Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

True and I'm a big "Tommy" fan myself.
    But it's only fair to realise that Tommy's show is prerecorded and heavily edited.
    A lot of soccer games, are better on "Match of the Day" than "live". :D

they should just put the LLS out of its misery

Turdity is horrific but so is the format

TTS <> LLS

guests agree to come on, and only after you agree not to ask about the interesting stuff..Remember nobody asked Hugh grant what he was up to cruising around for saucy ladies of the night, they were not allowed...Then Michael parkinson agreed but on thenight asked him anyway, and it made for funny TV.
    Grant was so much the better for it too...

Rainbow Ryan lives to be loved.. and when he's not..he quits twitter..He'll only listen to the praise of the yes men...who go fetch the emperors new clothes!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

rusty cole wrote: »
    guests agree to come on, and only after you agree not to ask about the interesting stuff..Remember nobody asked Hugh grant what he was up to cruising around for saucy ladies of the night, they were not allowed...Then Michael parkinson agreed but on thenight asked him anyway, and it made for funny TV.
    Grant was so much the better for it too...

Rainbow Ryan lives to be loved.. and when he's not..he quits twitter..He'll only listen to the praise of the yes men...who go fetch the emperors new clothes!

Can't say I blame him some terrible nasty stuff said about him.

Im not on twitter so wouldnt know but i can imagine alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,976 ✭✭✭✭elperello

saabsaab wrote: »
    Can't say I blame him some terrible nasty stuff said about him.
    rusty cole wrote: »
    Im not on twitter so wouldnt know but i can imagine alright.

Twitter is the place where the unreasonable go to seek validity.

Anyone, never mind those with a public profile, would be well advised to steer clear.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

True and I'm a big "Tommy" fan myself.
    But it's only fair to realise that Tommy's show is prerecorded and heavily edited.
    A lot of soccer games, are better on "Match of the Day" than "live". :D

I have to say as someone who has been to three live recordings that simply isn't true. They redo a few bits throughout the night like the intros and pick-ups from a break but I would go as far to say of the 9 guests I saw 95% of it came across pretty much as is with only a couple of bits edited it out here and there for pacing and certainly not to make Tiernan look better.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

Haven't watched the Tommy Tiernan shows but have read and heard a lot of positive commentary about them.
    There's a skill in being a listener. Maybe that is what works for him. It takes courage / a bit of devil may care, to let someone say what they will, on a chat show.

Picture Tubridy with the by now infamous Pee Flynn interview on the LLS. It would never have happened.

I don't watch the LLS, I just can't. But I did see a classic example of Tubridy's lack of empathy and skill some years ago when he interviewed Dolores Keane. She said she had just been told she was clear of cancer, having been through a lot of treatment. Anyone with normal reactions would surely say that's brilliant, or something. Nope, not Tubridy, it wasn't written on the cue card.

But he is the one being paid an outrageous salary by RTÉ... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

ziedth wrote: »
    I have to say as someone who has been to three live recordings that simply isn't true. They redo a few bits throughout the night like the intros and pick-ups from a break but I would go as far to say of the 9 guests I saw 95% of it came across pretty much as is with only a couple of bits edited it out here and there for pacing and certainly not to make Tiernan look better.

I was only going by what Tommy said, sure what would he know ?

"We record for a long time and there are extra bits. For example, say my interview with Bob Geldof, we recorded that for over an hour and we edited it down for about 25 minutes"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

"We record for a long time and there are extra bits. For example, say my interview with Bob Geldof, we recorded that for over an hour and we edited it down for about 25 minutes"

I think that's why Tommy may not be a good host on live tv. Could possible say the same about Graham Norton.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

I can't really comment on that one as I wasn't there and while I do like the show and enjoy his stand up I'm not some fan jumping to his defence. If I had noted heavy editing (or any kind of editing) that made his style more natural looking or took away from the genuinely impressive format of the show I would be the first to say it. For example the time yea man from the Rubber bandits was there they had to re-shoot the entrance cause there was something with the sound so his reaction on TV wasn't genuine. However, I'll just make the point again that it would i feel be unfair on him for people to think that these interviews are cut together to make him look better.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 149 ✭✭BiggJim

I was disappointed there were no african-irish on tonight lecturing me about how we're all racist.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,065 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

BiggJim wrote: »
    I was disappointed there were no african-irish on tonight lecturing me about how we're all racist.

Cause the show is on tomorrow

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

BiggJim wrote: »

Were you disappointed all the other weeks (except one) that there was no African Irish on?

https://www.rte.ie/player/series/the-tommy-tiernan-show/SI0000001918?epguid=IP000066611

Marian Keyes. Gawd :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

She looks well for 57.

I always thought she talked too much but shur will listen to her again, without bias.

'Do you feel you still treat your life as an event'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I love Marian Keyes

'Would you say that fear has impacted your adult life Marian? You mention neuroses being yours but I wonder where they came from'

Go for it Tommy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

Some shade of green on Tommy.

Real Darby O'Gill stuff.

Has she had a nose job or what's the story with her nose?..

She seems nice though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

Love her books. She is a brilliant writer

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Or there brainwashing for the church.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,049 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

K
    Has she had a nose job or what's the story with her nose?..

She seems nice though..

She looks great for a 58year old woman

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I love Tommy. He's great.

AMKC wrote: »
    She looks great fir a 58year old woman

Yeah, ah she does alright..her nose is weird though..

She seems lovely though..

• Registered Users Posts: 21,915 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Brutally honest , both Tommy and Marion .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Marian Keyes. Gawd :(

I thought precisely the same, but maybe that's Tommy's skill. He seems to make it OK.
    If she had been on the Late Late, I would have changed channel ages ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Brutally honest , both Tommy and Marion .

That was so powerful wasn’t it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭Cody montana

She speaks to me.
    Interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,693 ✭✭✭Lisha

Can’t wait it see this later. I love Marian Keyes. She is delightful.

Advertisement