Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tommy Tiernan Show Thread - Mod warning, see OP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

mzungu wrote: »
    First two guests were top drawer.

That's a bit generous!

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭Icsics

They need to stick with just 2 guests. AC interview felt rushed & she was the most interesting of the lot

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭HBC08

gifted wrote: »
    She's fuming he didn't recognise her lol lol

All the botox in the world couldnt hide her anger that he hadn't a clue who she was,hilarious!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭mzungu

That's a bit generous!

I'm always benevolent this time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭HBC08

Arghus wrote: »
    Usually when I watch these interviews I warm to whoever he's talking too after a period,

But this lad is just an absolute spoofer.

We've all met a version of this lad at some time or another.

Usually a clown that emerges out of the smoke at a party with a guitar singing No Woman No Cry.
    How someone likes that ends up on primetime telly on a Saturday night in Ireland ? I've no idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭jammiedodgers

The irony of Nicola Tallant saying people care more about what they eat than what they shove up their nose and then having this nutcase chef, off his tits, on as a guest next.

Also Andrea Corr is a national treasure.

Every time I see Andrea Corr being interviewed I like her a bit more..

She's a true artist..

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭AdrianG08

Dont mean to offend but did yer man at the end have down syndrome? Genuine question.

Aside from that he sounded like a pure spoofer, Walter Mitty job crossing the north sea solo during storm brendan.

Total bloody hipster dope..

We have bloody firelighters here too ya clown..

Tommy asking him if he'd have been considered simple has to be my TV highlight of 2021 so far..

But like yeah.. he's just an evolution of the hipsters knocking around there the last few years..a product of the social media revolution of the last ten years.. everything is a narrative..a considered personality built around craic he read on the internet..

With an Irish begorrah twist..

I do think Tommy thought there was something wrong with him for a finish..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,224 ✭✭✭bobbyss

SeaFields wrote:
    I think he's a great interviewer. It just seems like a natural conversation. Guests just seem to open up to him.

I disdgree. He leaves long pauses. There's an unsettling silence between questions. Like as if he finds it difficult to come up with a question

Her hair loks odd. Needs a proper combing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Odeta

I think that Tommy Tiernan is a far better interviewer than Deirdre O’Kane. The last guest last night was a tricky interviewee - at one stage he said “vibrationally flirting with energy”! Tommy later commented “were you shi@@ing yourself?” It was all a bit mad

• Registered Users Posts: 51,902 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I think that last lad was locked in the Greenroom for far too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Tzardine wrote: »
    Thank you spelling fairy.

The song may be "classic" but it is still thrash.

Just trying to help you out, if you keep saying thrash I can only presume you mean the song is in the style of bands like Slayer, Megadeth or Anthrax but you would be inherently wrong as it is not characterized by overall aggression and fast tempo as is often common within the genre. So no, thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I really like Tommy but the longer this show has gone on the more morbid it has become. I was hoping he would ask Andrea about the brother though

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

AdrianG08 wrote: »
    Dont mean to offend but did yer man at the end have down syndrome? Genuine question.

Aside from that he sounded like a pure spoofer, Walter Mitty job crossing the north sea solo during storm brendan.

He is lucky to be alive, like wtf was he thinking after he was told not to go by an experienced sailor. I read the article RTE did on him, it is pure waffle
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0512/1137979-irishman-on-course-to-complete-mythical-sailing-voyage/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭briany

I actually quite enjoyed the last guest's story. Sure, he may be a neo-hippie with serious notions, but it was a nice yarn all the same. I see other people talking about not wanting to get stuck talking to him at a house party, but I'd rather be stuck talking to him than somebody else talking about football.
    I really like Tommy but the longer this show has gone on the more morbid it has become. I was hoping he would ask Andrea about the brother though

If you're talking about Jim's proclivity toward conspiracy theories, there's no delicate way to introduce that subject, and it's kind of lose-lose for Andrea to talk about.
    I think Tommy would have the sense to know that talking about it would probably make Andrea a bit uncomfortable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭youngblood

Thought the last guest was a breath of fresh air, v interesting, not often you get to hear people talking about an actual adventure and his story was v enjoyable, more of that please! World needs more adventurous people like this no matter how crazy some people think they are

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

youngblood wrote: »
    Thought the last guest was a breath of fresh air, v interesting, not often you get to hear people talking about an actual adventure and his story was v enjoyable, more of that please! World needs more adventurous people like this no matter how crazy some people think they are

It was great , was like trippin at a festival and meeting some random er for a chat :)

Enjoyed Nicola talant too

Fast forward the corrs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,971 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Tommy could give a master class on using silence to get interviewees to takk

Tommy could give a master class on using silence to get interviewees to takk

Tommy comes from a time where people didn't take masterclasses on how to talk..

Things have gone arseways since people started studying that sort of craic.. now you just have these interchangeable generic YouTube people moving their hands a lot..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 86,454 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

LilacNails wrote: »
    Andrea is one of the most beautiful women in Ireland, natural beauty and so down to earth.

What age is she? No forehead wrinkles, botox?

She looks like Dervla Kirwan from Ballykissangel and also Deirdre O' Kane

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Flowergirl201

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    What age is she? No forehead wrinkles, botox?

She looks like Dervla Kirwan from Ballykissangel and also Deirdre O' Kane

She's 46

Tommy comes from a time where people didn't take masterclasses on how to talk..

Things have gone arseways since people started studying that sort of craic.. now you just have these interchangeable generic YouTube people moving their hands a lot..

tenor.gif?itemid=5499296f

It's not about how to talk. It's about how to listen.

Tommy's a few years younger than me, btw, so I don't need any lectures on what times he come from. I've no idea who these YouTube people that you mention are, but if they're bothering you, try not clicking the Play button.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,018 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

It is funny that the best talk show is hosted by a chap that isn’t trained by RTÉ and didn’t come through the ranks

tenor.gif?itemid=5499296f

It's not about how to talk. It's about how to listen.

Tommy's a few years younger than me, btw, so I don't need any lectures on what times he come from. I've no idea who these YouTube people that you mention are, but if they're bothering you, try not clicking the Play button.

Yeah, it is about how to listen.. he's just very genuine I think.. it's an honest connection, and proper communication..

But the last few years there actually have been people giving classes on how to communicate.. and the focus on it leads to it being more superficial, as opposed to honest communication..

That was kind of my point..It has lead to a kind of generic YouTube personality.. where from a distance it can come across as confident and positive, but it lacks depth..

(It's been something that gets to me for a good while.. and your mention of masterclasses in talking to people just triggered me..)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,786 ✭✭✭✭briany

But the last few years there actually have been people giving classes on how to communicate.. and the focus on it leads to it being more superficial, as opposed to honest communication..

That was kind of my point..It has lead to a kind of generic YouTube personality.. where from a distance it can come across as confident and positive, but it lacks depth..

(It's been something that gets to me for a good while.. and your mention of masterclasses in talking to people just triggered me..)

It's not really a new phenomenon. The book, 'How to Win Friends and Influence People' has been out for decades - a book which contains advice that you would think is fairly obvious/superficial, such as 'smile' and 'become interested in other people'.

Yeah, it is about how to listen.. he's just very genuine I think.. it's an honest connection, and proper communication..

Yeah, fully agree - very honest, very sincere, very open (including his story about being notified by Garda of the threat to his life, and of not getting paid in border counties). It makes much more of an interesting conversation than a traditional celeb/chat show interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

Missed the start. Who are these two lads?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,505 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ten Pin wrote: »
    I suspect a non empty envelope of a non white color would have resulted in a much shorter and simpler planning process.

It was pretty funny how Tommy just abruptly changed the subject when he could sense your man's monologue beginning to gather steam.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,216 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Missed the start. Who are these two lads?

I haven't got a f***ing clue and don't think I'll be any wiser when it's over.

Advertisement