Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,541 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Leftwaffe wrote: »
    The parents went to his restaurant before and he came out and had a good chat with them. Supposed to be a sound fella.

When you said came out there I took it up the wrong way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,441 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Granadino wrote: »
    Mike Scott isn’t obscure. He’s not in the public eye these days but The Waterboys were far from obscure.

I wasn’t referring to Mike Scott! I was talking about the guy who actually “sang” and I said I’d prefer if he’d just asked Mike Scott to sing instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Fitz* wrote: »
    What a horrible pr1ck that lad with the text. Poor girl.

I love how he didn't have the balls to say it to her face after the date.

What a coward.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭Cetyl Palmitate

Brilliant show all around. Got great depth from the opening interview. Worked his way in to a few new edges of a familiar TV personality in the second. Managed the third well, allowing him freedom and time to explain a very well lived life.
    I enjoyed the farce of David o doherty at the end while fully accepting how others see it as ****e!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭fluke

Decent,but yeah the Dave O Doherty thing was twee-painful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

The one thing that Tommy does do that really annoys me is the (Welcome to the third half) bit. Obviously his mother never thought him there is no such thing. He should either just say welcome to the third part or say nothing at all the third half is just stupid

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

AMKC wrote: »
    The one thing that Tommy does do that really annoys me is the (Welcome to the third half) bit. Obviously his mother never thought him there is no such thing. He should either just say welcome to the third part or say nothing at all the third half is just stupid

yeah, that's the joke.....

And the word you're looking for is taught, not thought which is kinda ironic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Marmo1986

That first guest was annoying, defensive from the start. Didn’t make it easy for Tommy, not sure why she mentioned she wasn’t a fan of him years ago.

Inspirational on paper and has obviously achieved a lot but didn’t motivate people watching, expected some life out of her. Pity, could have been a great interview

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Watched it one plus one as was watching the rugby. Excellent as usual I thought in terms of guests. I liked the Sinead Kane interview in particular. She was very defensive at the start but in all honesty after 20 minutes they really seemed to connect. A session with the last guy would be an experience.

However...the final act... wtf.

Brilliant show all around. Got great depth from the opening interview. Worked his way in to a few new edges of a familiar TV personality in the second. Managed the third well, allowing him freedom and time to explain a very well lived life.
    I enjoyed the farce of David o doherty at the end while fully accepting how others see it as ****e!

O'Doherty was great back in about 2007 but his shtick has gotten pretty old now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Never ever heard of someone being bullied for being blind. And I went to a school where it was rife (bullying) and where there were a few blind kids.

Might be going to hell for saying it but have my doubts about some of her stories of woe. Even the text the lad on the date sent seemed on the extreme end of the scale.

Possible she was bullied but it had nowt to do with her blindness. Maybe she herself puts it down to blindness when there were other reasons.

Some things just didn't add up, only half way through the date her man had to be told she was visually impaired?

And without being cruel, she spotted an old school bully in town one day who passed her without a word of apology, how did she even know it was her if she could not make out faces?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Solli

dobman88 wrote: »
    yeah, that's the joke.....

And the word you're looking for is taught, not thought which is kinda ironic.

How about “does do”

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Marmo1986

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Never ever heard of someone being bullied for being blind. And I went to a school where it was rife (bullying) and where there were a few blind kids.

Might be going to hell for saying it but have my doubts about some of her stories of woe. Even the text the lad on the date sent seemed on the extreme end of the scale.

Possible she was bullied but it had nowt to do with her blindness. Maybe she herself puts it down to blindness when there were other reasons.

Some things just didn't add up, only half way through the date her man had to be told she was visually impaired?

And without being cruel, she spotted an old school bully in town one day who passed her without a word of apology, how did she even know it was her if she could not make out faces?

I agree with all of the above, i thought the dating story was exaggerated. Possibly not true at all.

A lot of things didn’t add up, extremely awkward interview. She seemed quite angry and unhappy, if I was reading about her I’d find her inspirational but her body language was off. Ya i didn’t believe the old friend story either

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Yeah, she was probably just asking to be bullied really.

Pretty much everyone who dates will tell you any amount of horror stories and experiences in person and online from both genders, it often brings out the worst in people.

Her blindness may not have been the primary reason for being bullied but yet she was. And bullies never apologize.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Yeah, she was probably just asking to be bullied really.

It's one person's story though. Very possible she was bullied.

I think everyone knows people from school that if you looked at them they would scream it's bullying.

I remember one lad who went so far out of his way to stand out. When nobody acknowledged how eccentric he was (literally treated him like everyone else) it used to drive him mad. He had a stutter, but it was he himself who had biggest chip on his shoulder about it and convinced himself even teachers were bullying him.

One person's own inability to deal with their perceived disability can sometimes result in an irrational sensitivity to lots of things. She did seem to be extremely unhappy and always looking to prove herself, not even slightly at ease. It was very sad, wish Tommy had explored her statement that her parents just told her to get on with it. She needed more guidance in her world than that

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

I think everyone knows people from school that if you looked at them they would scream it's bullying.

I remember one lad who went so far out of his way to stand out. When nobody acknowledged how eccentric he was (literally treated him like everyone else) it used to drive him mad. He had a stutter, but it was he himself who had biggest chip on his shoulder about it and convinced himself even teachers were bullying him.

One person's own inability to deal with their perceived disability can sometimes result in an irrational sensitivity to lots of things. She did seem to be extremely unhappy and always looking to prove herself, not even slightly at ease. It was very sad, wish Tommy had explored her statement that her parents just told her to get on with it. She needed more guidance in her world than that

In fairness she said the bullies game was the first to draw blood wins. Didnt seem that she was just blaming the blindness and imagining it. It was actual physical bullying.

I agree her parents should have given her more guidance but they probably told her what they'd done for a lifetime and just got on with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

5% vision isn't a perceived disability. It is a very real disability. At a guess, someone who got a doctorate on bullying issues has probably explored these issues in considerable depth.

So what if she was different or sensitive. She STILL doesn't deserve to be bullied.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Wearing of The Green

Can't believe posters never heard of mike Scott and the Waterboys. I'm getting old. My two favourite songs are Bang on the Ear and The Glastonbury Song.

Funniest moment reading back over the thread was AKMC posting he/she never heard of Nevin Maguire. Then proceeded to thank a post which said RTE has made this guy Ireland's number 1 chef:D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 158 ✭✭Zebrag

You know what I thought the exact same thing when she mentioned the said bully walking by after telling Tommy she can only make out figures and not features and appearances. At first I was welling up and felt desperately sorry for her then she mentioned a couple of things and had me questioning.

The dating story she told sounded heartbreaking but again, surely someone can't be THAT hurtful and blunt to say that they are looking for a wife to have children with no disabilities??? And she had to tell the date she is blind? Would the cane not give it away? Either the date in question was genuinly the most heartless person I've heard about or its a little story she wanted to give out to hide the fact that she herself might be terrified of having children that could potentially pick up the hereditary blindness (although that's not a huge deal either as let's face it, they've so much gadgets and help out there for the blind and partually blind that I'm amaze at)

Although I do belive what her parents logic in not allowing her to feel any differently about being blind. I am deaf myself and my family have never treated me or allowed me to be treated any differently so what I gathered was, her parents pretty much told her she's blind and that's that. She's still capible of being able to physically go out and about and do things and she's proven that with her marathons which I applaud her over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

If you have been affected by that song...

Just watched the show now, good show, and yes I have been affected.

I have talked some ****e in my time and I have listened to some ****e, but that can never be unheard.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

Very posh this fellow. I would say Tommy knows all about it too. 9 course meal ffs.
    Nope. I doubt he makes his own meals in his own house or washes up his dishes either. He was very posh and is very posh I would say.

What is your definition of "posh"?

Good show last night. Like Tommy’s interview style. You can see guests want to tell their story. Anyone agreeing to appear on the show must know that they could be asked anything. Hope RTE don’t cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Lad GAGA

Really enjoyed last nights show, looking forward to seeing him running a marathon as her guide

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

The one thing I wondered about was the parents telling her to get on with it when she discovered she was blind at four. I couldn't believe parents would say that. I found it very sad.

As you say Tommy could have explored that more.

fluke wrote: »
    Decent,but yeah the Dave O Doherty thing was twee-painful

I'm not a fan of his so it probably affects my opinion of that act- I thought it was a bit arty-farty - maybe if it was done by some unknown I might have appreciated it a bit more

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭gerbilgranny

AllForIt wrote: »
    I quite like this show, it's rather unique, but I'm not sure if it should have Saturday night billing.

It's the only time of the week that I tune into RTE, because it's the best programme they offer. (And I watch rather a lot of television - mainly Channel 4 at this stage).

90% of my tv watching is rte and as far as I can see you’re correct, it is the best thing on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

No harm to Tommy but I don't think that a comedian would be the best fit for the LL.

• Advertisement

saabsaab wrote: »
    No harm to Tommy but I don't think that a comedian would be the best fit for the LL.

The LL wouldn’t be the best fit for him either. Unless he was getting more money than he could refuse then I couldn’t see him doing the mundane scripts and book promotion etc that the LL requires.

Advertisement