Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

That was brilliant. Fair play to him.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Is the guy on the guitar alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

Lisa Hannigan, Mick Flannery and the Murder Capital...

He even has better music than Tubridy.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm going to watch the Molly's Game tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ah, The Murder Capital. Love these guys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82,560 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Hopefully the lead singer was checked for weapons, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Thought that was Elvis Costello for a second.

These are horrendous, barely music, but this audience bit is entertaining at least, purely for the look of discomfort on them all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

Is this fella on some of the stuff the previous fella gave up?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

They should have called that song less is more, mother of jesus WTF is that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Weird band.The bass player is wild.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Straffan1979

Brilliant from Tommy - Gaybo was the master in just letting the guests be the show and it’s not lost on Tommy ... Tubridy , Darcy & The Plank Kenny take note

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Best episode of the series.

And one of the most engaging pieces of telly I have watched in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

Great show but this ‘music section’ is ****e... ☹️
    Or else I’m getting really REALLY old! 🥺

Glad to see them doing well. I saw them about 18 months with about five other people in the audience and they gave it everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

That was an uplifting program...it is how the LLS should be done. One has to come to the conclusion the problem with the LLS is the presenter...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Tommy is a great listener. He gives the guest space to speak. Tubridy would be interjecting every 10 seconds and hurrying to get the interview done.

The camera work is very effective too though. There are very few spanning shots during the interview. It's all close-up, shoulders up, when they're saying huge things.
    Extremely pointed.
    Not taking away from the interview content though. Great interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

twirlagig wrote: »
    Great show but this ‘music section’ is ****e... ☹️
    Or else I’m getting really REALLY old! 🥺

Agree. Less is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,339 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Tommy’s show really is a hidden gem in the RTE schedule. Can’t imagine Angela Scanlon will be an improvement when she takes over in early March.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

RobertKK wrote: »
    That was an uplifting program...it is how the LLS should be done. One has to come to the conclusion the problem with the LLS is the presenter...

The format of this is better though. Even if he does know something about the guest, the whole premise is to find out who they are so that involves letting them speak.

Tubridy loves the sound of his own voice and always seems in such a rush to finish an interview.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,374 ✭✭✭twirlagig

RobertKK wrote: »

Totally agree. I used always watch the LLS, probably due to the weekly threads here. I hardly tune in anymore... I read on here what the lineup is and I tend to just not watch... pity really, it could, potentially, be a great show.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I can't remember ever feeling as emotional watching a TV show as that interview, it's nice to hear a good news story like that, powerful stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭Call me Al

Wheety wrote: »
    The format of this is better though. Even if he does know something about the guest, the whole premise is to find out who they are so that involves letting them speak.

Tubridy loves the sound of his own voice and always seems in such a rush to finish an interview.
    Tubridy seems to be too well researched. He has his talking points and is determined to follow them, so often there's no natural flow. His questions and style don't allow the guest to talk for too long.

I think if Tiernan hosted the Late Late Show he'd become more sanitized. I think the two shows have two totally different core audiences. He wouldn't get away with saying some of the stuff he does on his own show.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Be right back

Fair play to James for turning his life around.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Brilliant, loved this interview from both sides ,well done and wishing you continued success for the future

I think if Tiernan hosted the Late Late Show he'd become more sanitized. I think the two shows have two totally different core audiences. He wouldn't get away with saying some of the stuff he does on his own show.

There's some truth to that, but I could never ever imagine Tubridy presenting Tommy's show with even half the empathy that Tommy always shows.

He is fantastic at listening, letting the guest speak and asking interesting questions: y'know, the basics. I think he could still make it work without saying anything outrageous.

The quality of that last interview was amazing. In fairness, the fella was an outstanding speaker - he had great charisma - but Tommy just let it all play out so naturally.

I was only half watching at the start, but I got sucked into it and, fck it, I was in tears by the end. And there was no mawkish shyte about it, even when the presenter had tears in his eyes, or moralising. And the final point, about how every poor wretched fcker we see on the street is also a human being, was obvious, but it felt almost profound after hearing everything through the guest's mouth. That is how you do it.

Tubridy wouldn't have had it in him in a million years.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭steves2

I had tears in my eyes listening to that guy, I thought about all the times I judged someone who was a junkie. It goes to show none of them are beyond saving.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

I'm not sure why people are so surprised that Tommy Tiernan is good at this. The bar is so low at this stage that anybody would be an improvement over both Tubridy and D'Arcy. And look at the US and UK TV entertainment shows - all hosted by comedians. It's very simple, give the job to a person with a proven track record for entertaining people and making them laugh.

And what do RTE give us on their flagship "entertainment" show?

batman-the-bookworm-turns-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭applehunter

Molly Bloom.

Interesting name.

Would have been an interesting question.

Advertisement