Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Im starting to this dislike tommy, telling Nathan carter he seemed sad last night was a bit much, its coming across that he wants everybody to be in someway depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭d8491prj5boyvg

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    Im starting to this dislike tommy, telling Nathan carter he seemed sad last night was a bit much, its coming across that he wants everybody to be in someway depressed.

Agreed. It seems he's chasing the sob story - he knows that getting something raw out of a person is the strength of the show and he goes for it even when it's not on. He was like a lad in a nightclub used to getting the shift, lobbing the gob when the signals weren't there. Completely misread the situation.

It would have been a better effort if he got some craic out of him, get under his skin that way about life on the road and the like. Then the sob story might come out naturally if its there. He also seemed half-engaged, like he wasn't fully listening.

Anyway, I think these are criticisms on the fringes. By and large it is far, far better than any other chat show on the go right now. Long may it continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,759 ✭✭✭✭gormdubhgorm

I must be getting old Bob Geldof's new song is growing on me. Plus I am starting to like Bob's forthright grumpiness more.
    I was thinking to myself Bob would be a great TV host himself if he wanted to do it.
    It would be interesting to see what questions he would ask!

As another poster said Bob's bit about the couple enjoying each others bickering was great. Plus I enjoyed how Bob turned the tables on Tommy when he was asked the silly sex question. Stood up and said what do you want to know Tommy? It was funny how it threw him a bit.

Guff about stuff, and stuff about guff.

Does Tommy have issues himself with depression he seems very hung up on it? Also he seems obsessed with the getting the ride question. Is he not getting enough of it or is he getting too much?

REBELSAFC wrote: »
    He should have demanded a Bob and Nathan duet at the end. "I've got you babe" would've been perfect

I was wondering what sort of chat was going on with Bob and Nathan backstage considering that Bob hates trad music/showbands old Ireland etc.

I would have assumed that the Monk fella and Bob would have got on famously both deep thinkers and well able to shíte talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭iebamm2580

Does Tommy have issues himself with depression he seems very hung up on it? Also he seems obsessed with the getting the ride question. Is he not getting enough of it or is he getting too much?

He must do, always tries to bring out the sad side of guests even when its not there, carter said he drinks 2 nights a week after a show, hardly alcoholic stage. Felt sorry for carter last night, tommy portrayed him as some lonely sad 28 yeartold touring around the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,584 ✭✭✭✭kippy

So he literally just stole the entire song, says a lot when that's "his" most popular hit.

He never claimed it as his own - twas always a cover.
    He's fairly harmless and doing well for himself. But yeah, there does seem to be a small bit of something there that he's not 100 percent happy about.

He must do, always tries to bring out the sad side of guests even when its not there, carter said he drinks 2 nights a week after a show, hardly alcoholic stage. Felt sorry for carter last night, tommy portrayed him as some lonely sad 28 yeartold touring around the country.

I don't think Carter dismissed that reflection.
    That said, we are basing everything of the edited show - would have been interesting to see how the interview panned out live.

I was wondering what sort of chat was going on with Bob and Nathan backstage considering that Bob hates trad music/showbands old Ireland etc.

I would have assumed that the Monk fella and Bob would have got on famously both deep thinkers and well able to shíte talk.

I think someone said it about but Bobs take on grief was really good. Not a big fan of him in general but he definetly had that angle well squared off.
    He mention of grief hitting him at traffic lights or at the most randon times struck a chord with me and his methods of dealing with it have some lessons in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Is Tommy a permanent fixture on that chair he has the exact same pose every week, does he move at all?

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    I think someone said it about but Bobs take on grief was really good. Not a big fan of him in general but he definetly had that angle well squared off.
    He mention of grief hitting him at traffic lights or at the most randon times struck a chord with me and his methods of dealing with it have some lessons in there.

I wonder how he’s getting on with the four migrant families that he was taking in? Four years on he must know them well by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Maz2016

I like Tommy, always have done but didn’t like him interviewing Nathan Carter, was uncalled for. It was a bit cringe and I felt sorry for Nathan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

Personally I thought that was the worst episode, the monk was interesting and he suited Tommy. The other two interviews, it just didn't work

Carter seemed obviously sad way before Tommy said it though. It was as plain as day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Blanco100

Reading between the lines it looked like Carter seemed unfulfilled in his private and also professional life.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Dub Ste

I have his autograph!

Same here.
    Was lucky enough to meet John, Roger and Freddie the day before they played Elland Road in Leeds in 1982.
    Best day of my life........

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭KAMG

Just reading through the comments from the show the other night. I agree with those of you who say that there was a sense of loneliness coming from Nathan Carter prior to Tommy saying what he did. I don't think it was a nice thing for him to say however.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,838 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

If you want the type of show Tiernan is offering here, then he has to be allowed to ask a question like that if he senses something.
    My partner has training and experience in these things and had the same strong sense as Tommy.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Don't know the first thing about Nathan Carter but I feel bad for the fella after that interview.

If he wasn't depressed, he is now

goes to show how it's not his fault all his other interviews are contrived and fake and contribute to an unrealistic profile. He actually seems like a decent bloke. Well done Tommy!

i think the late great Neill Peart said it best...

Living on a lighted stage
    Approaches the unreal
    For those who think and feel
    In touch with some reality
    Beyond the gilded cage
    Cast in this unlikely role
    Ill-equipped to act
    With insufficient tact
    One must put up barriers
    To keep oneself intact
    Living in the limelight
    The universal dream
    For those who wish to seem
    Those who wish to be
    Must put aside the alienation
    Get on with the fascination
    The real relation
    The underlying theme
    Living in a fish eye lens
    Caught in the camera eye
    I have no heart to lie
    I can't pretend a stranger
    Is a long-awaited friend
    All the world's indeed a stage
    And we are merely players
    Performers and portrayers
    Each another's audience
    Outside the gilded cage
    Living in the limelight
    The universal dream
    Those who wish to be
    The real relation
    The underlying theme
    Living in the limelight
    The universal dream
    Those who wish to be
    The real relation
    The underlying theme
    The real relation
    The underlying theme

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

nothing wrong with showing the true reality of fake music and it's hidden horrors.

• Advertisement

If you want the type of show Tiernan is offering here, then he has to be allowed to ask a question like that if he senses something.
    My partner has training and experience in these things and had the same strong sense as Tommy.

Jayus, does he/she manage to sense sadness off ya?
    Or ask if you are happy or if your'e very lucky suddenly say SEX!
    It must be great craic!

nothing wrong with showing the true reality of fake music and it's hidden horrors.

I think there was a pair of them in it. Nathan was a bit (workaholic) odd and Tommy was even more odd. Nathan was not prepared for Tommy's regular odd line of questioning, and Tommy is not able to ask any other questions besides his same line of questioning.

His main tactic is staring the interviewee out of it and trying to 'sense' something as if he is Dr Melfi (Sopranos) with a beard and a Navan accent.

All I could think of when he does the slow stare if he was on public transport I would move seat!

I mean the Tommy has said, it was thought he might have borderline personality disorder at one point -

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/lifestyle/culture/tommy-tiernan-on-being-serious-about-comedy-and-his-concerns-about-the-culture-of-fear-in-public-life-846712.html

I shows up why in spades in this show, but it makes for interesting viewing on how the guests react to an odd atmosphere. Especially if they are not mates with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,187 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's called the Tommy Tiernan show because lets face it that what it is, Tommy's show. I haven't seen many of his shows but from what I have seen it's just Tommy asking safe shot questions. I have never heard him challenging his guests but then I guess the guests are not very controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,356 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Saw the boomtown rats supporting Queen& adam Lambert a few years ago and they were actually a lot better than I thought but felt odd for some reason. Bob is the king of the dad dance ha

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Saw the boomtown rats supporting Queen& adam Lambert a few years ago and they were actually a lot better than I thought but felt odd for some reason. Bob is the king of the dad dance ha

He is almost 70 to be fair to him. The Grandad dances would be more applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭FarmerBrowne

Can't stand the fella but have seen a couple bits of shows when on in the house, firstly he has deplorable posture when sitting down, posture of someone decades older than him and secondly what is with the hat on all the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

I would like to see Al Porter go on this show to give his 1st interview to discuss his problems of past few years. Dunno if it would do good or bad for him. It could be a first step back for him.

Can't stand the fella but have seen a couple bits of shows when on in the house, firstly he has deplorable posture when sitting down, posture of someone decades older than him and secondly what is with the hat on all the time?

+1

Watched Geldof and Carter last night, Bob talks some right drivel, he was right about one thing though that Tommy needs a new wardrobe. I see bob finally washed his hair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,820 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I would like to see Al Porter go on this show to give his 1st interview to discuss his problems of past few years. Dunno if it would do good or bad for him. It could be a first step back for him.

Nah you're grand. Al is alright where he is.

Advertisement