Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭trashcan

NIMAN wrote: »
    Did Tommy get told off?

He tried to claim he didn't ask the "Yeah but where are you really from", when he actually did.

The fella pointed it out to him that he did wrong..

He didn’t actually. He asked, “Where are you from”. It was his guest who said “do you mean originally ?” Anyway, I don’t think it’s inherently racist to ask someone who doesn’t seem to have been born here, judging by his accent, where he came from originally. It’s a bit of a jump from that to saying “you don’t belong here.”

Another thing that irked me slightly is that Bashir seemed to have some issue with our citizenship laws, when he admitted himself, it’s a very liberal regime. He said he didn’t become a citizen until 2016 I think, but we don’t know when he applied. Citizenship is not a right, and you don’t need it to remain in the country once you have permission. There may be delays in the system, but it’s not because we’re a bunch of big old racists.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

What exactly is 'his ilk'?

Race baiters.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

He was on the show because of where he was from, so the question was pertinent. He's the one making hus entire life about being from somewhere outside Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭grassylawn

People scrutinising themselves for vestiges of supposed racism.
    Do you think one race should have supremacy over another, or that one is intrinsically superior? If you don't then you're not racist - no matter how many times you ask someone where they are from or think that a particular black person is an absolute tool.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

irishlad79 wrote: »
    that rap song was complete and utter garbage if that's what passes for irish music for today than i'm sorry

The music is crap on it most weeks to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I think it is an Irish thing to ask 'where are you from'. Often been asked it myself and I'm Irish. they want to know if you are from Cork or wherever.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

saabsaab wrote: »
    I think it is an Irish thing to ask 'where are you from'. Often been asked it myself and I'm Irish. they want to know if you are from Cork or wherever.

It's not just an Irish thing in fairness......and theres absolutely nothing wrong with the question.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

kippy wrote: »
    It's not just an Irish thing in fairness......and theres absolutely nothing wrong with the question.

Until you ask the wrong person that is. I’ve stopped asking.

Anyone got any teasers as to who might be on this week? I doubt it’s filmed live.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭ThewhiteJesus

I can see both sides of the argument on the question, but like most things it's not what is said or asked, but how it's said or asked.
    The guest knew Tommy meant nothing by it, but i have seen people ask the same question in a demeaning way.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I can see both sides of the argument on the question, but like most things it's not what is said or asked, but how it's said or asked.
    The guest knew Tommy meant nothing by it, but i have seen people ask the same question in a demeaning way.

Don't think Tommy was too pleased about being pulled up on it, mind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Until you ask the wrong person that is. I’ve stopped asking.

Anyone got any teasers as to who might be on this week? I doubt it’s filmed live.

I like to know where people associate themselves with. A potential key conversation starter and/or building of rapport with a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Mary Coughlan has an amazing voice

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Mary is very honest and open when talking .

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Mary is very honest and open when talking .

She seems so at peace with herself.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Yeah Mary is coming across very well. Clarity in her tales about her struggles.

I was wondering how she jumped from Jesus to Micháel Martin

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Straight up gal Mary.

I dunno.. Michael does have a messianic something about him at times alright..

That was good. I liked how Tomny interviewed her. It was a tad too short.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

It's a pity she wasn't on longer imo .

• Advertisement

Yeah.. she's lovely.. I've seen her being interviewed a few times but I don't know did it not come across or something in any of the other ones..

Wouldn't be many inter-county hurlers that came out of Iraq :D

No socks.. lurk..

Wouldn't be many inter-county hurlers that came out of Iraq :D

Ah well. Heres one.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Please, I hope this immigrant hasn't got a chip on his shoulder like the guy last week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,895 ✭✭✭gifted

Is that the style in leitrim?...

Please, I hope this immigrant hasn't got a chip on his shoulder like the guy last week

No.. this lad is an actual refugee, so he's just glad to be here..

Feel sorry for them.

After all their troubles, ending up in Leitrim.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Life begins in Leitrim :)

• Advertisement

This dude's a legend..

Advertisement