Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

IAMAMORON wrote: »
    I think if RTE finally got their balls together and dropped Tubridy it would have a chance. There is plenty of talent around to do the show.

I cannot see why it could not be a female presenter either.

Knowing RTÉ I’d imagine that would be a cert.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Knowing RTÉ I’d imagine that would be a cert.

The Late Late show needs a revamp and needs to start getting relevant again.

Tubridy is worse than Pat Spaltt at this stage.

And enough already with this awkward constant woke social appeasement. Just entertain me please, get some decent guests on and start asking them real questions and having the craic.

I am sick of this head nodding brigade of bland chunts, get them off the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

This crap ^ is exactly what was said when people criticised the church. Just because it isn't 'your' experience does not mean it isn't being experienced by somebody else.
    By all means counter what is being said with facts, but don't censor in that way, just because you don't want to listen.

It’s overdone Francie.
    In fact all I’ve seen and heard recently is racism from the other direction but nobody seems to want to question that. Just look at what happened in Blanchardstown recently. Look at any RTÉ report to newspaper reports and there’s no mention of that at all. They close their minds and ears to that.
    If they only report one side of it then it’s unfair reporting.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

It’s overdone Francie.
    In fact all I’ve seen and heard recently is racism from the other direction but nobody seems to want to question that. Just look at what happened in Blanchardstown recently. Look at any RTÉ report to newspaper reports and there’s no mention of that at all. They close their minds and ears to that.
    If they only report one side of it then it’s unfair reporting.

How do we all know what happened in Blanch?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Claire Byrne has to be next in line for Late Late. Woman. Attractive. Articulate. Can do serious and comedy. Ticks all the boxes. Plus she's almost running RTE on her own already.

• Advertisement

Plenty of videos of the crowd kicking the shutters of that shop where the man was assaulted and shouting racist stuff at those who had to be locked inside for their safety. Also of the assaults on the woman and child outside.
    None of that reported on the media though oddly or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

Plenty of videos of the crowd kicking the shutters of that shop where the man was assaulted and shouting racist stuff at those who had to be locked inside for their safety. Also of the assaults on the woman and child outside.

There was no assault on a woman and child that I saw. The video that allegedly showed it, showed no such thing.

How do i know about it then?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

You tell me...

I’d say you do Francie but it’s not company policy to speak of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭RurtBeynolds

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Claire Byrne has to be next in line for Late Late. Woman. Attractive. Articulate. Can do serious and comedy. Ticks all the boxes. Plus she's almost running RTE on her own already.

Oh ffs. She has the personailty of a lampost.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 285 ✭✭Hellokitty1212

Did the videos pass you by?

Don’t give all that rubbish any oxygen here.

Did the videos pass you by?

No, I saw them on the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭redmgar

The show is edited,they reshoot certain parts.
    Its a liberty that live shows dont have.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Legalfarmer89

Fitz* wrote: »
    I actually enjoyed the overall show as a whole. A great mix overall of humour with some deep & topical issues. An eclectic mix overall.

Much better than the misery guts show that's the same template every week on a Friday night. Not afraid to try different things either like this rap at the end. At least they are trying different things as opposed to the same ol same ol every week.

Great post. Hadn’t seen the Tommy Tiernan show in a while but was a great mix, very entertaining. The Late Late, while it has some excellent guest, good ideas and I suppose an enthusiastic host is a bit depressing and overall focuses on hard luck/sad stories.

Love Tommy’s laid back dry humour and draws the best out of the guests. It has a kind of dark humour that a lot of Irish people love. A mad mix(the rappers at the end were up for it but rubbish). Excellent entertainment!

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭LilacNails

Wildsurfer wrote: »

Ah no, politics is her thing, she would be like a robot if she got the gig.

Will Leahy would be fantastic!! Intelligent, seems sound, can take a joke, doesn't come across false or try too hard.... Very likable guy. He would be ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

No, I saw them on the media.

Which media was this?

Which media was this?

Several of the news accounts on my twitter showed them, think Mick CLifford may have been one.

The point isn't about a single incident anyway, it is about people's access to the media.

Repudiate what the guy has to say if you have the facts, but never ever censor somebody because you don't have experience of what they are talking about. We, as a country, have been there and done that. All opinions or none is the way I see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

He had no choice apparently.

No way he is an assistant professor while he hasn't finished a phd. Professorships are highly prestigious, you can have a strong academic career for decades after attaining a phd without being awarded one.

Presumably he used it in the american sense where it is interchangeable with lecturer, and he will be doing the same tutorials and classes every other research postgrad does. I've no doubt he was being duplicitous by his choice of words though, especially when he was boasting about pretending to be akon's cousin.

His interview was just a rant about perceived injustice with zero acknowledgement of the support and opportunity he has been provided here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

grassylawn wrote: »
    He had no choice apparently.

No way he is an assistant professor while he hasn't finished a phd. Professorships are highly prestigious, you can have a strong academic career for decades after attaining a phd without being awarded one.

Presumably he used it in the american sense where it is interchangeable with lecturer, and he will be doing the same tutorials and classes every other research postgrad does.

I think your right there, the use of Professor is different outside of Ireland and the UK. I know quite a few people of different nationalities and a lot of them use Professor for school teachers, college lecturers etc. In Ireland it’s a long road to get the title Professor and some of the most experienced Engineering lecturers some with multiple PHD’s and years of lecturing experience have yet to gain the title Professor, given that law is a tight circle in this country I’d be sure that getting that title would be a lot more difficult. I could be wrong though..

Otherwise, what a great show. I loved Brenda and David’s interviews.

Several of the news accounts on my twitter showed them, think Mick CLifford may have been one.

The point isn't about a single incident anyway, it is about people's access to the media.

Repudiate what the guy has to say if you have the facts, but never ever censor somebody because you don't have experience of what they are talking about. We, as a country, have been there and done that. All opinions or none is the way I see it.

Do you really believe that someone with the opposite view would get airtime?
    Really.
    Nobody wants racism but they do want fair reporting. They’re not getting that.

Anyway this is not the thread for this topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

DeanAustin wrote: »
    There was no assault on a woman and child that I saw. The video that allegedly showed it, showed no such thing.

If this is in reference to what happens to the lady in her 60s and her son at the Petrol Station in Hartstown then it most definitely happened. Regardless of what any video might show.

Anyway not the thread for it.

Enjoyed Brenda. Seems a really normal person. Saw her pottering around the market near the liberties before it shut down. Great stories out of her last night.

Anyway this is not the thread for this topic.

True

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

LilacNails wrote: »
    Watched there on rte +1. Have to say Brenda Flicker was a breath of fresh air. The honesty in how she was feeling so sad and lonely. She's an Oscar winner. U really wouldn't think. Not an ounce of BS or self importance about her.

That kind of honesty is what we need to hear more of from people, not some facade ****e.

Great interview, she should have been given the full show.

Had to turn off asap when the young fella suggested when people ask where are u really from, there really saying your don't belong here. Get over yourself. Too entitled people are becoming.

Would be a good weekly Podcast an hour with Brenda and Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Car99 wrote: »
    Would be a good weekly Podcast an hour with Brenda and Tommy.

He already has a fairly decent podcast on the go.
    https://play.acast.com/s/the-tommy-and-hector-podcast-with-laurita-blewitt

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

As a huge fan of Tommy, watching this tonight I'm fuming.

The only people pushing some black versus white agenda is RTE and this chap and his ilk.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,408 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

What, seriously like???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 irishlad79

that rap song was complete and utter garbage if that's what passes for irish music for today than i'm sorry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

As a huge fan of Tommy, watching this tonight I'm fuming.

The only people pushing some black versus white agenda is RTE and this chap and his ilk.

What exactly is 'his ilk'?

Advertisement