Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Incredible Yield

Options
  • 05-01-2017 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

I live in Baldoyle, and I have just noticed an incredible yield for a lucky person.
    The it's a 3 bed, 3 bath that was bought for 130K a few years ago, and is now renting out for 1650+ a month. That's a 15% yield.

Pretty incredible if you ask me

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,080 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's not a 15% yield unless 130k is the current value.

</pedant>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Lumen wrote: »
    It's not a 15% yield unless 130k is the current value.

</pedant>

Well yearly ROI then. The person is still grossing almost 20K, on a house that cost 130K.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Well yearly ROI then. The person is still grossing almost 20K, on a house that cost 130K.

Doesn't tell you much unless you know it's current market value. I doubt it's been making that kind of return since it's original acquisition which would have been during a fairly stagnant market.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

I live in Baldoyle, and I have just noticed an incredible yield for a lucky person.
    The it's a 3 bed, 3 bath that was bought for 130K a few years ago, and is now renting out for 1650+ a month. That's a 15% yield.

Plus they may have had to invest in it to fix it up. Even in 2011 that sounds awful cheap.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

A few years ago people were saying not to buy. Best not to follow the herd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

The best bargain back in 2011 wasn't property. It was the solidarity bonds.
    65% over 10 years before tax! Guaranteed without having to lift a finger.
    No worry about tenants not paying or your asset being damaged by tenants.
    No rrb, no property tax, no calls about a broken washing machine.
    Yes the yield looks good. However for a risk free let your money do the work for you, the solidarity bond was the real bargain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Ermahgerd, buy it nao.

Wouldn't happen to be yours or belonging to someone you know?

CruelCoin wrote: »
    Ermahgerd, buy it nao.

Wouldn't happen to be yours or belonging to someone you know?

I'm 20 I wish it was mine. No I'm just really interested in property, and I was doing some research last night.

A few years ago people were saying not to buy. Best not to follow the herd

If only I was 25, not 15 back in 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

Look at one beds in the city centre during the same time period.
    They were selling for 70-100k in many blocks, attainable rent never went below €700 and these days they're renting for €1100+

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

If only I was 25, not 15 back in 2011.

I can't imagine that would have made a huge difference.

You wouldn't have been able to borrow money so would have needed cash.
    Yields at the time would have been almost non-existent or declining.
    Plenty of people telling everyone else to stay away from property after they'd got burnt.
    Similarly, property was seen as a high-risk investment.

I don't know why you're doing this to yourself, you weren't, you couldn't, you didn't. Even if you were and you could your probably wouldn't have.

Move on.

In the mean time, I'm off to calculate how much my imaginary apple shares that I wish I'd acquired in the 80's would be worth ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Lucky is buying a winning lotto ticket.
    The person who bought this house was probably a hard working individual who is now getting just reward for his efforts.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Lucky is buying a winning lotto ticket.
    The person who bought this house was probably a hard working individual who is now getting just reward for his efforts.

I do not mean lucky as in they didn't work hard. I mean right age, right place, right time with money.

Look at one beds in the city centre during the same time period.
    They were selling for 70-100k in many blocks, attainable rent never went below €700 and these days they're renting for €1100+

I was tracking a number of places over the years in Cork city, one example is a complex of nice apartments which were selling from between 110k and 125k about 3 years ago with rents never dropping below 850 or 900 euro and now some are renting for as much as 1300 and the sale prices have gone over 160k.

Similar to Hollister if I was in the position I am now two or a little more years ago I'd probably be looking at buying two places not finding it hard to find one that's affordable/worth the cost. Banks were lending then too.

I bought a house 2 years ago for 105k, now worth 170k. How's that for yields?

My brother who bought at the height of the bubble bought for 285k at the height of the bubble for a smaller house with a smaller garden in the same town now worth 130k, hasn't been to visit!

Any time i mention my house his tears are delicious. "You're a gob****e if you don't buy now, shure they'll only go up" he said.

Who's the gob****e now?

• Registered Users Posts: 259 ✭✭lcwill

I know of an apartment block in Dublin city centre where one beds sold for 90k in 2012 (with rents about 800-850/month) and are now renting at 1400/month and selling for close to 200k.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

My brother who bought at the height of the bubble bought for 285k at the height of the bubble for a smaller house with a smaller garden in the same town now worth 130k, hasn't been to visit!

Any time i mention my house his tears are delicious. "You're a gob****e if you don't buy now, shure they'll only go up" he said.

Who's the gob****e now?

Don't be too cocky. A large volume of this is luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Who's the gob****e now?

Nice brother you are.

As was said you got lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,656 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

10-15% yields for investors who bought at the bottom of the market arent all that uncommon, in fact with rents rising past 2007 levels they are actually normal for anyone who bought a unit to let during the 2010-2013 period.

That said the super duper yields are being enjoyed by the foreign property speculators who arrived here with the crash. iirc it was the American firm Kennedy Wilson who bought the entire Gasworks apartment complex right next door to Google. I forget what the sales price was but I remember working it out at the time that they paid circa 120k per 2 bed apartment. These apartments are now renting for almost 3k a month which is 36k per year. That represents a yield of almost 30% a year and they have owned them since 2010. Essentially the first 3-4 years rent would have paid for the investment and now they are in virtual pure profit.

I also know of a property investor who picked up a 4 story above basement and shop level unit not too far from Dublin Castle. He bought it up for a song in 2010- 150k and today the building is likely worth at least a million if not 1.2m. Me and some friends were astoinished by it but the thing is the building was sold by open tender, anyone could bid. It just so happened that it came to market at a time when no-one could get bank loans and even if they could most people were running scared of property as an investment. He picked it up for next to nothing and will get massive yields and capital appreciation from his investment. In fairness to him his timing was something else.

Property isn't bad at the moment if you have the money up front. 3/4% yield after tax, once you are mindful the rent currently is an all time high.

Anyone borrowing to invest in property with minimal deposit is getting into a poor enough investment IMO, that boat sailed 2/3 years ago.

• Advertisement

cronos wrote: »
    Don't be too cocky. A large volume of this is luck.

I had the option to buy at the same time he was, but i didn't leap at it like he did.

I took my time, did my research and made my offer when i felt the bottom had been reached, meanwhile scrimping and saving so that i had a deposit redy to go when i needed to move on it.

Luck had nothing to do with it.

Most people who succeed in investment believe that their success is due to skill rather than luck.

There's no way to distinguish one from the other.

Lumen wrote: »
    Most people who succeed in investment believe that their success is due to skill rather than luck.

There's no way to distinguish one from the other.

There is an element of luck in most things we succeed at but you can't just say there is no skill involved also and that people's decisions influences the outcome.

There is an element of luck in most things we succeed at but you can't just say there is no skill involved also and that people's decisions influences the outcome.
    I didn't say there's no skill involved, I said that it's impossible to tell from someone's investment performance what was the relative contribution of skill vs luck.

Who's the gob****e now?
    I had the option to buy at the same time he was, but i didn't leap at it like he did.

I took my time, did my research and made my offer when i felt the bottom had been reached, meanwhile scrimping and saving so that i had a deposit redy to go when i needed to move on it.

So in 2007 (height of the bubble) you had the option to buy ................ you decided not to.............. than bought 7 years later after scrimping and saving a deposit for 7 years more..... and bought a house for €105k?

You no doubt bought at a great time but the story has more holes in it than cartoon cheese from a mickey mouse episode.

Augeo wrote: »
    So in 2007 (height of the bubble) you had the option to buy ................ you decided not to.............. than bought 7 years later after scrimping and saving a deposit for 7 years more..... and bought a house for €105k?

You no doubt bought at a great time but the story has more holes in it than cartoon cheese from a mickey mouse episode.

I had the deposit ready, decided not to buy, then decided to go travelling for a year, blew it all away in the seedier parts of south-east asia and diving in new-zealand.

When i came back, i then saved for deposit Mk. II.

Not that that's going to remove the chip from your shoulder.

Not that that's going to remove the chip from your shoulder.

I have no chip on my shoulder bud :) (not everyone wants to live where you do)
    Your story was full of holes :)

Augeo wrote: »
    I have no chip on my shoulder bud :) (not everyone wants to live where you do)
    Your story was full of holes :)

Fair enough, didn't give enough details, appologies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

CruelCoin wrote:

No wonder he doesn't visit. Revelling in someone's bad choice is not a nice trait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Mod note

Please remember to remain civil and stay on topic when posting.

Advertisement