Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Karlos77 wrote: »
    He's a focking nob

Yes you are Carlos...

Yes you are....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

I agree he's away with the fairies

It’s kinda hard to dispute, considering He said himself that he was away with the fairies during the interview!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Great show tonight watching the last interview now he’s amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Indeed he is, but being that has a positive contribution to make to us all. We today live in a very narrow mindset, even though we pretend to everyone and ourselves that we do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Yes you are Carlos...

Yes you are....

So is your ma

• Advertisement

So is your ma

Stunning

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Love to go on the piss with manchan

The stories he would have heard about his grandmother and The O Rahilly would be worth it alone not to mind the travel experiences.

The stories he would have heard about his grandmother and The O Rahilly would be worth it alone not to mind the travel experiences.

I'm an architectural technician so I'm interested in the building aspect too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Ah, the bauld Tommy. His roughly eight year transition from Man of Substantive Stillness and Quite Reflection, flitering across the wind swept Yeats/ Beckett wannabee world, to land, via Pat Ingoldsby's Ordinary Genius dusty old jacket, to Man Who'll Clean Your Drains for a fair price, has been a truly wonderful thing to witness.
    May God be with him.
    (Preferably drugs)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I think he’s away with the fairies.

Completely detached from reality.

He’s not causing anyone harm and is completely entitled to live his life as he chooses.

I also think that I’m completely entitled to the opinion that he’s away with the fairies.

I never ceases to amaze me how quickly people to go straight to outrage in this day and age because somebody has an opinion they don’t agree with.

The only one being intolerant here is your good self.
    Not what you originally said, which was this:
    Who’s this west Brit crusty hipster?

Immediately outraged and intolerant? = check.

Own it Lar.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 596 ✭✭✭nsnoefc1878

Do you know how many people can’t change a lightbulb?

Imagine them living in a strawbale house that needs rebuilding every so often.

Property has evolved for a reason, the only thing admirable about his ‘house’ is the pittance it cost.

You completely missed the point. Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,569 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Enjoyed tonights show, Manchán Magan story of his trip to Africa was interesting, doing a similar trip now you have your phone to be able to contact anyone at any time, your Revolut card to make transactions anywhere, money transfers possible in 60 minutes if you lose the lot, etc, little or no adventurer status needed now for similar trips. I'd love to do Dublin to Magadan as a road trip some summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭qwerty13

Tommy really missed his calling as a therapist.

Perhaps that because he has been for therapy. No judgey stuff here. I just felt watching tonight that several of the guests had either a current or past ‘broken’ quality to them. And I remember watching a tv show of TT years ago where I felt he was manic.

I don’t know if Tommy had issues that needed therapy, but whatever happened between that tv years ago and now, he seems far calmer and happier, and good for him. Maybe I’m reaching, but I suspect that TT had a hard time coming to terms with himself, and that that makes him an excellent interviewer

I don't think so..I think he's just honest..That's pretty much what a conversation is supposed to be..An honest communication between two souls.. He's not trying to come across as cool or successful or whatever, he's not trying to project an image.. he's just honestly listening to what the other person is saying and reacting to that..

It comes across as so amazing because it's so rare these days..

Not what you originally said, which was this:

Immediately outraged and intolerant? = check.

Own it Lar.

It might seem strange but my opinion of him changed from the first impression of him being a crusty hipster because of his clothing made from hemp, and his private school west brit accent to then establishing that he is completely away with the fairies because of his constant mentioning of spending time in other realms.

How conceited does someone have to be that they shoehorn mention of their expensive private education into every conversation? Not that it’s done him any good.

So no outrage here, just calling it like it is.

But you keep up your intolerance because someone’s doesn’t have the same outlook on your hero.

It might seem strange but my opinion of him changed from the first impression of him being a crusty hipster because of his clothing made from hemp, and his private school west brit accent to then establishing that he is completely away with the fairies because of his constant mentioning of spending time in other realms.

How conceited does someone have to be that they shoehorn mention of their expensive private education into every conversation? Not that it’s done him any good.

But you keep up your intolerance because someone’s doesn’t have the same outlook on your hero.

No intolerance here Lar, just calling you out on what you initially said...glad your opinion changed....show doing it's job, I would say.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,421 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Maybe it's simply TT has a public comedic persona, which is a thing a good few comedians have? In ordinary life, they can be quite different. No doubt age and experiences have shaped TT's interviewing style too.

He mentioned gonzaga as a negative experience, thus reaffirming money isn’t everything and you can’t give everyone the same education

He mentioned gonzaga as a negative experience, thus reaffirming money isn’t everything and you can’t give everyone the same education

I think what is interesting about Manchan is that he forged a sustainable life and lifestyle on his own terms (or as much on his own terms as he could).

That annoys many people I find, we would have a few here, as I am sure most communities do, who have done the same.
    It's a lifestyle and life that isn't for me but I find his journey fascinating.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

He was very interesting. One question I have is how did he manage regarding the planning laws.

• Advertisement

No intolerance here Lar, just calling you out on what you initially said...glad your opinion changed....show doing it's job, I would say.

It sure did change, at first I reckoned he was just a hipster west brit, by the end I was sure he was a tree hugging west brit that’s completely detached from reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It sure did change, at first I reckoned he was just a hipster west brit, by the end I was sure he was a tree hugging west brit that’s completely detached from reality.

Where are you getting this "West Brit" narrative that you are attaching to Manchan Magan ?

elperello wrote: »
    Where are you getting this "West Brit" narrative that you are attaching to Manchan Magan ?

From his west brit accent, which is all the more surprising considering he is from some armpit near the midlands.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,978 ✭✭✭✭elperello

From his west brit accent, which is all the more surprising considering he is from some armpit near the midlands.

So based on his accent you are casting a slur on someone you clearly know nothing about.

He's from Dublin by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

I reckon he's more 'Irish' than you'll ever be pal.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

I'm an architectural technician so I'm interested in the building aspect too

On his website he has pictures and an article on both the original and more recent house. Fascinating. Judging by the first build it looked like he was very much roughing it.

http://www.manchan.com/straw-bale

jmlad2020 wrote: »
    I reckon he's more 'Irish' than you'll ever be pal.

I’m not Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Never been a fan of Baz but enjoyed that interview. Not there to promote good show and TT playing the therapist role superbly.

Manchan Magan would make me want to learn Irish again. His enthusiasm for the language and his way of explaining it's connection to the land and history is far more appealing than any of the celeb gaelgoirs that are knocking about.

Never been a fan of Baz but enjoyed that interview. Not there to promote good show and TT playing the therapist role superbly.

Manchan Magan would make me want to learn Irish again. His enthusiasm for the language and his way of explaining it's connection to the land and history is far more appealing than any of the celeb gaelgoirs that are knocking about.

Fascinating to hear the Irish we learned in a school was essentially English in Irish and true Irish is a far more ancient interesting subject

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Alicano

elperello wrote: »
    Funny old business the music business.

Guy gets a few gigs and people like it so then he gets on TV.

Suddenly everyone is a music critic.

Jinx is going 20+ odd years. Remember him when I was a teen in Eamon Dorans playing daytime gigs. And he was as ****e then as he is now :D.
    Somebody must love him if he's getting a national TV gig.
    The RTE staffer who books the music has a real fondness for muck. Trying too hard to be alternative.
    Anyway. Once someone likes it. I have yet to last 15 seconds into any music act they've had on :)

Advertisement