Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 82,244 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He has trimmed down a lot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Getting tired of Paul McGrath's tragic misunderstood figure lark, same thing every interview.

Do you ever get tired of having nothing - absolutely nothing - nice, kind or generous to say about anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Lowry is a dead sound fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,629 ✭✭✭Glebee

This is a horriffic interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,575 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Glebee wrote: »
    This is a horriffic interview.

Eh?

I think it is genuine and hilarious and informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Schwiiing

Who put glitter in Lowrys beard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

Im finding this interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

This is a brilliant interview. It just shows you what a bit of wit from the interviewer and just acting the messer sometimes (at the right times - in right interviews) can make the interview so much stronger.

Darcy doesn't have that sense of letting himself go. Darcy would just be asking his age and have a silly audience putting game etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Do you ever get tired of having nothing - absolutely nothing - nice, kind or generous to say about anyone?

I say plenty of nice things and often defend people if they're being treated harshly.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Ah jaysus, but sure you'd miss the auld dose of saturday night misery and heartbreak, wouldnt you?

No no no i fecking wouldnt
    On his worst night, Tommy is still a country mile ahead of that waste of space

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Eh?

I think it is genuine and hilarious and informative.

Much, much better than either of the usual interviewers. Not perfect, but a smart fella asking questions he's thinking about instead of reading off cue cards is such a more worthwhile viewing experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,291 ✭✭✭lbc2019

‪Its ironic the Tommy Tiernan Show works cos Tommy doesnt make it about him or refer everything back to himself‬

Hard to believe he is still only 31. A player with his style could easily be easily competitive in for another 14 plus years

Also, this single bit of music features more musicianship than the entire late late country special from start to finish.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Much, much better than either of the usual interviewers. Not perfect, but a smart fella asking questions he's thinking about instead of reading off cue cards is such a more worthwhile viewing experience.

There is a great sense that there are no constraints, the interview could go anywhere. And that is because the interviewer has a brain.
    Reminds me of Parkinson, whose only actual talent was that people interested him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

You don't see many people being interviewed on RTE that seem to enjoy themselves like Lowry.Some of the other golfers would bore you to death.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Carter 15th repeat on rte now.

Carter 15th repeat on rte now.

Nathan?

Deadly, haven't seen him since his two speaking and two singing slots on last night's Late Late.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I hadn’t watched the Tiernan show before. I really enjoyed it. It’s an interesting format, and he had a real knack of getting behind the facade of a person.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I only got the Shane Lowery bit tonight. I'm not into golf and never heard him speak before. Lovely down to earth guy and no bullshirt. It's great to see a presenter having to think on his feet. No cue card with a checkbox to be ticked.

Nice bit of ceol to finish up.

• Advertisement

This is a brilliant interview. It just shows you what a bit of wit from the interviewer and just acting the messer sometimes (at the right times - in right interviews) can make the interview so much stronger.

Darcy doesn't have that sense of letting himself go. Darcy would just be asking his age and have a silly audience putting game etc

Things like "What's your favourite putter, Shane"

Still prefer Darcy. At least he does the show live. Deserves credit for that.

what is the difference? This show isn't edited, just goes out at a later time and both are in front of a live audience. Darcy has pre prepared questions (however bad they are) so TT is interviewing on the spot.

That is far more "live" in it's format.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Things like "What's your favourite putter, Shane"

How old is your putter Shane.

How old is your putter Shane.

Do you play a lot of golf, Shane?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Do you play a lot of golf, Shane?

How do you feel when you win a competition Shane. Are you happy.

what is the difference? This show isn't edited, just goes out at a later time and both are in front of a live audience. Darcy has pre prepared questions (however bad they are) so TT is interviewing on the spot.

That is far more "live" in it's format.
    No . Dont agree. Guy I know went to last session . Said it was edited to bits and there were long awkward pauses as well. At least tubridy and Darcy are live.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Ah stop ray.

"How long is your putter, Shane?" followed by 30 secs of his fake laugh.

Then..

"So your (Insert loved one here) died last year. That must have been awful. How did you hear the news? How did you feel?"

• Advertisement

No . Dont agree. Guy I know went to last session . Said it was edited to bits and there were long awkward pauses as well. At least tubridy and Darcy are live.

Thank god for that. That is skillful editing.
    I enjoy pub conversations, but they are by their nature sporadic and disjointed. They wouldn't make good TV.
    Being able to skillfully give the flavour of one, takes talent.
    Give me that any night over stilted awkward 'live' TV.

Advertisement