needs to come to terms with his heritage, skin colour and background and find comfort and pride in it. There are racists in Ireland and of course there will be barriers that maybe an ethnic Irish person from a middle or upper class background will not have to ontend with but someone asking you about where you from is an attempt to develop a rapport. It suggests openness and interest in you and your diversity, not disdain. Very very negative worldview. He should stop projecting his own insecurities. But at the same time we need to have this sort of thing discussed openly and allow people to voice their concerns but it's important that a dialogue is opened not just echo Chambers of feedback validation which only further entrenches us into positions.

BTW my understanding of what Tiernan said about the racially segregated matches was that it was great to see the kids appreciate their diversity(Africans vs Europeans/Irish) but not see it as a truly divisive thing, just as inocouos as defining the lads from the next estate as "other" by virtue of the fact they lived across the way. It had no racial hostility undertones, just a natural way of split of recognising and incorporating diversity. Realistically its hard to see this as a good thing but in a roundabout way, it seems like something that would be healthy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,821 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Feel so sad for the rap group at the end.
    Desperate poor attempt at music. Imagine how shîte your life must be that you have to dress up and carry on like those fools.
    Some American rap is brilliant to listen to but these Irish wannabes is so sad.

Brenda Fricker and Tiernan's questioning was genuinely interesting and as said refreshingly honest and real.

Contrast with Turdity's canned muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

There is so much I want to say about that guy in the middle tonight. I think some introspection is needed on his behalf as much as maybe all of us need to. He probably needs to come to terms with his heritage, skin colour and background and find comfort and pride in it. There are racists in Ireland and of course there will be barriers that maybe an ethnic Irish person from a middle or upper class background will not have to ontend with but someone asking you about where you from is an attempt to develop a rapport. It suggests openness and interest in you and your diversity, not disdain. Very very negative worldview. He should stop projecting his own insecurities. But at the same time we need to have this sort of thing discussed openly and allow people to voice their concerns but it's important that a dialogue is opened not just echo Chambers of feedback validation which only further entrenches us into positions.

BTW my understanding of what Tiernan said about the racially segregated matches was that it was great to see the kids appreciate their diversity(Africans vs Europeans/Irish) but not see it as a truly divisive thing, just as inocouos as defining the lads from the next estate as "other" by virtue of the fact they lived across the way. It had no racial hostility undertones, just a natural way of split of recognising and incorporating diversity. Realistically its hard to see this as a good thing but in a roundabout way, it seems like something that would be healthy.

I think the focus was far too much on the fact that the teams were identified by colour. It would have been interesting if he asked what happened after the game. They were kids still so I’m not expecting they all went for a pint together but playing a football match creates plenty talking points and opportunities for chats, friendship etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭riddles

The gentleman on the Tommy Tiernan show has given some insight into what could be the issue behind this pandemic payment case. The chap in this case was so used to getting knocked back for jobs he got in the habit of routinely changing his names on applications and simply used those names in pandemic payments
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40187019.html

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Cant sadly write what I think about that interview.

Jeez, the victim mentality of Boards.ie posters.

• Advertisement

mfceiling wrote: »
    Come at me everyone but I love David Norris.

So eloquent and educated it makes a change from the stuttering and mispronunciation that a lot of our elected officials suffer from.

This rap though....

The lad was getting a disability payment from Trinity for years while working as a Senator.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I’ve been observing the Irish rap “scene” since the early 90s. It’s pretty crap. Always has been

Go way outa that. This is a banger of a tune.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Go way outa that. This is a banger of a tune.

Oh dear Hazel how did it come to this ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭newhouse87

Good to see Tommy getting a stern rebuke to his ridiculous comment that it's good to see black vs whites games in the school yard.
    Gives an unintentional insight into the doublethink that goes by those in the media.

did think that it was ridiculous to think its good to see non mixing of groups, problems arise when groups stick to there own kind, down the country you see black and white groups mixed but when there is a large proportion of black lads in an area they stick together and don't integrate and this causes problems down the line.

DeanAustin wrote: »
    That’s not what he said at all. We’ve a great country here but there is a racist element in our society.

racist element in every singe society on the planet, its never going away unfortunately. But getting upset at somebody asking where you are from is a bit much.

newhouse87 wrote: »
    racist element in every singe society on the planet, its never going away unfortunately. But getting upset at somebody asking where you are from is a bit much.

I asked a neighbour with a really strong accent where he was from “Belfast but Croatia originally”

Why if it’s Nigeria should there be such offence taken?? It’s the accent not the skin colour!!!

I asked a neighbour with a really strong accent where he was from “Belfast but Croatia originally”

Why if it’s Nigeria should there be such offence taken?? It’s the accent not the skin colour!!!

it would be ignorant and racist to say where are you actually from, i agree with him on that, but anybody who starts new where i work, my first question is where they are from.

it would be ignorant and racist to say where are you actually from, i agree with him on that, but anybody who starts new where i work, my first question is where they are from.

Oh is someone is black/brown and has a local accent and you say that you’re a complete racist.

A mate’s wife is fourth generation British - great grandparents were from Bangladesh. She gets asked where she’s really from a lot. That’s racist, particularly as she’s got a voice like Pat Butcher!!

I tend to err on the side of caution and go “that’s not a Kildare accent, where would that be from now ?”

• Registered Users Posts: 33,602 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

But there seems to be a drive in Irish media recently to make Ireland out to be some sort of backwater full of racists, so it fits the agenda to have this guy on and keeping the negativity going.

We should be ashamed of ourselves.

NIMAN wrote: »
    But there seems to be a drive in Irish media recently to make Ireland out to be some sort of backwater full of racists, so it fits the agenda to have this guy on and keeping the negativity going.

We should be ashamed of ourselves.

This crap from the media is creating divisions where there once was not. Black this white that, all coming from the usa.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

mgn wrote: »
    Great country, still going to collage at 29 years of age.

Maybe he's a slow learner, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

In full agreement with a tweet from the journalist Vincent Hogan asking whether it is time to give Tommy a go at presenting The Late Late Show as he listens to his guests. I’m enjoying his shows. Think the format is good. Imagine the craic if it was like Graham Norton with all the guests on the couch together.

Odeta wrote: »
    In full agreement with a tweet from the journalist Vincent Hogan asking whether it is time to give Tommy a go at presenting The Late Late Show as he listens to his guests. I’m enjoying his shows. Think the format is good. Imagine the craic if it was like Graham Norton with all the guests on the couch together.

It's a great show, but turning it into the Late Late would be terrible. I'm in full agreement with this tweet;

https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/1350746849515286529

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

And I’m sure Nortons numbers are high but the show is dead, same every week and the guests have one over rehearsed story that they just remembered every week ....

Much better watching tubridy tell Cuba gooding jnr that his story is “a cracker”

“A cracker Ryan .....really ....”

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Can't understand why Tommy doesn't push back on some of his points. This young fella seems obsessed with race.

RTÉ agenda.

I really think it's time they retired the late late.. What it has become is almost an insult to what it once was..

Just put us all out of our misery and put on an 80s movie after the news of a Friday night and be done with it..

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

This crap from the media is creating divisions where there once was not. Black this white that, all coming from the usa.

This crap ^ is exactly what was said when people criticised the church. Just because it isn't 'your' experience does not mean it isn't being experienced by somebody else.
    By all means counter what is being said with facts, but don't censor in that way, just because you don't want to listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Tbh I rather see The T. T. Show replace the late late on a Friday night, rather than Tommy take over from Ryan Tubridy. Think the late late has had its day.

It's a great show, but turning it into the Late Late would be terrible. I'm in full agreement with this tweet;

https://twitter.com/KCsixtyseven/status/1350746849515286529

Excellent point, completely agree.

I wouldn’t be TT’s biggest fan of his stand up, he’s okay. However his interview technique is brilliant and I’d like to what he can do with a different format.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I really think it's time they retired the late late.. What it has become is almost an insult to what it once was..

Just put us all out of our misery and put on an 80s movie after the news of a Friday night and be done with it..

I think if RTE finally got their balls together and dropped Tubridy it would have a chance. There is plenty of talent around to do the show.

I cannot see why it could not be a female presenter either.

Advertisement