Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

As long as they don't start dropping in RTE personalities to plug their shows or people flogging books I'll keep watching it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I enjoyed tonights show. Its the guests that make it, Michael Healey Ray, sexologist (her phone will be hopping after that interview) and Michael Hardy was great.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,241 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Yes thought it was decent tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭Comhrá

I enjoyed it tonight but I thought Michael Harding's description of depression was a bit overly romantic and fuzzy - almost as if it isn't a major illness. He made it sound like it was merely a sort of mind-set that people can emerge from, somehow enriched and better for the experience.

The reality is that it can be a severe illness needing expert clinical treatment including hospitalisation and medication and ongoing aftercare.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

I must say, his brother may be a source of ridicule, but Michael Healy Rae is a sound man. And seems to be genuinely in the political game for the good of his constituency. That story he told of the strain the financial crisis has wreaked on normal folks was saddening and infuriating at the same time.

Tommy's reaction to his story about the constituents subsequent suicide (head bowed into his hands) showed a level of engagement in an interview that no-one else in RTE can match.

Even how he blended humour with probing questions with the sexologist was a level above his peers.

Good show tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Tonight was much better than last week. I'm not a huge fan of MHR but I warmed a bit, just a little bit, to him tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Was a bit underwhelmed by last week's episode, but thought tonight's was back on form again and it was very enjoyable.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭Ralf and Florian

Enjoyed last nights show. They have to change that cheap looking animated opening sequence with cut outs of Tommy though, it's rubbish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I'd say the sexologist's phone was hopping all day. She left a lot out there... Might call myself lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Michael Harding is a really amazing guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

Michael Harding is a really amazing guy.

He does really seem to be a very interesting guy, I think Tommy needed to probe him a little with his view on depression, or maybe he did but they edited it out but other than that yeah the guy really does talk a lot of sense.
    I can see what he means about depression, but I think it deserved a little more teasing out. Tommy seemed a little in awe of him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I wasn't aware that the Kerry man was a real politician, I thought he was a comic pretending to be a politician thought I suppose people view our northern politicians in the same light.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Comhra wrote: »
    I enjoyed it tonight but I thought Michael Harding's description of depression was a bit overly romantic and fuzzy - almost as if it isn't a major illness. He made it sound like it was merely a sort of mind-set that people can emerge from, somehow enriched and better for the experience.

The reality is that it can be a severe illness needing expert clinical treatment including hospitalisation and medication and ongoing aftercare.
    The whole Gentle Country Humble Man of Wisdom thingy is a bit tough to take with Harding.

Yes, others such as M Scott Peck (and some Buddhist thinking) suggest depression or suffering is a state of being which alerts you that change is required.

But Clinical Depression and it's offspring aint no moment of enlightenment. I'm sure Harding knows this, but was caught up in one of his 'moments of gentle unexpected insights of unassuming country man wisdom'

He seems genuine enough, but, well, hard to take.

Tommy's 'return' to Catholicism is a touch rich as well. The problem I have with his definition of Catholicism as expressed on the LLS, (and indirectly Harding's similar def) is that's it's 100% inaccurate.
    Tomm'y 'Catholicism' is picking off the buffet tray, a la carte Catholicism.
    But that aint Catholicism. Not by a long shot.

I'd prefer if he called it 'My buzz', or my spiritual awakening', or 'the shrooms catching up on me after those Halcyon drugged dazed dole days in Galway' _ but not Catholicism.

Still, he aint the worse that's out there either.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Haven't seen much of this before.

Am I mad or is off the cuff Tommy Tiernan a far, far better interviewer than either of the Friday or Saturday hosts?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭cbb1982

Yes he is v good presenter. Great interview with Donnacha O Callaghan. The senator on now is s bit boring.

M

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Am I mad or is off the cuff Tommy Tiernan a far, far better interviewer than either of the Friday or Saturday hosts?

I think so, it's short and sweet too, an hours worth is plenty rather than sending a scout around the RTE canteen for guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,814 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Isn't it nice to hear an interviewer ask a question and actually sit and listen to the answer without interrupting.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,614 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

cbb1982 wrote: »
    Yes he is v good presenter. Great interview with Donnacha O Callaghan. The senator on now is s bit boring.

Boring? She's inspirational.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I wanted to punch Tuburdy watching the interview with Trumps spokesman the other night, all he wanted was him to slate trump and kept pushing it and trying to put words in his mouth, Hillary loving gob****e as Tommy would say.
    Not watching the late late again, he's a **** interviewer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

Is it a live show or recorded ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,151 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Is it a live show or recorded ?

Don't think RTE have done a live show since baldy Sean and the envelope

It's 8.40 on the rappers watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

This girl he's been interviewing is impressive and trying to offer some realistic solutions to the problems of drugs and disadvantaged areas etc. Excellent point that those in better off areas don't just have more money, but have better connections and more support systems / options and outlets open to them precisely because of who they are and where they live : it's not just a money thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,031 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Cool song at the end,Ireland has changed so much in 34 years, just imagine people watching that on a Wednesday night on RTE ONE in 1984,their eyes would have fallen out of their head, while a woman was being slapped in the face by gardai.

A beautiful ethnic inclusivity begining to rise to the top of our culture.

I also noticed an ethnic woman doing a report on RTE news last night.
    Perhaps RTE's first black trlevision news journalist?

Good stuff Dee Forbes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,817 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I happened to catch this tonight for the first time and his interview with Donnacha o Callaghan and senator Lynne Ruane who I was very impressed with. I'd never heard her story before and I must say she came across very well.
    Also Tommy Tiernan could teach tubs and Darcy and Mary Wilson a thing about listening to the answer the guests give. I know that's a radical idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

cbb1982 wrote: »
    In love with herself. Me me and oh yes me again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Either I've just grown immune to them or they've gotten better, but I actually don't mind the sketch at the start of the second part anymore - they're not the worst.

Some good guests again this week - Sharon Horgan really seemed like she didn't want to be there and I expected more from her, but Donnacha O'Callaghan was very entertaining, and I found Lynn Ruane very interesting; I'm aware of who she is and remembering hearing a lot about her a few years ago when she became Student's Union President at Trinity, and then again when she was running for the Seanad, but that's the first time I've heard her being interviewed and she made a lot of good points.

Donnacha o Callaghan and senator Lynne Ruane were excellent. The best interviews I've seen n RTE since Gay Byrne at his best, and that political fella (pre the plank).

Tommy aint that smooth, but he has the 'bits'. He handled that impossible first guest well. Bit more practice, another two years or so, he'll be grand to replace tubbs.

Fair play to the producers for choosing the 2 and 3 guests.

Pity they didnt calm first guest down beforehand.

In love with herself. Me me and oh yes me again.
    Absolute fooking nonsense.

What interview were YOU watching?

mfceiling wrote: »
    Isn't it nice to hear an interviewer ask a question and actually sit and listen to the answer without interrupting.
    So, very, very true.

The antithesis of Tubbs.

But...

Tommy stayed to long and was too overwhelmed on the 'pregnant at 15? at 15? pregnant at 15????'

Surely he's aware such things happen. So, was he going for a Joe Duffy emotional mangle press , or was he genuinely shocked? And if he was so shocked, that someone could become pregnant at 15, then...well, that's strange.

Nonetheless, considering he's no prep, he has managed to keep the thing going. He does need professional pointers, and yup, I'm gonna say it - a serious hair stylist. :D

• Advertisement
    M

He's finding it hard to get a word in edgeways with Ruby.

Advertisement