Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

At least he doesn't pretend to not have met them in the green room and canteen. Give credit where it's due.

He defininetly hasn't met them before, and knows little or nothing about some guests, that's what makes it so bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

padohaodha wrote: »
    Eddie Lenihan is an absolute legend.Should be more of him on.

RTE should give him his own programme. I think he was on RTE years and years ago, but it's time for him to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

Tbh; Eddie Lenihan's beard is brilliant on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,583 ✭✭✭✭kippy

coastwatch wrote: »
    He defininetly hasn't met them before, and knows little or nothing about some guests, that's what makes it so bad.

Its a great format. At least most of the guests are very varied and not on some tour trying to sell a book/movie/series or something else.
    I'd not heard KH interviewed till last night but thought she came across really well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

kippy wrote: »
    Its a great format. At least most of the guests are very varied and not on some tour trying to sell a book/movie/series or something else.
    I'd not heard KH interviewed till last night but thought she came across really well.

No prepared questions either unlike D'arcy and Tubs where everything is scripted and no real interest in guest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭mrslancaster

Did anyone else think it was very inappropriate of TT to ask KH to discuss the patients in her workplace - ie "tell me about the patients, what are they suffering from"...

Shame on TT to ask such personal questions about patients in a mental health hospital particularly as the hospital had been identified.

When he asked the first time it was sidestepped by KH and then he asked it again. He also made a smart remark that his show is very big in psychiatric hospitals which got a huge laugh from the audience - what's that about? Imagine the backlash if 'psychiatric hospital' was changed to Traveller/LGBT/Muslim or another group?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

No, I thought it was a reasonable question from someone who probably doesn't have a lot of experience with mental health institutions. I'd imagine it's not the first time someone who works there was asked the same question.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭the whole year inn

Did anyone else think it was very inappropriate of TT to ask KH to discuss the patients in her workplace - ie "tell me about the patients, what are they suffering from"...

Shame on TT to ask such personal questions about patients in a mental health hospital particularly as the hospital had been identified.

When he asked the first time it was sidestepped by KH and then he asked it again. He also made a smart remark that his show is very big in psychiatric hospitals which got a huge laugh from the audience - what's that about? Imagine the backlash if 'psychiatric hospital' was changed to Traveller/LGBT/Muslim or another marginalised group?

The joke wouldn't work if you substituted any of those groups in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,774 ✭✭✭✭briany

When he asked the first time it was sidestepped by KH and then he asked it again. He also made a smart remark that his show is very big in psychiatric hospitals which got a huge laugh from the audience - what's that about? Imagine the backlash if 'psychiatric hospital' was changed to Traveller/LGBT/Muslim or another marginalised group?

Didn't think it was inappropriate at all to ask about what the patients are suffering from. Doing so gives the viewer a clearer picture of what goes on inside these types of places and to empathise with the people suffering the various conditions. Since most of us will hopefully never the inside of one of these places, there is a tendency to label them as edifices in which mentally ill people reside, and think no more about it.

As for making an insensitive remark, this is unfortunately the nature of an ad-libbed talk show that there is a danger of putting your foot in it. That's human. Like, when Tiernan mockingly bowed down to the Muslim imam guy and started singing a gibberish call to prayer, that could have been seen as extraordinarily insensitive. On the other hand, when Tiernan asked the imam to sing an actual call to prayer, that was a remarkably positive moment, or the time just recently when he reassured Paul McGrath about his Irishness.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Ok. .....sorry guys but I prefer Darcy to this set up rubbish.!
    Well said Jenny ( not )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

I think this is one of the best chat shows ive ever seen. I was out of the country last weekend and only saw this episode last night. The accent alone would previously have put me off kellie Harrington. However in this interview , i found that i was completely wrong. I was amazed at this young woman . Im no fan of female boxing, but this woman was an inspiration. I thought the fact that she continues to work as a cleaner in a mental hospital when she no longer needs to , to be a revelation. She would restore your faith in humanity .
    I simply dont think we would ever have got this sort of interview with either Darcy or Tubridy , all either of them would have done , would be to drone on about the most depressing aspects of her life

• Registered Users Posts: 82,530 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

With death have a walk around a graveyard some day and you will see how happy you should be with your lot.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Ah Mícheál is a legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

Micheál should be on telly every week just to cheer us up.

Most of the things people worry about dont materialise.

Sighs off with.... well it's a comfortable chair

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

This round the table stuff is crap.

M

'Consent educator', sweet jaysus, if someone can't understand what they are doing is rape they should take themselves off a pier of an evening.

M

Cuddle parties, ffs, I feel old.

M

Anyone born in the last 5 years is proper fooked if they don't mobilise and rage against this pure bull$hit that will destroy their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Well I don't about the rest of ye but I know what I'm doing next weekend

M

A 4 handed massage, lol.

• Advertisement
    M

Going back to someone's room at 2am thinking you are going to play chess is naive, next day regrets can't be called rape.

Sad about the woman who hadn't had any hug etc for 15 years. She should get herself a cat or a dog.

M

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

Where are the other two Nualas

• Registered Users Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭froog

Jesus this is bad.

M

Lady In Red.

Omg. Thank heavens I thought that was ronan mother of 13 for a moment.

M

Cailín Rua

She's loud..

• Advertisement
    M

Jason Byrne, I'd rather be on the roof of Chernobyl 30 seconds after it exploded shovelling stuff for 24 hours.

Advertisement