Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Missed the first interview but don't think I'd have been too bothered. Rest of the show was great though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,805 ✭✭✭take everything

I was going to say who are these eejits when The Murder Capital came on but I dunno, they may not be that bad. I'm probably just getting old.

They're postpunk, they seem to have a Joy Division/Therapy thing going on. That into the audience bit was a bit cringy but I'd say we'll be hearing more from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,033 ✭✭✭applehunter

We never needed injection centres when there was no heron in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I was going to say who are these eejits when The Murder Capital came on but I dunno, they may not be that bad. I'm probably just getting old.

They're postpunk, they seem to have a Joy Division/Therapy thing going on. That into the audience bit was a bit cringy but I'd say we'll be hearing more from them.

They're pretty big already. Their album went to Number Two here on release and made the Top 20 in The UK.

One of the best bands in the country. For jaysus sake, you'd think it was death metal the way ye've been going on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,075 ✭✭✭Jeff2

That was an interesting show and well presented.

Fair play to James as others have said.

A close friend of mine died before Christmas from Hep-c cought from needle and was a heroin addict but off it for while before.

• Advertisement

We never needed injection centres when there was no heroin in Cork.

Well now you can catch up with Dublin.

Jeff2 wrote: »
    Well now you can catch up with Dublin.

I don’t think you get it.

Heroin was kept out of Cork while it was ravaging Dublin.

I don’t think you get it.

Heroin was kept out of Cork while it was ravaging Dublin.

You are wrong.

The guy in the show speaking is from Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought they were quite good. I checked their website. They tour all over the world.
    You are wrong.

Not in the 80s and 90s.

You are wrong.

Yes, and he emphasised my point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Fair play to James for turning his life around.

He was awesome. So inspiring.
    He should e brought into every second level school to speak to students because he's so real and relatable.
    Tommy Tiernan excelled with that interview.
    I wish they'd keep Tommy and forget Angela Scanlon or whoever else they're rolling out.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 33,594 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Watched it back on the player.

Molly was interesting but James stole the show, fantastic example.
    I deliberately skipped past Hansard cos I can't stand him.

TT did well again tonight, just the right amount of questions and can sit back for minutes at a time and let the person speak and tell their story, which is what we want.

Molly Bloom is Jewish.

Arghus wrote: »
    They're pretty big already. Their album went to Number Two here on release and made the Top 20 in The UK.

One of the best bands in the country. For jaysus sake, you'd think it was death metal the way ye've been going on here.

It’s worse than death metal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I switched off early because I cannot bear to listen to that absolute creep Glen Hansard. Sounds like I missed a good show.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Box09

Brilliant show last night. Well done to all involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Ikozma

Tommy would be ideal for the late late show

Tommy going to the Late Late would be like when the big sponsors took over Wayne’s World.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

I switched off early because I cannot bear to listen to that absolute creep Glen Hansard. Sounds like I missed a good show.

Hah?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

Powerful interview

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Every time Glen Hansard is on a show the "I hate GH" club comes out of the woodwork.

I suppose he committed the mortal sin for an Irish musician - being successful.

As for the band at the end I thought they suited the show perfectly - they were unexpected.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Just watched it now. I enjoyed that. That all three guests were good although Molly Bloom was my favorite. Amazing story. Can't believe I have not seen the movie. Will have to watch it. Might even buy it on Blu-Ray if I can.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

How many episodes is there is this season does anyone know? That was the 4th one last night and just wondering is there many left.

AMKC wrote: »
    Just watched it now. I enjoyed that. That all three guests were good although Molly Bloom was my favorite. Amazing story. Can't believe I have not seen the movie. Will have to watch it. Might even buy it on Blu-Ray if I can.

It’s on Amazon Prime if you have it. Going to watch it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

elperello wrote: »
    Every time Glen Hansard is on a show the "I hate GH" club comes out of the woodwork.

As for the band at the end I thought they suited the show perfectly - they were unexpected.

I'd agree with you to a certain extent. I met him for a few minutes before Xmas and had a grand chat with him. The only problem I'd have is he seems to be a bit of a one trick pony. Raglan Road, Rocky Road and the Old Triangle, as good as they are, get a bit tired after a while. Many have tried and failed to emulate Luke Kelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

elperello wrote: »

Nah, it's the fact that he had a teenage girlfriend when he was pushing 40.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,150 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Glen Hansard sang Rocky Road To Dublin much better than the slaughtering it got from Damien Demsey on the Late Late Show last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,654 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Bummer1234 wrote: »
    How many episodes is there is this season does anyone know? That was the 4th one last night and just wondering is there many left.

8 episodes total, it finishes up on Feb 29th

Tommy’s show really is a hidden gem in the RTE schedule. Can’t imagine Angela Scanlon will be an improvement when she takes over in early March.

Scanlon spoke about her upcoming show a few days back.
    Angela Scanlon is set to join RTE's primetime Saturday night line-up from March - and her new show has a twist.

'Angela Scanlon's Ask Me Anything' promises to feature 'surprises and unexpected revelations' for guests who have agreed to be asked about 'absolutely anything'. Angela (36), who is originally from Meath but is based in the UK where she primarily works for the BBC, will present an eight-week run of the entertainment show on Saturday nights at 9.40pm.

She announced the news to her fans on social media. "It’s something I’ve wanted to do for AGES & I can’t quite believe it’s happening..." she wrote.
    "We’ve been working away for the past couple of months trying to create a show that I wish already existed (although probably lucky it doesn’t!)."

She added, "I can’t promise Oprah but I’m trying to have a house kitten on set (ginger obviously), I’ll keep you posted on that xx"
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/tv-news/ask-me-anything-angela-scanlons-new-saturday-night-show-to-air-from-march-38889101.html

It'll be a different show from Tommys but Id be willing to give it a chance. Scanlon is a presenter on The One Show so the BBC clearly think she has some talent and at least she has gone and proved herself up somewhere other than RTE.

Aside from that the other options for presenters of the show were pretty bleak- Kathryn Thomas Doirean Garrihy and Stephanie Presiner did screen tests for it but Scanlon got the nod. So while Scanlon may not make such a compelling show as Tommy we can thank our lucky stars we're not getting any of the other three RTE canteeners.

Scanlon seems a good egg from what I've seen of her. Saw her on 'Would I Lie to You?' a while back and she was great.

Assuming RTE doesn't handcuff her, the show has great potential.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭elperello

sligojoek wrote: »
    I'd agree with you to a certain extent. I met him for a few minutes before Xmas and had a grand chat with him. The only problem I'd have is he seems to be a bit of a one trick pony. Raglan Road, Rocky Road and the Old Triangle, as good as they are, get a bit tired after a while. Many have tried and failed to emulate Luke Kelly.

I never met him but he seems like a decent skin.
    He is 50 years of age and he's paid his dues to the music.
    As far as I'm concerned he has earned the right to sing what he likes.

We don't own guys like him. You go to the gig or you don't.
    Not sure about one trick pony if you look at the totality of his career.

I agree there was only one Luke Kelly but he was a generous man and loved the songs.

Poor Luke was only 44 when he left us.

Advertisement