Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Paddy is grand, being knocked here by a load of lads wont bother him.

He's no McGregor clone, not flashy, pumped all he made from the UFC into his own gym and does a huge amount for his community. He's a decent guy and made something of himself

• Registered Users Posts: 7,636 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The interviews weren't the best compared to past episodes at times all right but some of the comments on here are downright bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

Have to admire Tiernan for keeping it together though when he talked about his plans to become a Councillor.

You do know that video is a fake.

It was a funny show and then people thought it was real.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

The interviews weren't the best compared to past episodes at times all right but some of the comments on here are downright bizarre.

I don't watch this but thought it was quite good.

The lad Mark was worth watching it for, he came across very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,826 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I wouldn't worry about it, this site abounds with people who think the content of not only shows but an entire radio and television station should be tailored exclusively for them.
    I enjoyed most of it, particularly that band, which had by passed my radar altogether. I thought Hozier opening up about feeling restricted rather than liberated by social media was very interesting.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I enjoyed the show. I think Tommy done an excellent interview with Mark. The one with Paddy was a bit off I couldn't put my finger on it, it just didn't come across well. I enjoyed Paddy's book he seems like a decent chap.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I wouldn't worry about it, this site abounds with people who think the content of not only shows but an entire radio and television station should be tailored exclusively for them.
    I enjoyed most of it, particularly that band, which had by passed my radar altogether. I thought Hozier opening up about feeling restricted rather than liberated by social media was very interesting.

Hozier and all the hoziers out there “opening up” spewing their naval gazing nonsense all over the rest of us is what has the country in a state of permanent anxiety about who is offended by what and when.
    Less “opening up” please by by self obsessed z list celebrities because all it’s doing is encouraging young people to think that their feelings will lead them to happiness and success. They won’t.
    Of course if there was less media “reaching out” to these idiots it wouldn’t be as prominent.

splinter65 wrote: »
    Hozier and all the hoziers out there “opening up” spewing their naval gazing nonsense all over the rest of us is what has the country in a state of permanent anxiety about who is offended by what and when.
    Less “opening up” please by by self obsessed z list celebrities because all it’s doing is encouraging young people to think that their feelings will lead them to happiness and success. They won’t.
    Of course if there was less media “reaching out” to these idiots it wouldn’t be as prominent.

I have managed (without trying at all) to not expose myself to Hozier's or anybody else's 'opening up's' if it doesn't interest me.
    I bypass it, ignore it, let it in one ear out the other. Most people do that and allow other people...all types of people, to exist and live and function in society.

It's called tolerance. Try it sometime...because the world isn't all about you, ironically.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

It could be how it was edited but Tommy never took to Holohan at all. Paddy has his own podcast where he interviews different people. His interview with Gerry Adams is up on YouTube and it shows him up as someone who has no real understanding of the politics or history of the party he is a councillor of. Comes across very poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

He’s nothing like McGregor

He is. They all talk in the same way. Same voice, same mannerisms when speaking, same way of expressing themselves.

Now, that's not me saying he isn't a more likeable guy, or that he hasn't done some good things for his area. I acknowledge that. I've also heard him interviewed on other shows and podcasts, and he came across better in those.

Personally I think Tommy had little to no time for him. And as a result the interview bombed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I generally like the TT show but last night was pretty painful watching. I think the whole thing of him not knowing who is coming out was a bit of a novelty at first but its lost its shine now and the format only results in interviews where Tommy hasnt a clue what to ask because he doesnt know a whole about the guests career beyond knowing who they are/what they do, etc.

Like last night that Hozier interview was a hard watch as the only thing Tiernan really knew about him was that he had a big song a few years ago and made it off that back of that. He could have asked him about being nominated for the Grammy Awards, being on the Late Show with David Letterman, working with Dr.Dre, topping the charts in 60+ countries etc but of course Tiernan didnt know any of this so what we got was 20 minutes of him trying to skirt and joke with Hozier which was pretty boring to watch, especially as Hozier is far from charismatic. The format of him not doing any research on the guests detracts from the interviews imo, if he had of done just a little bit of research to find 4 or 5 talking points it would have made for a much better interview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

This link came up when I went to the RTE web page, so after reading the reviews here I had to look it up.

https://www.rte.ie/culture/music/2020/0105/1104391-watch-lankum-perform-the-young-people-on-the-tommy-tiernan-show/

I can hear what ye are saying, not exactly uplifting. Start of it sounds like yer man is only learning how to play chords on the guitar.

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I generally like the TT show but last night was pretty painful watching. I think the whole thing of him not knowing who is coming out was a bit of a novelty at first but its lost its shine now and the format only results in interviews where Tommy hasnt a clue what to ask because he doesnt know a whole about the guests career beyond knowing who they are/what they do, etc.

Like last night that Hozier interview was a hard watch as the only thing Tiernan really knew about him was that he had a big song a few years ago and made it off that back of that. He could have asked him about being nominated for the Grammy Awards, being on the Late Show with David Letterman, working with Dr.Dre, topping the charts in 60+ countries etc but of course Tiernan didnt know any of this so what we got was 20 minutes of him trying to skirt and joke with Hozier which was pretty boring to watch, especially as Hozier is far from charismatic. The format of him not doing any research on the guests detracts from the interviews imo, if he had of done just a little bit of research to find 4 or 5 talking points it would have made for a much better interview.

Agree. Tiernan is smart enough and curious enough to interview intelligently, researched or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,014 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

He is. They all talk in the same way. Same voice, same mannerisms when speaking, same way of expressing themselves.

Now, that's not me saying he isn't a more likeable guy, or that he hasn't done some good things for his area. I acknowledge that. I've also heard him interviewed on other shows and podcasts, and he came across better in those.

Personally I think Tommy had little to no time for him. And as a result the interview bombed.

Maybe it’s the fact they have accents from the city they were raised in?

Maybe it’s the fact they have accents from the city they were raised in?

I, my family, friends, work colleagues, were all raised raised in that city. None of us speak in that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

I like the show but I definitely think the concept needs the guest to be more forthcoming and not be waiting for Tommy to be firing questions at them constantly like a regular chat show. Some guests in last series were brilliant but this concept definitely shows up the boring ones and those who normally have a pre scripted set of questions.
    Once Tommy gets comfortable with the guest and the guest with him it can result in a very natural chat more than it looking like an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

harr wrote: »
    I like the show but I definitely think the concept needs the guest to be more forthcoming and not be waiting for Tommy to be firing questions at them constantly like a regular chat show. Some guests in last series were brilliant but this concept definitely shows up the boring ones and those who normally have a pre scripted set of questions.
    Once Tommy gets comfortable with the guest and the guest with him it can result in a very natural chat more than it looking like an interview.

Highlight for me last series was Shane Lowry,both Tommy and himself were really comfortable with each other

I'm still traumatized by the two boys singing Suzanne last night.. noticed too how Hozier quickly brushed over his rise to stardom story..

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭nf2k

Muahahaha wrote: »

That sounds like a potentially amazing interview, but there are other shows for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭paleoperson

Jeff2 wrote: »
    You do know that video is a fake.

It was a funny show and then people thought it was real.

Yes I'm aware it's fake. It should be marked fake by the uploader, I didn't in any way mean to suggest it was not fake.

• Advertisement

Agree. Tiernan is smart enough and curious enough to interview intelligently, researched or not.

That sentence is almost exactly opposite to the point he made. He's saying it needs to be researched.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

nf2k wrote: »
    That sounds like a potentially amazing interview, but there are other shows for that.

100%. The thing about Tiernan's show is his lack of knowledge of the person can often lead to some interesting avenues of conversation with the guest exactly because they are not being asked the same questions they get asked on every chat show.

In Hozier's case I think he's just insufferably dull unfortunately. Nice fella I'm sure but even Tommy couldn't knock any craic out of him.

That sentence is almost exactly opposite to the point he made. He's saying it needs to be researched.

Yes, and like all the greats of interviewing, Parkie, Byrne etc, from time to time they have a guest that is too uptight (Hozier admitted the reason for this) to reveal anything or to loosen up. There are some classic examples of that out there.
    What I am saying is I don't think it would make any difference to Tiernan whether he was researched or not.

I, my family, friends, work colleagues, were all raised raised in that city. None of us speak in that way.

why are you looking down on people who do?

He's not even associated with mcgregor

why are you looking down on people who do?

He's not even associated with mcgregor

Point me to where I looked down on him please?

Point me to where I looked down on him please?
    you inferred his accent is lower on the ladder than you're family

you inferred his accent is lower on the ladder than you're family

Sorry, what? I said we're all from Dublin but we don't speak in that manner. Nowhere did I suggest his accent was placed anywhere on the ladder. You inferred that. I'm commenting about the manner in which they talk.

Yes, and like all the greats of interviewing, Parkie, Byrne etc, from time to time they have a guest that is too uptight (Hozier admitted the reason for this) to reveal anything or to loosen up. There are some classic examples of that out there.
    What I am saying is I don't think it would make any difference to Tiernan whether he was researched or not.

Alright I know what you're saying but why did you say "Agree" to what he said then when he just spent a while saying the exact opposite?

He posted two well-written paragraphs on why Tommy Tiernan's interview was crippled by lack of previous knowledge, giving examples and everything on why it would make it so much better. So why did you say that?

Hate to labour the point but it's baffling, did you quote the wrong poster, not read the post properly? I mean, it would be hard to read that post and take away from it that he thought this idea of interviewing was a good one in Tommy Tiernan's case.

Alright I know what you're saying but why did you say "Agree" to what he said then when he just spent a while saying the exact opposite?

He posted two well-written paragraphs on why Tommy Tiernan's interview was crippled by lack of previous knowledge, giving examples and everything on why it would make it so much better. So why did you say that?

Hate to labour the point but it's baffling, did you quote the wrong poster, not read the post properly? I mean, it would be hard to read that post and take away from it that he thought this idea of interviewing was a good one in Tommy Tiernan's case.

I agree that the 'novelty' has probably worn off.

I don't agree that he was particularly crippled by lack of knowledge of Hozier.
    Tiernan was clever enough to spot that Hozier was being reticent and got to the nub of why that was fairly quickly...which I earlier said was an 'interesting' and enlightening to me anyhow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

Is this repeated some day during the week?

Advertisement