Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Even if he does know the guests in advance it's still a unique type of chat show. Even the most famous of all chat show host Johnny Carson had a predetermined set of questions for 99%of his guests. I'm sure Gay Byrne, wogan etc were the same. Credit to rte in this instance, they have hit on a winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

It's definitely in my top 20 lighthouses.
    Whats your top 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,606 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Whats your top 3?

That's a tough one. It's a top 5 that's in a constant state of flux.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

That's a tough one. It's a top 5 that's in a constant state of flux.

Wouldn't fancy being in a lighthouse in a constant state of flux :eek:

Great show again T!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,606 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Wouldn't fancy being in a lighthouse in a constant state of flux :eek:

Great show again T!

Ok well Fastnet is #1. Pick two from the other 4 though....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭generalgerry

gigantic09 wrote: »
    Even if he does know the guests in advance it's still a unique type of chat show. Credit to rte in this instance, they have hit on a winner.

As I've said before, It is ridiculous how long it has taken RTE to follow the same formula as every other popular late night show - i.e. get somebody entertaining to present the damned thing - i.e. a comedian.

Somehow, through no competence on the part of anybody in RTE, they have found something that works. RTE, who have done their best to give us the least naturally suited people for live TV to present their live TV shows. An organisation that prides itself on putting round pegs in square holes.

Fire Tubridy, give TT the Late Late Show, and put Brendan O'Connor back on Saturday night, and find some way to get D'Arcy off the books altogether.

I don't think that it's that he's a comedian that makes this show work..

I think it's the honesty and sort of genuineness of the questions, and the lack of ego..

There probably aren't that many in the aspiring celebrity circles around RTE that could pull it off..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Haven't watched in a while, missed John Bishop but got Sinead and Marty. It was a pleasure to listen to both and that's from someone who loathes GAA. Sinead I love the voice and emotion weaved in it. I know she has and has had issues but she is an incredible talent.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭gigantic09

As I've said before, It is ridiculous how long it has taken RTE to follow the same formula as every other popular late night show - i.e. get somebody entertaining to present the damned thing - i.e. a comedian.

Somehow, through no competence on the part of anybody in RTE, they have found something that works. RTE, who have done their best to give us the least naturally suited people for live TV to present their live TV shows. An organisation that prides itself on putting round pegs in square holes.

Fire Tubridy, give TT the Late Late Show, and put Brendan O'Connor back on Saturday night, and find some way to get D'Arcy off the books altogether.

There's more to a chat show than just the presenter though. I'm sure Norton and Jimmy Fallon for example have a big team of comedy/sketch writers working on their shows. Rte wouldn't have the budget for this and anyway probably can't afford the A list stars who in most instances are just on anyway to promote something. I've seen a few bits of Brendan ó Connors monologues at the beginning of his show and thought the writing was brutal. Tommy doesn't need any sketch writers given the nature of the show. He doesn't need A listers either in fact I'd say most would be scared sh1tless of this format. I'd love to see Tubridy on as a guest to see could Tiernan knock any craic out of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Very enjoyable show, John Bishop is a real decent skin. Just a pity Sinead didnt sing a proper song, I always love hearing her voice.

Just copped that they seem to have dropped the comedy sketches of the three single farmers that Tommy did mid show with Patrick o'Donnell and John Colleary. Pity that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭kegg

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Very enjoyable show, John Bishop is a real decent skin. Just a pity Sinead didnt sing a proper song, I always love hearing her voice.

Just copped that they seem to have dropped the comedy sketches o4f the three single farmers that Tommy did mid show with Patrick o'Donnell and John Colleary. Pity that.

The gusset brothers?

I didn’t watch at all because I knew O’Connor was going to be on, but I might go back and watch the Bishop bit as it sounds like it was very good.

Tommy and his team have established this show as it's 'own thing'. It shouldn't be compared to anything, because there isn't anything quite like it.
    To compare it to Norton would be like comparing Hello to Time magazine, to compare it to the Late Late Show is like comparing a box of Smarties to a bar of rich satisfying Green & Blacks dark chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,356 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

It's a brilliant show but possibly a little lost on a Saturday night. The comedy sketches I didn't like so happy they are gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

This is genuinely one of the best interviews on rte in recent memory.

Well said Mrs Tiernan!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,448 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Well said Mrs Tiernan!

I don't think I'd make a good wife.

What was wrong with what I said?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

mickdw wrote: »
    It's a brilliant show but possibly a little lost on a Saturday night. The comedy sketches I didn't like so happy they are gone.

How is it lost on a Saturday night?

Also most people, like myself just watch it when they want.

Watching it back now. The Bishop interview is very good.

Would never get 3 interviews like that on another talk show here. Marty Morrissey was brilliant. Could you imagine the cartoon character he’d be on the LLS or Darcy?

• Registered Users Posts: 51,886 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Marty Morrissey!!!
    Thank fcuk I missed it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,972 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Marty Morrissey!!!
    Thank fcuk I missed it.

Your loss, seriously.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

murpho999 wrote: »
    How is it lost on a Saturday night?

Also most people, like myself just watch it when they want.

It's probably because people complain about the late late being full of misery while Tiernans show is like him being the guests shrink.

I don't know why he has to act so "timid". It's like he's afraid of asking a question for fear of upsetting someone.

elperello wrote: »
    Your loss, seriously.

Definitely. I wouldn’t normally have wanted to see him at all but it was excellent.

It's probably because people complain about the late late being full of misery while Tiernans show is like him being the guests shrink.

I don't know why he has to act so "timid". It's like he's afraid of asking a question for fear of upsetting someone.

He lets them talk rather than the slot being one big advertisement.

He lets them talk rather than the slot being one big advertisement.

The late late show has been going 50+ years and runs a longer season and has a longer show.

Also the late late at least tries to be entertaining. If Tubridy brought on Marty like Tiernan and asking him the them kind of things the late late would get more hate.

Also Tiernan never challenges his guest. He had Hansard on saying Brendan Ogle was a great guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,972 ✭✭✭✭elperello

The late late show has been going 50+ years and runs a longer season and has a longer show.

Also the late late at least tries to be entertaining. If Tubridy brought on Marty like Tiernan and asking him the them kind of things the late late would get more hate.

Also Tiernan never challenges his guest. He had Hansard on saying Brendan Ogle was a great guy.

You are right about the LLS it's an institution. A different beast.

Tommy's show is a bit more edgy.

Tommy is drawing out rather than challenging. If GH thinks BO is a great guy that's what he thinks, live with it. Do you expect Tommy to spend 5 minutes of the interview trying to change his mind?

Marty Morrissey!!!
    Thank fcuk I missed it.

Marty actually came across very well. Doesn't take himself seriously in the slightest which was my impression of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

There is no magic formula validating Tiernan's capacity as a host. Put simply he is a people person who isn't afraid of the odd silence. He is also irreverent enough to take his guests out of their comfort zone without offending.

This is in complete contrast to the robotic style of Tubridy or D'Arcy.

Aidric wrote: »
    There is no magic formula validating Tiernan's capacity as a host. Put simply he is a people person who isn't afraid of the odd silence. He is also irreverent enough to take his guests out of their comfort zone without offending.

This is in complete contrast to the robotic style of Tubridy or D'Arcy.

Are you expecting Tubridy or D'arcy to have the same kind of show?

Tiernans show is a depressfest.

As for someone I saw say Tiernans show is better because it's not an advertisement, Molly Bloom came on and the first thing she did was play a clip from her movie.

Also don't forget Tiernans show is pre recorded so all the ****e bits are taken out.

• Advertisement

Are you expecting Tubridy or D'arcy to have the same kind of show?

Tiernans show is a depressfest.

As for someone I saw say Tiernans show is better because it's not an advertisement, Molly Bloom came on and the first thing she did was play a clip from her movie.

Also don't forget Tiernans show is pre recorded so all the ****e bits are taken out.

:D:D Molly's film has been out since 2017. If it ain't made it's money now, then mentioning it on Tommy's show ain't gonna help it. :D

You have though, put your finger on precisely what is wrong with The LLS and D'arcy. Because the presenters are not able to handle the 'live' aspect, the show's are frequently boring and repetitive. I.E. a good editor might be able to fashion a better show out of them.

Advertisement