Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

No, I rarely watch it, but this doesn't stop me from commenting on it, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,384 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No, I rarely watch it, but this doesn't stop me from commenting on it, surely?

So are you truly afflicted with it?

I don’t think any of us are “truly afflicted” with any form of entertainment, but things would be extremely vanilla if that just meant say nothing unless it’s positive.

I don’t think any of us are “truly afflicted†with any form of entertainment, but things would be extremely vanilla if that just meant say nothing unless it’s positive.

True, but we are overwhelmed with options for entertainment, shows such as the late late clearly still has viewers, even though I'm sure it's quickly dwindling, just turn the dial, you 'll be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

jay0109 wrote: »
    If McVerry had his wish of no evictions, there would be a mass exodus of Landlords

McVerry believes all evictions should be illegal and also all bank repossessions , he said those very words on the ray darcy radio show a few years ago, D'Arcy nodded like the gimp he is.

McVerry would turn us into Venezuela with bad weather as would the rest of his middle Ireland despising fellow travellers who want "a right to housing "

• Advertisement

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    McVerry believes all evictions should be illegal and also all bank repossessions , he said those very words on the ray darcy radio show a few years ago, D'Arcy nodded like the gimp he is.

McVerry would turn us into Venezuela with bad weather as would the rest of his middle Ireland despising fellow travellers who want "a right to housing "

so mcverry would find copious amounts of oil, backing our economy on this find, turn our government into a right mess of astonishing levels of corruption in turn, fcuking over all citizens?

im sorry to break it to you, your grievances go way beyond mcverry, you should point them towards the fire sectors(finance, insurance, and real estate)

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    So are you truly afflicted with it?

I am, because I'm paying for it.

I am, because I'm paying for it.

you dont have to

Unfortunately I do have to pay for it, unless I want to break the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

McVerry means well but putting a right to housing in the constitution or banning evictions is dangerous, very dangerous.

No one will ever disagree with him though because 1. he wants to end homelessness and 2. anyone disagreeing with him will be called out as supporting homelessness.

If there was a legal right to housing, could everyone just stop paying their mortgage in the morning?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

The thing about the Tommy Tiernan show is that it's telling us that the old Late Late Show format, and its presenter, has had its day.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, TLLS and Tiernans show are not similar or competing with each other at all.

One is a live show - the other is recorded

One is 2 hours long - the other is an hour long

One is "supposed" to be light enterainment - the other is along the lines of Gay Byrnes Meaning of Life

One has been going decades for 40 weeks a year - the other has been going 5 years for 8 episodes a year.

They are so totally different and I find Tiernans show more depressing than TLLS. Tiernan sits there crouched over with a big concentrated face asking questions to get the guest to pour their heart out like they're in therapy.

My idea of a light entertainment show isn't asking someone who they love, did they have any regrets in life etc. They're more like interviews you'd see 1v1 on the BBC or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

One of the things we admire about the Tommy Tiernan show is that he is seen as a sincere and genuine presenter, who has lived life, unlike others who have spent their lives in the cloistered atmosphere of RTE.

I think the Late Late Show is finished in its format as the topics discussed and the length given to them have been battered to death all week on many other media.

I think you hit the nail on the head there, Tommy has seen a bit of life in the real world, be it from his time on the dole to a jobbing comedian around the country in his early days with little or no money, he would have came across a lot of different characters on this travels and he seems to have a genuine interest in hearing peoples story's unlike the the RTE lifers that live in their own bubble and mix in the same circles.

Pussyhands wrote: »
    I've said it before and I'll say it again, TLLS and Tiernans show are not similar or competing with each other at all.

One is a live show - the other is recorded

One is 2 hours long - the other is an hour long

One is "supposed" to be light enterainment - the other is along the lines of Gay Byrnes Meaning of Life

One has been going decades for 40 weeks a year - the other has been going 5 years for 8 episodes a year.

They are so totally different and I find Tiernans show more depressing than TLLS. Tiernan sits there crouched over with a big concentrated face asking questions to get the guest to pour their heart out like they're in therapy.

My idea of a light entertainment show isn't asking someone who they love, did they have any regrets in life etc. They're more like interviews you'd see 1v1 on the BBC or something.

what passes for weekend " entertainment " in this country is like nothing in any other country , when has discussing homelessness been a feature on BBC or ITV saturday night ?
    ?
    will we see Ant and Dec trying something like that some time soon ?

I find Tiernans show more depressing than TLLS. Tiernan sits there crouched over with a big concentrated face asking questions to get the guest to pour their heart out like they're in therapy.

I never thought about it but what you're saying here is totally correct. You have put into words what is actually going on on the Tiernan show. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

what passes for weekend " entertainment " in this country is like nothing in any other country , when has discussing homelessness been a feature on BBC or ITV saturday night ?
    ?
    will we see Ant and Dec trying something like that some time soon ?

A very fair point.
    We have no home produced "fun" TV at the weekend at all, ala Michael McIntyre, Ant and Dec and plenty more.
    Are we too small a country? Are we obsessed with misery?

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭TheadoreT

kippy wrote: »
    A very fair point.
    We have no home produced "fun" TV at the weekend at all, ala Michael McIntyre, Ant and Dec and plenty more.

If Micheal McIntyre is the answer im terrified to ask what the question is.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

TheadoreT wrote: »

It's comedy based TV - whether you like the comedy at all, at least the aim is to make people laugh - whether that is successful or not is a matter of personal opinion really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭hold my beer

McVerry means well but putting a right to housing in the constitution or banning evictions is dangerous, very dangerous.

No one will ever disagree with him though because 1. he wants to end homelessness and 2. anyone disagreeing with him will be called out as supporting homelessness.

If there was a legal right to housing, could everyone just stop paying their mortgage in the morning?

I wouldn't worry about it, it will never happen

A very fair point.

in many ways , we are just as religious as we ever were , the need to be seen as pious and thus praise secular saints like McVerry , i know the man is a priest but hes a darling of the left who preach morality nowadays , the progressive clergy

we used to be guilty catholics , now we are guilty liberals

• Registered Users Posts: 4,910 ✭✭✭enricoh

Lesalare wrote: »

Sorry?

I am Irish and I'm sick of people here mainly being full of ****e. All talk and no action.

I'm currently doing a go fund me to help the homeless. It's like dragging blood out of a stone with a lot of people here. They all just "Like it"

Have we 100 homeless charities in Ireland at this stage?! Just apply for taxpayer funding like the rest of them!

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I’ve never been in the room with the dead body and I’m not going to change that. Maybe I should have been pushed into it earlier but I find the whole open coffin wake thing extremely vulgar.

Vulgar. Ah wouldn't agree. Nothing vulgar about something as natural as night and day. I'd rather pay respect to an open coffin than a closed one.

Maybe from farming I've seen death at a young age.

3. Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭saabsaab

A very fair point.

Ant and Dec. Spare us, terrible stuff.

4. Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

saabsaab wrote: »

Anything we'd produce would be worse, going by our current crop of comedians.

5. Registered Users Posts: 30,539 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I lost all time for McVerry around the time of the water refund and he had this sort of had this attitude to those who paid like they had money to burn and he just expected you to donate it to the homeless charity.

6. Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

I think McVerry started out with the right intensions but sadly got hijacked along the way by people who were more interested in what it was in it for them, rather that what McVerry started.

I used to like the man but now I cannot stand him, anytime I see him now he just comes across as a very bitter man,

7. Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

TheadoreT wrote: »
      saabsaab wrote: »

In fairness, if this is reflective of the general population tis easy see why theres no real desire for a bit of harmless fun on TV at the weekend!
      :)

8. Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Were you watching D'Arcy nodding on the radio? :D:D:D

No one will ever disagree with him though
      You just did though.
      A very fair point.
      Oh lord please spare us from such chummy, celeb nonsense. If that's the kind of thing you want though, RTE did have a new family quiz show on Saturday night prime time slot. It's not my thing, but if you want home produced fun TV at the weekend, there you go. And the new series of Reeling in the Years starts tonight.
      I lost all time for McVerry around the time of the water refund and he had this sort of had this attitude to those who paid like they had money to burn and he just expected you to donate it to the homeless charity.
      So by asking for charitable donations, the charity is 'expecting you to donate it'? Does the same apply to all charities who ask for donations?

hes a lot more than you describe , he espouses a hard left political system, let him put his name on a ballot or else stay off the bloody airwaves , he has no mandate
      Blanco100 wrote: »
      Hate that nobody has the balls to challenge McVerry? Even those who know he's talking ****e won't challenge him as its one of those populist stances that means your basically Hitler if you dare to question it.

I'd ask him him how in the name of f*ck would a constitutional right to housing work? Wheres the incentive for anyone to work hard and buy one?

Strange how that's not a problem with the constitutional right to education - where's the incentive for anyone to work hard and buy an education?

9. Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ant & Dec and McIntyre are as false as they come. McIntyre is not a very pleasant guy.
      Liked some of the guests on TT not others. That's the nature of the draw. Reflects more our Irish thought process than the above mentioned.

10. Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

mgn wrote: »
      I think McVerry started out with the right intensions but sadly got hijacked along the way by people who were more interested in what it was in it for them, rather that what McVerry started.

I used to like the man but now I cannot stand him, anytime I see him now he just comes across as a very bitter man,

When asked about love, he said there is no one he loves in this life.
      He said there are people he respects, but no love at all for anyone?

11. Advertisement
    12. Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭Government buildings

Were you watching D'Arcy nodding on the radio? :D:D:D

You just did though.

Oh lord please spare us from such chummy, celeb nonsense. If that's the kind of thing you want though, RTE did have a new family quiz show on Saturday night prime time slot. It's not my thing, but if you want home produced fun TV at the weekend, there you go. And the new series of Reeling in the Years starts tonight.

So by asking for charitable donations, the charity is 'expecting you to donate it'? Does the same apply to all charities who ask for donations?

Strange how that's not a problem with the constitutional right to education - where's the incentive for anyone to work hard and buy an education?

Are you equating free education with a free house?

Advertisement