Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Blanco100 wrote: »
    Finer things in life me hole. Hes such a pseudo intellectual.

no doubt he will tell us how he enjoys how uniquely "irish" it is.

He's a manufactured caricature.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭laugh

I continue to like the show but I liked it more with slightly lower profile guests.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,048 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

That was an ok show but even at that it was still way better than The Late Late Show.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 247 ✭✭car_radio19834

Still don't know why Tiernan has a look of shock and amazement on his face when a guest is speaking.

I would be rather sure tiernan and michael D know each other rather well also considering both lived in Galway for long periods.

AMKC wrote: »
    That was an ok show but even at that it was still way better than The Late Late Show.

How can you even compare?

Thy don;t even try and capture the same audience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,973 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They definitely are two different concepts.

Tommy has a great show and I find it worth watching.

Why do we have to have the same slagging of the LLS each week on this thread?

The LLS thread is there for all matters related to it.

Still don't know why Tiernan has a look of shock and amazement on his face when a guest is speaking.

I would be rather sure tiernan and michael D know each other rather well also considering both lived in Galway for long periods.

Writer and Toasted Heretic singer Julian Gough used to hang around with Tommy in their college days. He told me Higgins used to call to Tommy for tea and a chat regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

I dont watch this program because I can't stand Tiernan but the mrs had a bit of the episode he did with Hozier on and he said just earlier that day he was looking up the lyrics to a Hozier song. I thought the idea of the program was he didn't know who he was interviewing in advance. Or was it meant it was a "coincidence"?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I dont watch this program because I can't stand Tiernan but the mrs had a bit of the episode he did with Hozier on and he said just earlier that day he was looking up the lyrics to a Hozier song. I thought the idea of the program was he didn't know who he was interviewing in advance. Or was it meant it was a "coincidence"?

I think at this stage it doesn't really matter whether he knows or not.

It is clear from the actual interviews that Tiernan is not operating to a script and is letting the conversations go where they may.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i look up lyrics every day i'm sure the likes of Tommy does too

• Advertisement

Nah I think you need to look up why someone would go on this show.

The Late Late Show would love to have Hozier on again so why did he not go on there? Usually anyone on the late late has a book or show coming up to sell.

My best guess is Tiernan meets these people during gigs or events (like he said he met Hansard at electric picnic or something) and they get talking and he gets them interested in coming on the show as a friends favour. Just like how Michael D was on it as he knows Tiernan rather well.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Remind me

Nah I think you need to look up why someone would go on this show.

The Late Late Show would love to have Hozier on again so why did he not go on there? Usually anyone on the late late has a book or show coming up to sell.

My best guess is Tiernan meets these people during gigs or events (like he said he met Hansard at electric picnic or something) and they get talking and he gets them interested in coming on the show as a friends favour. Just like how Michael D was on it as he knows Tiernan rather well.

But then you have John Bishop who was working with him a few weeks before the recording, knowing he was going on and having to keep his mouth shut.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

sligojoek wrote: »
    Writer and Toasted Heretic singer Julian Gough used to hang around with Tommy in their college days. He told me Higgins used to call to Tommy for tea and a chat regularly.

Tommy mentioned years ago in interviews that they are phone/text friends

Note to producer : book Julian for next season.

Fred Cooke is utterly pointless by the way. I assume he's getting paid by RTE. Probably got in with them since his dancing days.

Fred Cooke is utterly pointless by the way. I assume he's getting paid by RTE. Probably got in with them since his dancing days.

I suppose you could have a disembodied voice announcing guests from the wings to save a few quid but Fred works for me.

He's a kind of ringmaster.

Somebody has to announce them, you couldn't have them trying to do it themselves.

elperello wrote: »
    I suppose you could have a disembodied voice announcing guests from the wings to save a few quid but Fred works for me.

He's a kind of ringmaster.

Somebody has to announce them, you couldn't have them trying to do it themselves.

You could have Tommy just go "now, time to welcome out our next guest" and then everyone waits to see who comes out. Would make it better imo. Tommy could try and tease out who they are by asking questions rather than straight out asking what they do etc.

elperello wrote: »
    Note to producer : book Julian for next season.

Gas man Julian. We were neighbours and friends from 1st class till leaving cert. Last I heard he was in Berlin.

I'm sure Fred Cooke does a warm up act before Tommy comes on

You could have Tommy just go "now, time to welcome out our next guest" and then everyone waits to see who comes out. Would make it better imo. Tommy could try and tease out who they are by asking questions rather than straight out asking what they do etc.

Maybe worth a try but could see it wasting time out of the interview.

Fred shouting out the name makes sure everyone gets it regardless of the personality or voice projection of the guest.

They seem to be flexible with the production so they might try another way in future shows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

Just like how Michael D was on it as he knows Tiernan rather well.

I only saw the Michael D interview.

The strange part is I always thought Tiernan's stand up was more hit than miss.
    But he is great at this especially when he is mates with his guest and the guest is talktative.

The one with Paul McGrath did not go so well as I felt Tommy was minding him.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭Osamabindipper

Love this show,

I wasn't a fan of the first season when Tiernan hadn't a clue who they were.... but now I find it intresting that he will tease out some things that, you feel they are rather uncomfortable talking about. Yes at times you kinda cringe and say fuk sake Tommy your as awkward as shlt but more often then not that's why I enjoy it.. He doesn't pretend to be a genius chat show host he must seems to be genuinely intrested in hearing.

I felt the John Bishop interview could of easily been a 20 minute segment of the two of them taking the mick but it got pretty heavy and very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I felt the John Bishop interview could of easily been a 20 minute segment of the two of them taking the mick but it got pretty heavy and very interesting.

I thought that myself and then Tommy threw in the bit about John's dad in prison. One of the first time I saw Bishop stuck for words for a few seconds. He was amazed Tommy knew it number 1, and secondly he was amazed he asked him the question. It was great because it got to see the serious side of Bishop that is rarely seen.

Tommy's style of interviewing is a lot different than most that is for sure.
    Those long pauses Tommy does where he looks directly at the guest. Is that just Tommy trying to see how the guest reacts? Or is it because he is simply thinking of a question?

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

I thought that myself and then Tommy threw in the bit about John's dad in prison. One of the first time I saw Bishop stuck for words for a few seconds. He was amazed Tommy knew it number 1, and secondly he was amazed he asked him the question. It was great because it got to see the serious side of Bishop that is rarely seen.

Tommy's style of interviewing is a lot different than most that is for sure.
    Those long pauses Tommy does where he looks directly at the guest. Is that just Tommy trying to see how the guest reacts? Or is it because he is simply thinking of a question?

A long pause is a classic interrogation technique. The interviewee feels compelled to fell the silence. I'm not implying Tommy uses the technique in a sinister way it does however generate some incredibly interesting and compelling TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Pádraig Harrington is always very interesting to listen to.

vlcsnap-00646.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Padraig Harrington is always very interesting to listen to.

vlcsnap-00646.jpg

He is actually. Has a rather unique perspective on the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,628 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Now this is a serious litmus test!

Can Tommy make a Padraig interview interesting?

(Nothin but live for Padraig, by the way).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,327 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Love Padraig. A real scholar of the game.

Ireland's greatest sportsman in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,564 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I think you were better off not at the singing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

He is actually. Has a rather unique perspective on the world.

I've heard he has a fine collection of boilers.

Advertisement