Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭blackvalley

I don’t know how to post a link but there’s a great documentary about this arms transplant on RTE series “ doc on one “ . The full story is covered in detail and it’s fascinating. I just happened to listen to it only this week.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭blackvalley

Heading into the operation the surgeons told him that the absolute best result would be arms that he could bend at the elbow so it looks like things worked out much better than expected.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,404 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Registered Users Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Brian Scan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,772 ✭✭✭✭briany

Better episode this week. Where the show really shines is giving exposure to these people with amazing stories but who not everyone would necessarily have heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,551 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

This rapper guy has an interesting past.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched. Really good episode I was amazed at Felixs story and I was crying and Karol and your ones baby story.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Fascinating interview by Tommy with the electrician who had the arms transplant.

That was a very interesting question about his fingerprints. By the look on his face, I don't think it was something Felix Gretarsson had ever fully considered. He went on to explain how the new arms had adaped in to his skin colour since the operation, and even the dark, curly hair had changed on them, and eventually it became the same as his own.

Got me thinking, Is there any possibility that the original pattern of his own fingerprints will also return over time?

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭RavenBea17b

Tommy Tiernan show with Patrick Kielty in particular. Very personnel, so emotional. Thought proving too. Certainly made people think about how people from the North are perceived and thought of by people in the South.

The discussion about a unified Ireland will bring many changes - for all, but it was so very insightful. How the South will need to change. More so - in my opinion then the North in a number of ways, from obviously nearly 2 million people in systems, to political changes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭farmingquestion

"we're the cooks who couldn't cook"

So like every cook. No one comes out of the womb making carbonaras.

"influencers" are just the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Great interviews again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Ashbourne hoop

A return to form after the Keano borefest last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Banjo Carney

It always helps when the people been interviewed are willing to engage.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Agreed, just saw that episode now. No tune/melody to it? All I got from it was she was half talking/giving out about something and someone. There was a few oohs' in it.

I am glad it is not just me. Was half thinking I was being unfair or not 'getting' the 'vibe'.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I thought that RK did engage but just on his own terms.

True to form so to speak.

Gary Neville got a fair bit of info out of Roy Keane on a walk with his dog.. Maybe Tommy should have brought Roy on his wander down the West? Talking to Puffins and the like. And putting the walking in slow motion.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

I assumed yer man Felix injured his arms. Jayus me jaw hit the floor, when I twigged the arms were a French fellas once.

Post edited by Boards.ie: Paul on

Is that what they were? 3 minutes of it and I fast forwarded. First thought was I thought they were going to be going on about eating healthy. But that didn't make sense. I think they were stuck for a third guest slot. And they landed Tommy with those pair. Once yer one said 'it is not a long story', and Tommy said 'try and drag it out'. That was my signal for fast forwarding. Maybe other people enjoy it, I don't know.

Post edited by gormdubhgorm on

I got the impression that the Dub rapper fella would be very good if someone wrote him decent lyrics. It just sounded like something he did in five minutes, and the rest said that's grand.

Yer wan in the band has a good voice on her, and they have interesting musical sounds. Seems to be good potential there if someone got a hold of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 615 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Faye O'Rourke is a great singer, especially in the bands previous incarnation as 'Little Green cars', but truthfully, I haven't yet heard any of their current songs as 'Soda Blonde' that I'd consider a good, melodic, strong tune, suitable to her voice.

They need to write a few belters again.

I think it's a sign the show is running out of guests. They'll go more and more for social media people with some following.

It's only a matter of time before an Only Fans worker is on, or someone who lost 10 stone and has a social media following etc. Those types.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Banjo Carney

If that was Roy engaging I'd hate to watch an interview where he wasn't.

He said during the interview he was embarrassed drawing his wages at Celtic because he was unable to perform well because of injuries.

He should have been embarrassed collecting his fee for that interview in my opinion.

Well he's no Prince Harry I'll grant you that but I find him compelling viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭chosen1

Just read up on him there. And here was me thinking he'd be a Saint with the type of rhetoric he was spouting in his song....

Poorer version of Damien Dempsey in terms of his talent. Although Tommy has a great show, his musical acts are not generally to my taste at all with a few notable exceptions.

I see Tiernan is in hot water for telling a disgustingly racist and painfully unfunny joke. Not for the first time either. The fella seems to think “funny” accents and broad stereotypes are still at the cutting edge of comedy. He’s like one of those boomers in their 40s who still watch Family Guy and think it’s edgy.

While we are on the subject of his TV show, am I the only one who thinks it’s hopelessly overrated? Like it can have its moments, but Tiernan seems to think that wearing a “zany” suit, stroking his beard, staring into the distance, shouting the odd absurd thing, and going on about death and Celtic mysticism offers him a unique insight into the human condition.

I mean the show last Saturday was absolute dirge. His tiresome auld palaver didn’t work on Roy Keane, and the interview with the therapist afterwards wasn’t funny, shocking or insightful.

I just don’t get the effusive praise.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭kowloonkev

Could you please give us the gist of the joke?

Your one goes to Tommy Tiernan stand up show. Has she ever heard him before? He tells jokes about many cultures and races and puts on accents. She must have known he takes the piss out of travellers for example. But she doesn't mind that I assume since she went. She only cares about her own race being made fun of it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

if i find someone overrated and the programme they are making is absolute dirge i pick up the remote and turn it off

it is a new concept but i prefer it rather than watching something i do not enjoy to then rant about it online to strangers

The internet isn’t for everyone

I think the show is ok. There's worse things to watch. It's interesting. I wouldn't call it classic Saturday night entertainment. It's like watching a documentary about whales. It's interesting, but it's not entertaining.

However, I think the praise it gets is completely over the top. Tiernan plays the role of a shrink, sitting with his head crouched down, asking questions using carefully selected words to try and get "deep" answers from the guest. During and after they answer he stares intensively, leaving a silence, as if he's trying to get the guest to think of the meaning and reason of the words they just said.

The humour during the interviews is the same type of humour that happens between the parents of a girl and her boyfriend when they meet for the first time.

• Advertisement

I was a bit surprised to see that his zoo joke caused little comment.

It seems to have blown over now, maybe because he kept his head down.

It was racist and not very funny and I agree with his daughter who told him not to tell it.

I do enjoy most of his interview shows.

Advertisement