Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

Big fan of TT but can't see him being offered the late late. Is Tubs not the blue eyed boy in Montrose and doubt he'll be going anywhere soon unless a cost cutting exercise. I actually like Ryan but Friday nights are getting tedious.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭MIKEKC

Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Really enjoyed last nights show, looking forward to seeing him running a marathon as her guide[/QUOTE
    Surprised she asked him to run a marathon. Put him in an embarrassing position. How could he refuse?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Tommy must be fierce fit. All the way from Cork to Galway, more than a Marathon. Perhaps he could drop in and out with others taking over for stretches.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 92 ✭✭Wearing of The Green

saabsaab wrote: »
    No harm to Tommy but I don't think that a comedian would be the best fit for the LL.

Might be better than a misery merchant, like we have.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

O'Doherty was great back in about 2007 but his shtick has gotten pretty old now.

He seems like a nice enough fella but I never found him remotely funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭AngryLoner

MIKEKC wrote: »
    Lad GAGA wrote: »
    Really enjoyed last nights show, looking forward to seeing him running a marathon as her guide[/QUOTE
    Surprised she asked him to run a marathon. Put him in an embarrassing position. How could he refuse?

Yeah, its kind of ironic: she was trying to bully him into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

AngryLoner wrote: »
    Yeah, its kind of ironic: she was trying to bully him into it.

I didn't think it was that hardcore, to me it felt like a throwaway phrase that she was expecting him to laugh off and say no no. An interesting one now that he hasn't, it has all the makings of a RTEs next big documentary.

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

JoeA3 wrote: »
    I wasn’t referring to Mike Scott! I was talking about the guy who actually “sang” and I said I’d prefer if he’d just asked Mike Scott to sing instead.

Apologies!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Mike Scott has the swagger , sadly with their earnings killed by streaming/down loads we won’t see their like in the future

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I found the blind running woman quite annoying.... she came out and was straight into self promotion, a typical "motivational speaker".

There seems to be more people on for self promotion recently, the guy from Dublin zoo also.... loves the smell of his own farts I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Fine Cheers

mloc123 wrote: »
    I found the blind running woman quite annoying.... she came out and was straight into self promotion, a typical "motivational speaker".

There seems to be more people on for self promotion recently, the guy from Dublin zoo also.... loves the smell of his own farts I'd say.

:D:D:D harsh on the running lady, spot on re the zoo chap ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

DIY KING wrote: »

It's kinda true though. Same for Zoo Guy. She hit Tommy pretty hard right from the off with the facts of her life and what she has accomplished to date because she obviously didn't particularly like him at the start owning to jokes he's made in the past about people with disabilities and clearly wanted to prove a point.

Once she realized that he is actually fairly sound, she started letting her guard down and they became best pals at the end. Often as what happens in life.

And really, that's why the show is so popular; guests feel like they can open up simply because they feel comfortable doing so in his presence and Tommy, to my surprise, is an excellent listener and has gone from a comic long past his best, lets be honest here, to nearly essential viewing of a Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Serious kudos to Mike Waterboy for shutting down the catholic prod thing fairly sharply , the more tiresome Irish comedy topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭deisedude

I think the show works better without the crowd.

Seems more intimate and guests nearly forget the camera is there, people willing to open up more without a few hundred people staring at them from the crowd

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

DIY KING wrote: »

Nothing personal against her, I just do not like these professional motivational speakers. They are all carbon copies of each other... You need to have some of the following on your CV

-Climb Everest
    -7 marathons on 7 continents
    -Marathon des sables

If you can throw in some obscure Guinness world record, even better.

The thing is... Money is the main blocker for most of these events. The hardest part of the 7 marathons on 7 continents is paying the 40 thousand euro entry cost... But, you will be officially qualified as a motivational speaker afterwards :) They are vanity events.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,541 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I'm guessing Tubs might have pushed him to beat off the competition.

Tommy Tiernan ‘fell all the way down the stairs’ at his home last weekend

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40251470.html?fbclid=IwAR2griqUlJAKtQahozOUeSkYr5ZWeR4YYmTbojZarN4Bu6PTWHb8k2DMODo

https://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/people/arid-40251470.html?fbclid=IwAR2griqUlJAKtQahozOUeSkYr5ZWeR4YYmTbojZarN4Bu6PTWHb8k2DMODo

When I read or hear about someone falling down the stairs, especially with a drink in their hands, it concerns me a little.

I hope not, but I can't help thinking someone is not coping behind the scenes.

When I read or hear about someone falling down the stairs, especially with a drink in their hands, it concerns me a little.

I hope not, but I can't help thinking someone is not coping behind the scenes.

Oh the old deeeeeeeemon drink.
    I think you’re extremely wide of the mark having listened to his own account of it happening. Extremely dangerous and careless accusation to make about someone.

Oh the old deeeeeeeemon drink.
    I think you’re extremely wide of the mark having listened to his own account of it happening. Extremely dangerous and careless accusation to make about someone.

It's not accusation. I just don't like to hear of people falling down stairs, and especially with a drink in their hand.

It happened to a cousin of mine, was hush hushed as an accident but it emerged she was suffering from acute depression, a friend had died a few months previously and she'd taken a fair bit of drink. I like Tommy Tiernan, but a week or two ago he mentioned he was barely clinging on, or words to that effect. I know he suffers from depression, like many comedians. There's no harm in me being concerned.

On the other hand you turned concern into an 'accusation' and fished for all the thanks you could. Congratulations! Hope such trivial things make you feel better about yourself.

As for your deeeeeeeemon drink, it can just as easily be benzos or other substances. You shouldn't fall down the stairs if your reactions are sharp, you tend to grab a banister or stair rail.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 119 ✭✭Shelby Foote

That's a bit worrying tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

That's a bit worrying tbh.

My wife listens to his podcast. According to her, Tommy said he gets through a bottle of whiskey every 2-3 nights.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Is tonight the last of the season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

Is tonight the last of the season?

Final episode is 17th April.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,493 ✭✭✭dobman88

Had a drink last night upstairs while the missus was on a zoom for drinks with her friends downstairs. Better be careful now I'm not suffering with depression or alcoholism :rolleyes:

dobman88 wrote: »
    Had a drink last night upstairs while the missus was on a zoom for drinks with her friends downstairs. Better be careful now I'm not suffering with depression or alcoholism :rolleyes:

Did you fall down the stairs :D

Did you fall down the stairs :D

Not last night :pac:

Has been done before when I lost my footing. Sober and drunk.

dobman88 wrote: »
    Not last night :pac:

Has been done before when I lost my footing. Sober and drunk.

A bit of an aside. I was watching a documentary on Victorian homes, the amount of accidental falls on stairs was unreal. Basically the step size was way too small. They introduced a minimum step width.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Every day feels the same the last few months in lockdown so sitting down on a Saturday night having a few drinks watching Tommy is one of the few things that helps me feel like it actually is the weekend.

Will enjoy a few drinks watching him again now tonight.

Fitz* wrote: »
    Every day feels the same the last few months in lockdown so sitting down on a Saturday night having a few drinks watching Tommy is one of the few things that helps me feel like it actually is the weekend.

Will enjoy a few drinks watching him again now tonight.

100%. I even.bought a brand new bottle of whiskey today to enjoy while hes on.

Better watch it downstairs though, just in case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Disappointing start with the rte staffer wheeled out.

Advertisement