Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

Muahahaha wrote: »
    8 episodes total, it finishes up on Feb 29th

Thank God it’s a Leap Year! :D

Muahahaha wrote: »
    It'll be a different show from Tommys but Id be willing to give it a chance. Scanlon is a presenter on The One Show so the BBC clearly think she has some talent and at least she has gone and proved herself up somewhere other than RTE.

Aside from that the other options for presenters of the show were pretty bleak- Kathryn Thomas Doirean Garrihy and Stephanie Presiner did screen tests for it but Scanlon got the nod. So while Scanlon may not make such a compelling show as Tommy we can thank our lucky stars we're not getting any of the other three RTE canteeners.

I agree, and I’ll give Angela Scanlon a chance.

BTW, I’ve heard of Kathryn alright, but who on earth are Doireann and Stephanie? I do, it must be said, lead a quiet life.

Priessner would be the only bearable one out of the three anyway. Garrihy is as insufferable as Thomas is smug.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just caught up with the episode from last night. Absolutely brilliant. It's a great show and Tommy is good at just allowing guests to speak without interrupting him because he needs to tick off questions on a cue card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

Glen Hansard sang Rocky Road To Dublin much better than the slaughtering it got from Damien Demsey on the Late Late Show last year.

Unfair comparison, as Glen Hansard can sing. :D

Anyway, just watched the show, and like last week loved it.
    It's refreshing to watch a chat show, without expecting the host to f**k it up.
    Will be interesting to see, what Angela does.

Hansard was good
    Molly was great
    James was inspirational and great craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

monkey9 wrote: »
    Just caught up with the episode from last night. Absolutely brilliant. It's a great show and Tommy is good at just allowing guests to speak without interrupting him because he needs to tick off questions on a cue card.

Its fundamentally not about ticking off a list of set questions.

The difference is that TT can think on his feet, and judge how the interview is going and the mood.

Tubs simply hasn't got that skill. He can't improvise on the spot, go off script and have a chat. And because of this lack of ability, the interviews have to follow a set of questions.

I think the LLS is slowing dying. Tubs is a bad fit for host, maybe the Toy Show is what he's best at, but thats only once per year!

I genuinely think the LLS show would be better with TT as host, although I'm not sure he'd ever get that gig. Its Ireland flagship show and if they ever want to see top stars appear on it again, rather than RTE staff and Z Listers, and indeed make it entertainment again, then they need a more natural host.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭crazyguy01

For me last night was the best show this year, for the first 3 I lost interest with at least one guest, and felt TT did too sometimes. He seemed interested with all 3 last night and that showed in his interaction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Great show, who ever picks the guest done a great job tonight, all 3 were very interesting and Tommy knew when to chat and when to just let them run with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Tommy is a very good listener and has a lot of empathy with his guests.

There are probably British TV executives who have heard of this show and who wouldn't mind replicating it, but finding a suitable host would be very difficult.....I'd hazard a guess that 90%+ of TV presenters wouldn't be up to the job (wouldn't have Tommy's people skills and active listening skills).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Does anybody know who came up with the idea?
    Is it an original concept or is that format used elsewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

What I've been racking my brain is , How did anyone in RTE think of getting this Molly Bloom girl on the show , she was excellent probably the best and most interesting guest I've seen on an RTE talk show and the guy afterwards was just as good

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I heard she was in Dublin for the Pendulum Summit, probably nabbed her when she was in town.

But agree, it was a great idea to get her. I wonder who is in charge of getting guests on to the LLS? Most of their job seems to entail walking into the RTE canteen of a Friday morning and roaring out "any of you folk wanna be on the LLS tonight?"

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Very good show. Tommy's ability to say nothing, to encourage a guest to expand further on what they are saying, is fantastic. Something that Louis Thereoux also does in his documentaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭Storm 10

NIMAN wrote: »
    I heard she was in Dublin for the Pendulum Summit, probably nabbed her when she was in town.

But agree, it was a great idea to get her. I wonder who is in charge of getting guests on to the LLS? Most of their job seems to entail walking into the RTE canteen of a Friday morning and roaring out "any of you folk wanna be on the LLS tonight?"

And of course "had ye any deaths over the last few days ye want to talk about"

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭TheCitizen

elperello wrote: »
    Does anybody know who came up with the idea?
    Is it an original concept or is that format used elsewhere?

I think it's a cod. I think Tommy is doing a good job pretending that he doesn't know who the guest is going to be.

I like the show anyway, the concept is a gimmick to attract interest which is no harm as it makes it different than other talking head shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,655 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

The Indos tv critic Pat Stacey gave it the thumbs up last October. Stacey is usually on the money when it comes to tv and is one of RTEs biggest critics
    Pat Stacey: More Tommy, less Ray? Good call, RTE
    OPINION: Tommy Tiernan's unique chat show deserves to be showcased

D’Arcy’s show may not be getting the chop, but it’s being chopped back significantly. The current run will end in December; last year, it ran on into March. This is actually the second time the show has had its episode number cut. When it started in 2015, it ran from autumn to the following May — a ludicrously long season for any show.

That said, even six months a year was still far too long a time for a chat show to be on air, especially one that frequently struggles to attract decent guests and relies far too often — as does The Late Late Show — on RTE personalities plugging other upcoming RTE shows.

The show’s replacement in the Saturday night slot from January is The Tommy Tiernan Show, which returns for a 10-week run. This is overwhelmingly good news for viewers. When Tiernan’s show first came on air in 2017, I was one of the people who questioned whether there was any point to a chat show in which the host doesn’t know who their guests are until they walk onto the set. I’m genuinely happy to have been proved 100pc wrong.

The Tommy Tiernan Show has turned out to be an absolute delight, a blast of fresh air that’s blown the cobwebs off RTE’s stale Saturday night schedule, and its host is a revelation in the role. We’ve known for many years that Tiernan is a brilliant comedian, a very capable actor, and a highly intelligent and perceptive man. But nobody could have guessed at his consummate skill as an interviewer.

His interview with Paul McGrath, a lovely man but, by his own admission, a troubled soul, was the best I’ve ever seen. Even McGrath, who’s uncomfortable with the spotlight, admitted he’d enjoyed it enormously.

Tiernan clearly cares about people, whoever they are, and is genuinely interested in finding out about them. Unlike a lot of chat show hosts, he listens rather than reacts. You can see the concentration in his face.

The less familiar Tiernan is with a guest, the more focused he becomes on finding out who they are and what they have to say. It’s a joy to watch.
    https://www.independent.ie/entertainment/television/pat-stacey-more-tommy-less-ray-good-call-rte-38626999.html

• Registered Users Posts: 729 ✭✭✭Granadino

Very good again at the weekend, though the Murder Capital spot was a bit cringe worthy. Like a 6th year band trying to stick it to the man...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ended up watching the film last night about her, absolutely excellent well worth checking out

Well that takes a bit of magic out of Saturday night for this viewer.

Nothing against Sinead or Tommy but I liked not knowing who would be on.

So..ya went mad..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Gas story from John Bishop.

Its like two drunk mates talking ****e down in the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Why is Tommy not doing the late late? It's a disgrace at this point, this interview with John Bishop is excellent, just natural conversation.

Why is Tommy not doing the late late? It's a disgrace at this point, this interview with John Bishop is excellent, just natural conversation.

They expect him to change too much and ruin him if he moved to that show. They already couldn’t help themselves messing around with this one with the O’Connor stuff during the week.
    Let’s be glad we have a decent one to watch instead of the LLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Very very good interview.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Tommy should have been a therapist.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

This is genuinely one of the best interviews on rte in recent memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Tommy has the same T-Shirt as myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭donkeykong5

Late late is live. This one is prerecorded.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Interesting interview with John Bishop, one of the good ones.

• Advertisement

Something bothering me from the start.

I have it now, it's unnatural two stand up men sitting down.

Advertisement