Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Irish was absolutely brutal in the way it was taught in school, olden times rubbish, they should burn every single school book in Irish currently in the curriculum and start again with books written by teachers under 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭bemak

Irish should have been taught like any other language. In English!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

I don't watch tg4 for this very reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Irish was absolutely brutal in the way it was taught in school, olden times rubbish, they should burn every single school book in Irish currently in the curriculum and start again with books written by teachers under 40.

then the culture, customs and terminology would have no basis from here on out. It might not have been taught to peoples liking, but then again in parts of the country it wasnt necessary to have it. I think its all part of its evolution as to how it was taught, (at the time they thought that was the right way, now we know different), its never going to be a case that everyone speaks it or that there is a massive increase in speakers.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bozo Skeleton

One word put me and many others off learning Irish in school.
    Peig.
    Wish I had a lot more than a cúpla focail.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,243 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

then the culture, customs and terminology would have no basis from here on out. It might not have been taught to peoples liking, but then again in parts of the country it wasnt necessary to have it. I think its all part of its evolution as to how it was taught, (at the time they thought that was the right way, now we know different), its never going to be a case that everyone speaks it or that there is a massive increase in speakers.

Back in the 90's they were still teaching about terminology that was in fashion the 70's, it could have been so much better and so much more interesting. I would learn more watching the news on TG4 TNaG for half an hour than I would in a week doing Irish class daily.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Back in the 90's they were still teaching about terminology that was in fashion the 70's, it could have been so much better and so much more interesting. I would learn more watching the news on TG4 TNaG for half an hour than I would in a week doing Irish class daily.

Yep I totally agree with you AD but that's just unfortunately the way it was back then. I learnt to write it with a meter stick across the knuckles, i don't agree with that but thats how it was and its known now it wasnt as effective as people thought.
    Its taught alot different now so thats the positive in it i guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,679 ✭✭✭✭briany

Tiernan's opening gambit in his conversations,

"There's a certain kind of truth/beauty/vulnerability in....."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

He seems to try and depress every guest. "Do you think about death?" To an 80year old. Come on!!! Get help.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭griffin100

I don't like TT as a comedian but I like this show. Rosemary Smith has a great back story, Tubs or Darcy would ask her about her years of racing, but no, Tommy asks her about her fear of death because she's 80, and it makes for good viewing.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,296 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Did this lad time travel from the 1930s?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Is their something wrong with his chair...he's sitting on it like the seat is made of wire mesh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

Wish he spoke to Rosemary Smith about her driving more than he did about death!

Never heard of her before, so googled and she has a driving school! I'd love a few driving lessons from her :pac:

I bet there's a brilliant movie could be made of her life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Did this lad time travel from the 1930s?

I love that kind of music. There's a Facebook page called "Dust to Digital" . They've loads of those old clips of the early blues players.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭adocholiday

The reason l like Tommy in this setting is simply because he talks to each of his guests like people. What I mean by that is that usually their profession/talent/legacy such as Rosemary's driving is the focal point of the conversation. But instead he gets to the person underneath and it's such refreshing viewing. You don't get the usual soundbites or the story you heard 5 times on the LLS before. I thoroughly enjoy the show and would love to see him with some (willing!) high profile guests just to see how different it could be.

Wish he spoke to Rosemary Smith about her driving more than he did about death!

Never heard of her before, so googled and she has a driving school! I'd love a few driving lessons from her :pac:

I bet there's a brilliant movie could be made of her life.

She was some pilot in her day. My father was a racing driver and used to bring us to events where she took part. She blew a fair few blokes off the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭Max Prophet

The black-haired gaelgoir weather girl is genuinely one of the most beautiful looking Irish women I have ever seen. Seems so normal and approachable too. Stunning

She had an odd snout

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

And if you play your cards right..

Seriously though, what a fantastic woman. How have we not heard of her before? She seems a right champ.

Some of Tommy's questions were a downright disgrace. So ridiculous you'd have to laugh. Your one was a lady though (if risque), and took them well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 597 ✭✭✭clfy39tzve8njq

sligojoek wrote:
    She blew a fair few blokes off on the road.

FYP :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,789 ✭✭✭slavetothegrind

You know Tommy is not a perfect interviewer, he is Tommy.
    But that is genuine, and guests respond to that

Who has a fecking clue who tubridy really is?

I admit i am a fan of his comedy, but you can't deny the honesty in the interviews

I liked the Damien dempsey interview , can't imagine anyone else on television connecting with him like that.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,037 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

That is fantastic. Thanks for sharing sligojoek. She is a very interesting lady. Did she slip under the radar, fame wise? I've never heard of her before. She mentioned another lady who got her into it, she came into her dressmaking shop and mentioned racing to her. So presumably Rosemary wasn't the only lady doing this at the time?

My mother and father were fans of hers in the 70s. I've never heard of her since, until she was on Clare Byrne last night saying it was a wrong decision to do away with the F1 grid girls.

She had the honour of holding the Irish land speed record for a few hours. She hit 180 MPH in a Jag in Cork. Later the same morning it was beaten by a guy on a motorbike by 3 or 4 MPH. I remember listening it on Morning Ireland or Mike Murphy at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

RTÉ really need to dump the D'Arcy show and give the slot to Tommy

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Is this still pre recorded and then edited?

EPAndlee wrote: »
    RTÉ really need to dump the D'Arcy show and give the slot to Tommy

Unfortunately, I don't think that Tommy Tiernan will have a long shelf-life as a chat-show host as one of two things will happen,

1) He'll get burnt out from the pressure of doing a show where he mightn't know the guests from Adam, and constantly having to fashion an interesting conversation out of nothing.

2) He'll put his foot in his mouth, or just say something that will be taken wrong, and it will create a minor scandal, causing RTE to think twice about recommissioning the series.

Neither occurrence would position him well for a move to Saturday night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I doubt he would take on a proper chatshow. RTE is for establishment arseholes like Tubridy. Tommy would, in time, end up in hot water over something, necessitating suspension, the dropping of the show. He couldn't be relied on to keep it between the lines!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

It shouldn't be referred to as Donegal Irish, it is Ulster Irish, the medieval people in modern Derry, Tyrone, Fermanagh also spoke Irish in that dialect, that's why the accents are similar today when speaking English.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,194 ✭✭✭jos28

I enjoy the format of the programme but the interview with Rosemary Smith really annoyed me. The woman is a legend and deserved more questioning about her career and not the fact that she is facing death :mad:
    I remember my Dad bringing me to see her race in the Phoenix Park and as a young girl it was amazing to see a woman compete at that level in a predominantly male world.
    She is really worthy of a documentary in her own right. I'm thinking of the excellent ones on Johnny Giles and Mick O'Dwyer. Rosemary Smith's story would make an excellent choice.

• Advertisement

jos28 wrote: »
    I enjoy the format of the programme but the interview with Rosemary Smith really annoyed me. The woman is a legend and deserved more questioning about her career and not the fact that she is facing death :mad:
    I remember my Dad bringing me to see her race in the Phoenix Park and as a young girl it was amazing to see a woman compete at that level in a predominantly male world.
    She is really worthy of a documentary in her own right. I'm thinking of the excellent ones on Johnny Giles and Mick O'Dwyer. Rosemary Smith's story would make an excellent choice.

She's definitely worthy of a documentary. I think most would agree, there.

Because Tommy Tiernan didn't even know who she was, though, there's no way to have him question her, incisively, about her career. The thing about this particular show is that Tommy will ask whatever comes to mind.

But I thought she handled the question really well. She gave a rather positive, and life-affirming answer, and if she took offence to the question being posed, she certainly didn't let on.

Advertisement