Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭zeebre12

Car99 wrote: »
    She says direct provision is no life but shes got three kids and herself being looked after by a state which never even knew she existed until she arrived in dublin airport on an indirect flight. She is now in a position where she is on a degree course in one of our top universities studying and her three kids getting a good education . Who looks after the kids while shes studying.
    What did she expect before she arrived? I'm not saying she has a great life but she has a life and a future thanks to Ireland. I didnt get any sense of gratitude from her but more a sense of entitlement.
    And here is me working the arse off myself to psy to get my children through college and she swans in and has everything paid for her. It doesn't make sense.

The obvious question was your mum has asylum in Canada. Why not go there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,970 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I only came over to say something nice about BO'C.

It'll keep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

I think there should be a good open t.v. debate about people arriving here seeking asylum though. Obviously there are genuine people but there are a lot of chancers too. People might understand the process and it’s complexities better afterwards. It might allay suspicions. Like how some of them arrive here from countries that there are no direct flights from as has already been said.

Oh I agree with your first sentence. (On phone so could not bold). One reason I say they come here or Canada is English speaking. Was wondering why not go to Canada.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

baldbear wrote: »
    Rejected then the appeal process. That's why there are people so long in the system.

I wonder why she chose ireland over let's say UK where there are direct flights?

Well if she was appealing her asylum rejection in the UK do you think they would be paying fornher to get a university degree?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

I think there should be a good open t.v. debate about people arriving here seeking asylum though. Obviously there are genuine people but there are a lot of chancers too. People might understand the process and it’s complexities better afterwards. It might allay suspicions. Like how some of them arrive here from countries that there are no direct flights from as has already been said.

An 'open tv debate' ??
    Dream on Tayto ......;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,469 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Watched the whole thing on +1, when the third guest revealed themselves I could nearly write the posts here myself, good old Boards never change, just dissapointed no one here was foaming at the mouth when the embalmer mentioned environmentally friendly cremations.

, just dissapointed no one here was at the mouth when the embalmer mentioned environmentally friendly cremations.

I kind of was..

• Registered Users Posts: 639 ✭✭✭rodders999

I kind of was..

So was the person being cremated.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Whichever side you come down on about that last interview, I think all would agree that RTE shouldn't be infecting Tommy's great show with their tired old political bias. This week it is an asylum seeker complaining about the full board that is offered in Ireland, next week it could be two gay people with their surrogate born baby. Tommy doesn't need to have political stuff shoehorned into his show. It will ruin it.
    Stick to entertainment / sports / quirky things.

we're not all that stupid dude, some of us like more than 3 things

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Whether people like it or not the asylum issue will have to be debated. As the current system is not fit for purpose and the costs incurred by the state are astronomical.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,017 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

C__MC wrote: »
    Or Darcy

tubs told cuba gooding jar his story was a "cracker"

"a what now?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Watched the whole thing on +1, when the third guest revealed themselves I could nearly write the posts here myself, good old Boards never change, just dissapointed no one here was foaming at the mouth when the embalmer mentioned environmentally friendly cremations.

Strangely enough, i could have exactly predicted your post too..!!
    The old reliables for sure... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,410 ✭✭✭✭road_high

We've lots to offer. It's far from perfect, but it's a lovely country to live in, to grow up in. The people are also very welcoming. It might not look like that here on Bogger Stormfront, but most people are sound. :)

In other words the Irish are a soft touch and a bit thick to the ways of the world. This is economic migration in the guise of asylum seeking. Nothing more and should be called what it is- especially once the rigorous process has rejected an asylum application.
    I’ve zero time for any of this state sponsored propaganda, I wouldn’t even waste my time watching this as I’ve seen the script dozens of times now - we have rules and due process for good reason. I’m sure if this individual or any other doesn’t like that they can hop along elsewhere more amenable

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Whether people like it or not the asylum issue will have to be debated. As the current system is not fit for purpose and the costs incurred by the state are astronomical.

The only reform it needs is immediate deportation on rejection without leave to appeal at our expense. If this loophole was removed the numbers in backlog and new applications would drop considerably. We can’t afford to be taking in all these people with random unverified sob stories not of our making.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭mycro2013

Love to see it happen. But unlikely. Should Ireland adopt the Australian model. Alot of islands uninhabited off the coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

road_high wrote: »
    In other words the Irish are a soft touch and a bit thick to the ways of the world.

No, just decent. Which must sicken racists like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,348 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Jesus how education has changed since the embalmer was in school

Just ring up and go for an interview and straight into a career without the worry of points etc

Nothing like that nowadays sadly. All about getting the highest points for the best careers

No, just decent. Which must sicken racists like you.

Go easy on the Ribena juice. Everything is racist with the likes of you- it’s your way of shutting down rational debate and covering up illegal migration which is all this crap is. I’ve seen the script dozens of times now. Vast majority of Irish people are sick of being taken for a ride by these actors

Go on- spell out what is “racist” in one thing I’ve said? Never once mentioned race or skin colour

mycro2013 wrote: »
    Love to see it happen. But unlikely. Should Ireland adopt the Australian model. Alot of islands uninhabited off the coast.

Ireland needs the Australian model ASAP. We can’t afford the current free for all handout and legal gravy train. We owe these people zilch

• Advertisement

Car99 wrote: »
    She says direct provision is no life but shes got three kids and herself being looked after by a state which never even knew she existed until she arrived in dublin airport on an indirect flight. She is now in a position where she is on a degree course in one of our top universities studying and her three kids getting a good education . Who looks after the kids while shes studying.
    What did she expect before she arrived? I'm not saying she has a great life but she has a life and a future thanks to Ireland. I didnt get any sense of gratitude from her but more a sense of entitlement.

And you won’t- its virtually unheard of that they thank the generosity and help of the Irish taxpayer- the script is to complain and bark orders at us as to what they should be given. Absolutely nuts and illustrates how far we’ve lost control of migration

Tommy is such a warm man. I think he could be my favourite person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

I wouldn't be a fan of Brendan but I found that a great interview. The second lady was interesting alright. I don't get why the third lady was on it, she couldn't talk about her application but went on a talk show with a man who could ask anything. In Fairness to Tommy he delt with it very well. But I am at a loss still surly been on the show could effect her stay. Or is that what she wants to get the public behind her.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭Field east

iano.p wrote: »
    I wouldn't be a fan of Brendan but I found that a great interview. The second lady was interesting alright. I don't get why the third lady was on it, she couldn't talk about her application but went on a talk show with a man who could ask anything. In Fairness to Tommy he delt with it very well. But I am at a loss still surly been on the show could effect her stay. Or is that what she wants to get the public behind her.

One of the core skills of the late Marion F was to ask the questions that the general Joe Soap wanted asked. TT did not do a lot of drilling down late nite. She side tracked him by saying that she cannot say anything about the reasons for leaving. He did not ask her the following which would give us some idea of ‘who’ she is. Eg
    Why did her mother go to Cana da. Did she bring anyone with her . What about her father. Did he go with her. What kind of business was her family in back in Zimbabwe. What are her qualifications to date. What jobs did she hold down in her own country. How many brothers/ sisters has she and what are they doin and where. She could have had 10 children and there still was not one mention about the fatherS. There never is. I could go on and on.
    She apparently has no money problems because if she had she would have got a job in Ireland to save some money, pay for child minding , etc - seems to be a very articulate and capable lady with excellent English.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,967 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tell the British that.
    Not just the British - it has been a huge worldwide success, Australia, NZ, translated into many languages, he had a fight with the Russian authorities over inclusion of the gay characters.

I can't stand the show, but it has been a massive worldwide media success.

coastwatch wrote: »
    This is dire, awful format., all about Tommy and how great he thinks he is.
    Couldn't disagree more - the absolute reverse of what you said is true.

KevRossi wrote: »
    Yeah, it's a better programme when they are hardly known quirky etc. He knows O'Carroll well and we've heard all O'Carroll's stories multiple times before.
    In fairness, Tommy's interview was quite different to anything else.

I always thought you had to seek asylum In the first country you arrived in.
    You always thought wrong.

She's well versed and coached in the finances line. He interrupted her there but she pressed through with her point about the cost of asylum centres. That's good coaching.
    She seems like an educated woman.
    Scary huh? Worst nightmare for some - an educated, literate, eloquent female, black asylum seeker.

I also get the impression she wont. But likewise, she strikes me as more of an economic migrant than someone whose life is in danger if she didn't get to Ireland and that interview asked no important questions.
    Was probably rejected from the UK already. We're a bit of a soft touch.

Gas that the mother fûcked off to Canada in 2002 and left everyone behind. Obviously wasn't too concerned for the safety of her daughter!!
    Gas how many people can conjure up their own back story based on nothing but their own twisted imagination.

Whichever side you come down on about that last interview, I think all would agree that RTE shouldn't be infecting Tommy's great show with their tired old political bias. This week it is an asylum seeker complaining about the full board that is offered in Ireland, next week it could be two gay people with their surrogate born baby. Tommy doesn't need to have political stuff shoehorned into his show. It will ruin it.
    Stick to entertainment / sports / quirky things.
    1979 called. They want you to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭newcavanman

Field east wrote: »
    One of the core skills of the late Marion F was to ask the questions that the general Joe Soap wanted asked. TT did not do a lot of drilling down late nite. She side tracked him by saying that she cannot say anything about the reasons for leaving. He did not ask her the following which would give us some idea of ‘who’ she is. Eg
    Why did her mother go to Cana da. Did she bring anyone with her . What about her father. Did he go with her. What kind of business was her family in back in Zimbabwe. What are her qualifications to date. What jobs did she hold down in her own country. How many brothers/ sisters has she and what are they doin and where. She could have had 10 children and there still was not one mention about the fatherS. There never is. I could go on and on.
    She apparently has no money problems because if she had she would have got a job in Ireland to save some money, pay for child minding , etc - seems to be a very articulate and capable lady with excellent English.
    Dont kid yourself about Marian F. She only ever asked a tough question when it suited her agenda . She had several asylum seekers and their supporters on, over the years, and there were never , ever any akward questions . Marian was a fully paid up member of the establishment, always in favour of housing the homeless or refugees, just not next door to her

• Registered Users Posts: 68,829 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Another very enjoyable show.
    I think what people need to realise is that this format is not going for the crash bang wallop kitschness of Norton, nor the celeb led gush fests of Tubridy. Rather it is focusing on the ordinary to a large degree, which is refreshing as far as I am concerned.
    Great piece of music at the end yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,619 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Brendan's points about happiness were spot on ; happiness is what you make it and you often have to step way outside your comfort zone to find it.

Repeated setbacks in life can be a very good thing and not a negative, you're learning all the time. Live in the moment, it's all about the journey. It's hard to disagree with him

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Not a fan of Brendan but thought he came across well compared to his usual interviews and the embalmer was really interesting a much better show than last week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

Another good show last night. All the established talkshows have lost any bit of "realness" they used to have back in the day. It's very much a polished product that they are selling, or in the case of the current Late Late Show, a highly polished turd.

Tommy's show reminds you of a time when quare hawks would come on every so often and would just get honest questions thrown at them. Simple format, but very effective.

Advertisement