Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Arduach wrote: »
    It's knocked on my door more than most. Trust me.

But it's all about balance. Our light entertainment has become totally skewed in favour of morbid dissection of people's troubles. Yes it shouldn't be hidden, but our entertainment has gone too far the other way.

Cheap digs about someone’s jawline are not entertainment.

Talking in general on the comments here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Catching up on plus one.

That interview with Gerry the zookeeper was genuinely fascinating. Never seen Tommy laugh so much at a guest's stories. What a childhood he had. Best friends with an orangutan :D

I agree with his thoughts on the zoo culture too- it's not like ALL elephants currently living are in captivity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

anewme wrote: »
    Cheap digs about someone’s jawline are not entertainment.

Talking in general on the comments here.

A square jaw line is a compliment for a male usually.

Posters will post loose comments when they have a sense of deja vu with the overall content.

A square jaw line is a compliment for a male usually.

Posters will post loose comments when they have a sense of deja vu with the overall content.

No compliments here, only negative feedback.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Arduach

No compliments here, only sneering.

With respect, i don't agree. A story overtold has lost meaning, that's all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

saabsaab wrote: »
    Tommy isn't bad at all but I'd still prefer Tubs.

For the love of God.

Tiernan really struggled to come with any questions for the last chap.

With respect, i don't agree. A story overtold has lost meaning, that's all.

No need for the looks comments here!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

PsychoPete wrote: »
    I like my rap the old fashioned way, songs about Compton,smackin' hoes and gats

Yeah I agree.

Find the Irish rap scene gas. Singing about growing up in a country that is, by and large, good to live in. Even for those "at the wrong side of the tracks" so to speak, with the generous welfare system and lenient courts.

These Irish rap snowflakes wouldn't last five minutes in an actual ghetto.

No need for the looks comments here!

to be honest they should have just cut that whole interview from the final guest out.

it was pointless and went nowhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭completedit

Yeah I agree.

Find the Irish rap scene gas. Singing about growing up in a country that is, by and large, good to live in. Even for those "at the wrong side of the tracks" so to speak, with the generous welfare system and lenient courts.

Yeah, hard to take seriously. But then, there's other struggles to growing up in such a society. But I think the artists need to probe their souls and minds further for inspiration. What they feel is real, but abject poverty and a lack of opportunity isn't it; I mean we are like routine top 10 in UN's HDI. In reality, the issues are more like alienation and meaningless in a society where everything is relative; the poverty angle is just what they're conditioned to think it is through the consumption of other artist from places where those issues do permeate.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

glasso wrote: »
    Tiernan really struggled to come with any questions for the last chap.

I think that made it better , sometimes less is more .

sharkman wrote: »

what?

it was more awkward than anything else and nothing was unique about it being honest.

the guy staring off into space in silence for a fair proportion of the interview didn't really add anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

I think the show is starting to attract the odd attention seeker who wants their moment to "open up". Nothing spur of the moment where a guest "goes there" without thinking, showing real vulnerability.

When you go on the show with that as your intention it loses a little something for me. Would usually be the immature younger guests who want to show they can have a sensitive side.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Blanco100 wrote: »
    I think the show is starting to attract the odd attention seeker who wants their moment to "open up". Nothing spur of the moment where a guest "goes there" without thinking, showing real vulnerability.

When you go on the show with that as your intention it loses a little something for me. Would usually be the immature younger guests who want to show they can have a sensitive side.
    Balfe's album that comes out in two months is literally about the death of his friend. He's hardly going to just dance around that topic when promoting said album. Dunno how that's seen as attention seeking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Are there any happy, joyful people left in the world who could be interviewed during this less than joyful time..

They're too busy posting "funny" comments on Boards.ie.

Marian Keyes was a bad start as you couldn’t like her if you reared her, but at least this week on the whole went back away from the Hello magazine crew and we hadn’t an O’Driscoll type again.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Yeah I agree.

You know nothing about music or rap then if your takeaway from it is Compton.

Now that's gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

I'd classify his music more as spoken word rather than rap.

Then again the uneducated posters on this thread here someone speak in a song and chalk it down immediately as rap.

The comments on his appearance are shameful. Would you lot say these things to his face? There is a person with feelings behind all of this. I'm sure the rest of you hiding behind your screens are objects of human perfection.

If you give some time you'll find that Balfes music is one of the first to tackle the issues we have in Ireland with lack of supports for those with mental health issues, wealth inequality and toxic masculinity. Come back in a couple of years and I can guarantee he will have worldwide recognition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,892 ✭✭✭Rfrip

Then again the uneducated posters on this thread here someone speak in a song and chalk it down immediately as rap.

The comments on his appearance are shameful. Would you lot say these things to his face? There is a person with feelings behind all of this. I'm sure the rest of you hiding behind your screens are objects of human perfection.

If you give some time you'll find that Balfes music is one of the first to tackle the issues we have in Ireland with lack of supports for those with mental health issues, wealth inequality and toxic masculinity. Come back in a couple of years and I can guarantee he will have worldwide recognition.

His performance on Jools Holland was incredible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

Gerry from the zoo was the best guest. Very passionate about his work, but accepted that there are issues with Zoos. He's a talker though.......

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

saabsaab wrote: »
    Tommy isn't bad at all but I'd still prefer Tubs.

No you don’t

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭alwayswright

Rfrip wrote: »
    His performance on Jools Holland was incredible

As was his Other Voices set. Really moving stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

glasso wrote: »
    to be honest they should have just cut that whole interview from the final guest out.

it was pointless and went nowhere.

I have to agree with you. Didn't past seasons have 4 guests per episode with shorter interviews. That would have helped the last interview - made it more punchy and on track. But I do prefer the longer interviews with the right guests.
    sharkman wrote: »

It was too fluid. All over the shop. Tiernan struggled to keep up like the rest of us.

Absolutely no disrespect to the chap but I took the opportunity of going for a shower and left that interview I’ll watch it again maybe

• Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

IWT I have a wide range and am interested in most guests and see what they bring. Found the last lad tough going and I think Tommy did too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Some of the comments on here about Dave Balfe are not short of poison. Grow the f up people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

I didn't enjoy the interview. Sometimes these things don't work. Really like the song though. I remember him from Jools Holland and he gave a great performance on that too.

Cazale wrote: »
    I didn't enjoy the interview. Sometimes these things don't work. Really like the song though. I remember him from Jools Holland and he gave a great performance on that too.

That’s it , can’t be great all the time especially when you’re honest , other guests have handlers and a script

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

Reminds me of Scroobius Pip .

Advertisement