Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Well said Dr. ! My sentiments 100%

Tiernan has all the symptoms of a lad starting to smell himsell....strange hat....the beard...as you say staring into the distance in some remote location down the West.

Saw him with the long scarf so beloved of RTE Pooh-Bahs recently....which confirmed my views of him as a pretentious overrated chancer.

He will be found out ..like those 2 talentless goons from Limerick who went around with plastic shopping bags around their noggins...the lad who dropped the bag o s%$te from the crane had a better use for that item in my opinion.

I think you can tell I am not a fan.....

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

That would be the sort of item gay Byrne would have on back in the day, sort of oddball element, non celebrity, non gaa, non sob story, non political but riveting TV.

It's amazing that this revolutionary arm transplant is not more widely known, no tik tok videos. Also much harder for Tiernan as he has no preparation done for this item unlike gay Byrne

yeah he has the look of someone believing his own hype this year , also having seen him rip a girl apart to the point of tears once for getting offended at a gig his apology looks contrived

• Registered Users Posts: 3,449 ✭✭✭HBC08

"Boomers"

Who talks like this in real life?

I know this is really going to bug you but he's not going to be cancelled by twitter eejits.

He's said things a lot worse over the years but he was sailing close to the wind and I doubt he'll be telling it again.

People like this Emer girl think they have some sort of mandate from their twitter echo chambers.These are generally not happy people and they get a bit of a land when they venture out in the real world.Id say the same happens to you,it might explain your anger issues.

Get a girlfriend/boyfriend, leave the online outrage behind and have a bit of a life for yourself Genuinely, you'll be much more content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 ballygox

Emer wrote: ‘His first joke of the night straight out of the gate began with and I paraphrase (please if you were there too, correct me if I am wrong). ‘“My daughter told me I shouldn’t tell this joke”, long pause… “So I was at the zoo the other day and looking at the penguins, they are like little nuns walking around with rosary beads."'

He continued: '"Then the wolves so Irish fierce/strong, then we went to the African Savannah and ….. it was full of taxi drivers! Ok, now I’m looking at a room of white faces and everyone is laughing so I think I’m okay, it wasn’t a racist joke.”’

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

I find it really strange, the contrast between his son-of-the-soil, modern day seanchaí image and then his behaviour on stage where he compares African people to wild animals and does gurning impressions of people with Down’s Syndrome.

All this boomery stuff he said about his daughter not wanting to hear the Savannah joke definitely evokes an image of him making hooting monkey noises to provoke his daughter. The kind of boomer centrist Dad “I’m the boss here and you just have to sit there and listen to it” stuff Jeremy Clarkson and Piers Morgan revel in. Fair play to young people such as Emer O Neill, Tommy Tiernan’s daughter, and Jeremy Clarkson’s daughter, for standing up to their racist bile.

Comedians like Tommy Tiernan need to focus on actually being funny rather than trying to wind up his audience.

We’ve all seen the first person to leave a gig straight out of the gate , usually drunk, mouthy and female. Happens every gig .

my favourite was at a jim Jeffries gig in vicar st. She walked out, her fella following and the 10 mins later he’s back telling jim he put her in a taxi home 😂😂

He told a joke that referred to black taxi drivers and the African Plains area in Dublin Zoo. It was racist and unfunny, and that lady is perfectly entitled to be offended. She doesn’t need some middle-aged white dude telling her the correct way to feel.

Get the feeling I’m not the one with the sense of outrage here , dude.

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭techman1

Exactly "Boomers" is a US term to describe baby boomers that came of age in the 1960s and 70s and are now retired in their 70s, so the poster has the completely wrong generation.

Tierney is not a "Boomer" but Generation X.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

The fact that a 37 year old woman could be offended by a joke is pretty pathetic so offended she had to tell the world how offended she was. She's playing to the gallery.

• Advertisement

Boomer in this context refers more to those angry and frustrated middle-aged men who seem to spend their days on Twitter, The Journal etc giving out about wokeness, PC culture, young people having different perspectives than they have, telling people who aren’t boring middle-aged men how they should feel and react. The sort who may once have been vibrant and carefree characters on sites like Boards.ie, but have slowly become the sort of tiresome old bore they probably once feared they’d become. 

This lady found a racist joke unfunny, and the comedian in question has apologised for telling this racist joke.

I’d imagine that will be the end of it, but it does show Tiernan up as the sort who is starting to believe his own hype. Stephen Fry syndrome.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I think everyone with any faculties would accept it’s a racist joke.

after that his defenders are left reaching around defending racism either by the argument that people need to get over it because it’s comedy or he’s offensive to other sections of society so why select blacks as in special need of protection.

the Damascus conversion he has experienced to realise depicting africans as wild animals is a bit wrong makes me laugh. Emer must be a bit of a pushover to accept that auld bullshit.

if someone in the pub told me they saw a load of African taxi drivers in the cages in the zoo I’d give them a wide bearth. How this provoked a hilarious response in Ireland’s capital in 2022 is a bit …unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,581 ✭✭✭NoviGlitzko

What right has she as a middle aged black woman to tell white man Tommy what he should and shouldn't write? He's a comedian. Did you ever hear such guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm more interested in the motivation of the 53 year old man with a good gig on TV who thought it was a good idea to tell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭It is a Dunne Deal

Yeah he should have known it was a **** joke and on balance shouldn't have told it but the performative offense taken is equally as pathetic as the joke itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,758 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Funny thing is I don't think Tommy is a

'Funny' thing is I don't think Tommy is a great comedian. A lot of his stuff is just shouting/noises and unfunny stuff IMO. `But comedy is subjective.

Unfortunately in this day and age people are quick to go looking for offence. And social media can make a lone vocal voice into a megaphone, if it is given traction.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,965 ✭✭✭✭elperello

But Tommy was the performer.

If that's his edge it's a bit blunt in this day and age.

He should have listened to his daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭jacool

I can't understand why people who dislike the show keep on watching it.

I think he does a good job, meeting people with no script and no agenda.

The Roy Keane interview failed because, a la Haaland, Roy didn't play (the) ball. Christ, he asked him what was his grandfathers name and he didn't even answer that question. He did say in the THL podcast that he opened up a little after the show, but I'd say everyone was interested in "opening up" after the Jenny Keane interview.

Patrick Kielty on the other hand was clever, articulate and participatory and I thought that was quality stuff. The Felix one blew my mind completely, and I was trying to imagine how Tommy had to handle that one from not knowing this guy's story at all. I think it went very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Rescue Remedy

#Be Kind

None of your posts are kind. Misandrist almost always. Calling a generation 'boomery' is that kind? Do you know what kind means?

Post edited by Rescue Remedy on

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭Nevin Parsnipp

Have to say in my opinion Tiernan is a Grade 1 Asshat.

Unfortunately there is a coterie of idiots in this fair land who equate shouting and swearing and racism as comedy....and Thomas is playing to that group and portraying himself as "edgy" and "pushing the envelope".

The reality is that he has morphed into RTE Pooh-Bah style with the scarves and the looking into the distance staged photos.

Nah...the lad just dosn't do it for this poster in an anyways.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What people need to understand when they go to a comedy gig.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,326 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

The internet isn’t for everyone

Misogynistic? I think you’re mixing me up with someone else, I have never posted any misogynistic remarks or anything close to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,062 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

She has every bloody right to say what she wants. Yeah the guff I hear is people claiming he wasnt racist. Its textbook racism comparing black men ton animals in the zoo.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sorry.. misandrist.

'The kind of boomer centrist Dad “I’m the boss here and you just have to sit there and listen to it” stuff Jeremy Clarkson and Piers Morgan revel in.' Plenty of examples.

Misandry. Long day typed the wrong word.

It's definitely not kind.

#Be Kind

• Registered Users Posts: 68,817 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Except he didn't compare black men to animals.

It was a poor joke but don't make it even worse by making it make zero sense. Are animals driving taxi's here now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Shakyfan

Who talks like that? Him and his other accounts......

• Advertisement

He said he saw taxi drivers at the African savannah part of the zoo. Clearly alluding to the historical tendency to compare black people with apes/monkeys.

Stop pretending you can’t see that.

Advertisement