Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Homeless is now big business, plenty in the Peter McVerry trust do very well out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I have a friend who lives in West Dublin. The Peter McVerry trust bought a house in their estate and moved in a family. The house is better than the house that my friend lives in, they pay f**k all for it in rent, and they are causing trouble every day while my friend is at work (and they are at home not working).

This is seen as social justice in modern Ireland.

yes it is

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭penelope2012

Well she actually was good on that harp a change from the usual musical endings that typically end this brilliant show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

The harp is a lovely instrument. It's not too common.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    thats two opinions you confuse with facts in one post

What sort of unpleasant person describes a tireless anti-poverty campaigner, who has dedicated his entire life to helping people less fortunate than himself, as a "poverty industry hustler"? Take a look at yourself, FFS.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭.anon.

‘All the homeless organisations are doing a great job.’ Well, Mr McVerry, by definition are are not if they are all replicating each other and clearly not having any impact on the ‘homeless’ population.

They're doing as good a job as they can, but charity is never going to fix the structural problems that they deal with. Only policy can do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

appledrop wrote: »
    Yes the council built huge amounts of housing in 70s and 80 etc but sure they just lead to huge social problems such as Ballymun, Finglas etc.

Today's approach is much better in that in every new housing estate built a small portion is set aside for social housing and much better social mix.

I am not sure it is. My sister and brother in law bought a lovely house in an estate a few years ago but had to save hard to e able to pay for it and are paying a mortgage now and since then a lot of house in the estate have been sold to the council for social housing and he was not too happy about it I can tell you. Not sure about herself. It's not too ad if the people in them are good people but what if some turn out bad. My own estate was built before them rules and had no social housing in it.
    I have a friend who has a social house from the local council and she is a really good person has a great heart but just because of a bit of misfortune and bad luck in her life she could never afford her own home. So what I am saying is not all people in social housing are bad.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭Lesalare

I’ve been staying alive for nearly 40 years

And doing nothing to help others other than sprouting off ignorance and banality on Boards.

Anyone who actively tries to help those in need should be supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,910 ✭✭✭appledrop

AMKC yeah I know some of it hasn't worked out when council goes in and buys it all up.

The original idea is a small amount should be social housing which ensures a mix.

I understand people can be unlucky with neighbours but as you said we can't just say all social housing tenants are bad they are not but we can't go back to days of building large council estates like Darmdale, Ballymun etc as that has been a disaster and lead to inter-generational poverty and disadvantage.

I grew up in working class area myself so I've seen how it goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,044 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought the song at the end was lovely.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

.anon. wrote: »
    What sort of unpleasant person describes a tireless anti-poverty campaigner, who has dedicated his entire life to helping people less fortunate than himself, as a "poverty industry hustler"? Take a look at yourself, FFS.

hes a lot more than you describe , he espouses a hard left political system, let him put his name on a ballot or else stay off the bloody airwaves , he has no mandate

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I have a friend who lives in West Dublin. The Peter McVerry trust bought a house in their estate and moved in a family. The house is better than the house that my friend lives in, they pay f**k all for it in rent, and they are causing trouble every day while my friend is at work (and they are at home not working).

This is seen as social justice in modern Ireland.

And this exact scenario is now replicated in virtually every city, town and village in Ireland. Seems that ordinary decent hard-working people have no platform to air any grievances or nobody to stand up for or represent them.
    The mantra just seems to be, 'suck it up,work hard and pay your taxes and respect those that are supposedly less well off'.
    McVerry and his ilk are never challenged about this. He needs to be interviewed by someone like Niall Boylan.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Karlos77

Found the docoumentary, it's called The Funeral Director, was on December 11th 2019 and that was a repeat of it, ffs, talk about me leaving it for a rainy day, lol.

It was a great documentary

• Registered Users Posts: 9,724 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Gasping for a pint of harp after watching yer 'wan at the end there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

appledrop wrote: »
    Tonight episode not for me.

Enjoyed the first guest but that was it.

Opposite here. First guest was a nice chap but I don't want to hear all his ins and outs.

Funeral directors a cracking interview. I knew what to expect as I saw the documentary.

Fr. McVerry interesting, especially no love in his life, found that bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

washman3 wrote: »
    And this exact scenario is now replicated in virtually every city, town and village in Ireland. Seems that ordinary decent hard-working people have no platform to air any grievances or nobody to stand up for or represent them.
    The mantra just seems to be, 'suck it up,work hard and pay your taxes and respect those that are supposedly less well off'.
    McVerry and his ilk are never challenged about this. He needs to be interviewed by someone like Niall Boylan.

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Karlos77 wrote: »
    It was a great documentary

Yes watched it after TT, really loved it. I think people need to be exposed to the normality of the cycle of death earlier, the first dead person I saw was when I was about 14 at a rural wake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Hate that nobody has the balls to challenge McVerry? Even those who know he's talking ****e won't challenge him as its one of those populist stances that means your basically Hitler if you dare to question it.

I'd ask him him how in the name of f*ck would a constitutional right to housing work? Wheres the incentive for anyone to work hard and buy one?

Solves nothing. Basically a free ticket to act the boll*x your whole life and be guaranteed a free place to live. That kind of stupidity shouldn't be given airtime.

Just because he's guilty for growing up in privilege doesn't mean we should have to pay for the fruits of his work. Maybe the Catholic hierarchy should open up all the churches in the country and let all homeless people have a roof over their heads at night first off.

Yes watched it after TT, really loved it. I think people need to be exposed to the normality of the cycle of death earlier, the first dead person I saw was when I was about 14 at a rural wake.

Very true. We'll be dead a fair bit longer than we'll be alive..

I was 5 when I saw my grand aunt waked at home. It was all explained well.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,538 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

It's great too when neighbours and friends know exactly what the funeral involves and what needs to be done when a loved one dies, when it hits you first you are all over the shop and don't really know what to be doing.

I liked that part in the documentary where he said a relative of the deceased couldn't understand why they were not in tears grieving and he explained that they were probably so busy that the reflection on the death would visit them later.

I remember at a family member's funeral feeling pretty much nothing emotionally over the days up to the funeral and then around 2 or 3 days later hitting a complete wall where I wasn't sure what my place in the world now was with them gone. My selfish fools head wasn't coming around to the fact that death was a cycle of life and that my family member had been pretty much the last 10 years prepping me for the ways of the world without them being around. I wiped away the tears and got up the next morning more motivated than I have ever been in my life.

• Advertisement

It's great too when neighbours and friends know exactly what the funeral involves and what needs to be done when a loved one dies, when it hits you first you are all over the shop and don't really know what to be doing.

I liked that part in the documentary where he said a relative of the deceased couldn't understand why they were not in tears grieving and he explained that they were probably so busy that the reflection on the death would visit them later.

I remember at a family member's funeral feeling pretty much nothing emotionally over the days up to the funeral and then around 2 or 3 days later hitting a complete wall where I wasn't sure what my place in the world now was with them gone. My selfish fools head wasn't coming around to the fact that death was a cycle of life and that my family member had been pretty much the last 10 years prepping me for the ways of the world without them being around. I wiped away the tears and got up the next morning more motivated than I have ever been in my life.

Brilliant post. I totally understand. I was keeping going when my dad died. Broke down after the funeral, bawled my eyes out.

Then you reach a stage you're so thankful for their life and how you benefitted from being around them.

You remember everyone who comes to the wake and funeral, every kind gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭applehunter

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Hate that nobody has the balls to challenge McVerry? Even those who know he's talking ****e won't challenge him as its one of those populist stances that means your basically Hitler if you dare to question it.

I'd ask him him how in the name of f*ck would a constitutional right to housing work? Wheres the incentive for anyone to work hard and buy one?

Solves nothing. Basically a free ticket to act the boll*x your whole life and be guaranteed a free place to live. That kind of stupidity shouldn't be given airtime.

Just because he's guilty for growing up in privilege doesn't mean we should have to pay for the fruits of his work. Maybe the Catholic hierarchy should open up all the churches in the country and let all homeless people have a roof over their heads at night first off.

This is a perfect post that sums up modern Ireland. We allow multi-billion corporations use our country as a tax shelter and nobody says a thing. A suggestion that our people be given the right to housing is dismissed.

We recently amended our constitution allowing unborn children to be killed. This is more acceptable?

I think Fr. McVerry has a better understanding of Ireland in 2021 than you do.

"Let all the homeless people sleep in the churches" is not only an anti-Catholic slant but also shows that you don't ever understand the basic needs of homeless people.

I’ve never been in the room with the dead body and I’m not going to change that. Maybe I should have been pushed into it earlier but I find the whole open coffin wake thing extremely vulgar.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

The thing about the Tommy Tiernan show is that it's telling us that the old Late Late Show format, and its presenter, has had its day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The thing about the Tommy Tiernan show is that it's telling us that the old Late Late Show format, and its presenter, has had its day.

I thinks the LLS still has a place but not the same old topics - sickness, death and suffering, RTE presenter from the canteen, C list celeb or anyone with a new book to promote, and the occasional potentially high profile/interesting guest who Tubridy wants to charm rather than interview. Hope they give Tiernan another few seasons, he’s genuinely interested in a persons story and throwing out good questions.

The LLS I think needs a rebrand and a new presenter but there’s still space for it. I hope Tiernan doesn’t take on that role as his own show is much better

One of the things we admire about the Tommy Tiernan show is that he is seen as a sincere and genuine presenter, who has lived life, unlike others who have spent their lives in the cloistered atmosphere of RTE.

I think the Late Late Show is finished in its format as the topics discussed and the length given to them have been battered to death all week on many other media.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

One of the things we admire about the Tommy Tiernan show is that he is seen as a sincere and genuine presenter, who has lived life, unlike others who have spent their lives in the cloistered atmosphere of RTE.

I think the Late Late Show is finished in its format as the topics discussed and the length given to them have been battered to death all week on many other media.

And the ongoing 'specials' they keep having show that they are running out of ways to fill the show now.

Even the producers know they can't have Jason Byrne, Dermot Bannon, Francis Brennan and Mario Rosenstock on 6 times each series. They have been found out.

There was another C&W music 'special' the other night, only a few months after the previous one.

Its a show running on life support at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

One of the many things I enjoy about the TT show is that a lot of the interviewees aren't "celebrities" or even that well know but they have interesting jobs and or stories.
    A bit like some of the AMA's in here when you think about it.

Even though it's a total disaster, and old folks viewing, the Late Late Show will continue to be inflicted on us for many more years to come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Even though it's a total disaster, and old folks viewing, the Late Late Show will continue to be inflicted on us for many more years to come.

Your tv stuck on rte 1?

Advertisement